Garmin Woes (Read 216 times)

Julia1971

Anyone having Garmin woes or have any suggestions for me with mine?  The Garmin forums appear to be down.

Short version: I think my 610 might be completely whacked and my 220 isn't measuring distance.

Longer version:

I have a 610 and a 220.  I have not installed Garmin Express.

I normally run with my 610.  I've noticed my paces have been slow for the past week (about 1:00/mile slower than the week before) but I attributed it to heat/humidity.

Yesterday, I was talking to a co-worker who loves to talk about running with me and he said he's noticed his 620 is measuring short.  So, I thought maybe I should do my next run with my 220 and see if I notice a difference.

Last night, I put my 220 out on the porch to acquire satellite before heading out on my run.  I see the green thingee at the top and start my run.  A few minutes down the road I notice it's not showing distance.  Fine.  I run this route all the time so I can use the watch as a stopwatch.  I upload the time for the segments and they are fast.  (I ran the same course on 9/4 at 9:22 pace.  Last night, I got 8:27 pace).  Updated to add: I think I found a thread about this problem on the Garmin forums.

This morning, I went to Garmin Connect and created an interval workout.  I transferred it to my 220.  I put it on the porch, acquire a satellite, test it by walking a half block and it doesn't appear to show distance.  I go back and grab my 610 and do the interval workout.  The paces are slow, but maybe I'm just slow.  Smile  But, one segment, where I do go under and overpass, in particular was showing 10:00 pace.  I run this course often and know that interval is always going to be wonky but...

Other nutty thing I noticed in the last week with my 610 but thought maybe I was just imagining things include:

1. I created a workout with 4 steps.  I sat it out on the porch, was going to start my run and then noticed the 4th step was somehow first.  I thought to myself maybe I entered it wrong but I really don't think I did.  I really think the segments somehow reversed themselves.  I edited the workout back to how I wanted it.
    2. The watch itself was showing the wrong time.  I think it was off by something like a half hour.  I attributed it to me be slow - a 1:00/mile slower chews up time.  But, as the run went on, it seemed like the time corrected itself.  Again, I thought maybe I didn't read the time correctly.

It's a little frustrating to have two Garmins and not have confidence that either of them is working properly.  But, maybe that's because I really need to install express to get the firmware updates.  (Sigh).

Seems everyone's Garmins have problems. And you have two -- mo' Garmins, mo' problems.

May be the firmware update will do the trick, although then you won't be able to upload to RA, which may or may not be an issue for you.

I suppose the other thing that wouldn't hurt to try is just a hard reset, as general rule of thumb for any electronic device.

Dave

For fun you should wear them both at the same time and see if one can train the other to behave.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        Slo

I bought a 310xt early this spring. It's been nothing but problems.

From not transferring data...to indicating it's transferred data but not showing up on Garmin Connect. It won't shut off, it won't turn on, randomly locks up...

The primary purpose for purchasing this was it was the only model with a 20 hour battery life. It's nice for my attrition bike races.

My Garmin 310xt needs a hard reboot about once per year to stop it from misbehaving.  A hard reboot wipes out all settings, so it needs to be set up from scratch after.  I learned this after spending two full hours on the phone with Garmin tech support trying to get it to update, before the tech support person had me do a hard reboot.  Now I no longer update it, just reboot whenever it acts up.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My 210 is a frequent source of frustration...in large part because of the horrible charging clip design.  It seems to have fewer issues ever since a firmware update a while back, but it's still nowhere near as reliable as my 305s were and thanks to the frequent issues with the charging clip and discharged battery and crashing I suspect the battery has been forever damaged -- I only bought it a little over a year ago, but I doubt I could do much more than a 2 hour run before the battery would be fully drained.

I've been contemplating upgrading to the 220.  I've read mostly really good reviews of that model, particularly in terms of the improved charging clip design.  I wonder if you got a buggy one, Julia.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I went for a run in the woods the other day, and my 305 was not recording the distance accurately.  I guess it just couldn't get a good satellite signal, but it's odd because I haven't had that problem in the past.

I had no problems with 910XT or my current 220.   Love the 220!  It's comfortable, picks up the satellite quickly and is easy to sync with RA.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

My 210 is a frequent source of frustration...in large part because of the horrible charging clip design.  It seems to have fewer issues ever since a firmware update a while back, but it's still nowhere near as reliable as my 305s were and thanks to the frequent issues with the charging clip and discharged battery and crashing I suspect the battery has been forever damaged -- I only bought it a little over a year ago, but I doubt I could do much more than a 2 hour run before the battery would be fully drained.

I've been contemplating upgrading to the 220.  I've read mostly really good reviews of that model, particularly in terms of the improved charging clip design.  I wonder if you got a buggy one, Julia.

+1 to the first comment in bold; +1 also to the second comment, for a while, but I have since reconsidered. All in all, my 210 works OK, knock wood. I pretty much have a system down to get the clip connector to work. And it did appear to die on me a couple times, requiring a hard reset, but this has not happened in a long time. Mainly, since I am hearing so many problems with people who have bought new ones, and don't want to have to deal with the whole Garmin Express issue if it prevents uploading to RA, I am now in the mode of sticking with what works.

Dave

Julia1971

DaveP, I got 99 problems and my Garmins are three of them.  Smile  I actually have two 610s - one died on me last year but I was keeping it as a back up.  I thought of using it this morning but didn't have time to program the interval workout...  I like the products but honestly, I will be looking at other GPS' after I pull an Office Space computer smash scene on these three.

Ntown, LOL!  I realized together, they both would make a functioning watch.

SloHand, I haven't had those problems of late.  I do have the reverse charging problem from time to time, so I try to be careful about securely locking the watch to the clip.

JRMichler, I may try that.  I was a little worried about going back to the factory installed firmware.  I seem to recall there were some major fixes for both watches.

Zoom, I'd also heard good things about the 220 but haven't really liked it which is why I still use the 610.  It could be that I have a buggy one.

Teresa, I was also taking trees into account for my weekend runs...  Part of me thinks, it should still be recording the time of the run correctly and since I run the same courses, I should be able to tell if they are short or long.  And, I don't think they are.  Which is why I was just assuming, yeah, I was just running a LOT slower last week.  But, I thought I'd ask in case it wasn't just me.

kcam

Seems everyone's Garmins have problems. And you have two -- mo' Garmins, mo' problems.

May be the firmware update will do the trick, although then you won't be able to upload to RA, which may or may not be an issue for you.

I suppose the other thing that wouldn't hurt to try is just a hard reset, as general rule of thumb for any electronic device.

Not true in the FR220 case.  I have had Express installed since Day 1 on my desktop at home and have had ZERO problems uploading to RA.  I use the USB connection to upload and it works just fine, every single time.

There was a point when my 220 was completely hosed and wouldn't show time or pace though it had acquired satellite lock.  I went online to find a way to do a hard reboot and found that there was a new S/W update for the watch.  I updated it (via Express) and my problem was fixed (though I'm sure it wasn't due to the update ... probably a hard reboot would have fixed it as well).

If I were the OP I'd update the software on the 220.  There have been two updates put out by Garmin for the 220 since I bought it and I've done both of them via Express.

mikeymike

On the 210 I've used Express to install updates, then uninstalled it and re-installed the driver. It's really no biggie.

For a while I was just uploading from file since the 210 is just seen as a mass storage device, and I still do this sometimes such as if I'm connected via one of my Chromebooks. But since it was trivially easy to just re-install the driver, I went that way, which saves about 4 mouse clicks per upload.

I've never had a major problem with the charging clip that so many people complain about. I notice on a brand new laptop that I have it recognizes the watch much faster--my old one used to take as long as 30 seconds or a minute at times, but I just always figured that was a windows/USB driver issue not necessarily a garmin problem.

Runners run

Docket_Rocket

You might need to update the firmware or software and without Garmin Express you won't be able to.

Although I love my 910XT, it has been giving me problems with distance and/or paces on the same routes every day.  So, I just bought a TomTom Cardio Multisport after 10 years of running with Garmins and I cannot be happier.  So far, so good.  Same route? Same distance.

Hope you can figure out what's wrong with it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Not true in the FR220 case.  I have had Express installed since Day 1 on my desktop at home and have had ZERO problems uploading to RA.  I use the USB connection to upload and it works just fine, every single time.

Same for me, but with a 210 instead of 220.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So Express will/may work with RA after all?  I wouldn't bother, but I've been borrowing a pair of the Garmin power meter pedals and would really like to be able to view the data they've collected in the past few weeks, particularly in terms of potential L/R power imbalance so that I can work on correcting that over the Winter on the trainer.  Only way I can see all the data is by using Garmin Connect, which requires that Express plug-in.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay