0 to 5k! (Read 141 times)

jordanjon

Hi y'all!  After being out of shape for basically my entire adult life (6'2", 220 lbs), I recently started training, by walking 1.5 - 2 hours a day and switching to a healthy, sustainable diet.  I've lost about 10 pounds in the last month and change.

My goal is to start running, and hopefully start running 5Ks - I don't care how long it takes, I just need to get there.  The problem I'm having right now is that I find it very tough to even jog for more than a half mile. Right now I can consistently walk a mile in just under 20 minutes  wearing 2-pound weights on each ankle.

Do you all have any advice for how I can build up my endurance and train myself to start running?  I'm absolutely committed to this, but I am not in any hurry and willing to put in the effort to train.  I really appreciate any help you all can give me, and God bless!

Get rid of the ankle weights.  They are not helping.

I suggest shortening the walks to about an hour, and picking up the pace a little.  Walk comfortably fast, as if you were trying to get somewhere.  You should be able to carry on a conversation the entire time.  When your comfortably fast walking pace gets down to about 16 minutes per mile, then try running.  At first, just run a little bit now and then in the middle of your walk.  Then a little bit more.

The correct easy running pace is that pace at which you can carry on a conversation.  You run/walk easy to build your aerobic base, then the speed will come naturally.

Ten pounds weight loss in one month is a little fast if you are doing serious training.  I suggest eating a little more, and relax your weight loss target to about five pounds per month.  Your theoretical lean and mean running weight is somewhere around 170 pounds.  Five pounds per month will get you there in a year.

And go out and run a 5K right now.  If it's like the local 5K last weekend, you will not be the last one to finish.  Whatever your time, it's your PR.  Then come back in three or four months, and set a new PR.

muppy

Congratulations on the healthy changes and weight loss!

I'm about your size also (6'2" and 230 I just like eating too much). I would suggest you google a plan called couch to 5k or C25K. It will help you reach your goals without doing too much too soon and risking injuries. Run at an easy pace, speed will come later. Good luck and have fun, it's just running!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I agree lose the ankle weights.

Couch to 5K is a good program. A body will develop cardio fitness faster than the body will adjust to the impact/pounding on soft tissue (tendons, ligaments, etc). C25K will pace you and help you build up. Take the rest days it has built it. Trust it.

Link to Couch to 5K running program.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

JanaLamb

Here's a good look of ankle weights:

"Ankle weights attach to the area just above your ankle joint to provide added weight to your leg motions. The point of the extra weight is to increase the strength of your gluteus, quadriceps and calve muscles due to the additional resistance, resulting in an increased muscle mass over time. However, due to the awkward positioning of the weights above your ankle, strains, sprains and minor injuries are more likely to occur while running or walking."

So basically, it doesn't help you with your walking and running.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

sluggo

John

Here's a good look of ankle weights:

"Ankle weights attach to the area just above your ankle joint to provide added weight to your leg motions. The point of the extra weight is to increase the strength of your gluteus, quadriceps and calve muscles due to the additional resistance, resulting in an increased muscle mass over time. However, due to the awkward positioning of the weights above your ankle, strains, sprains and minor injuries are more likely to occur while running or walking."

So basically, it doesn't help you with your walking and running.

I agree with this. I ran with ankle weights back when I was in my 20's. I did not suffer a catastrophic injury but I am pretty sure they hurt my knees in the long run.

John
              www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"