2013 Sub-3:45 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 1005 times)

NTS, can you put me in for 3:40 at Grandmas in June? I used the sub-4:00 thread last year to motivate me to run 3:46 in St Louis, so why not put a goal out there again this year!

whodateverything: how are you feeling leading up to your race? Have a great one, hope you nail it!

Welcome runlarryrun!

How's everyone's training going? Mine seems to be going pretty well--running lower mileage this week after the last couple weeks were fairly high for me. I was getting a couple of odd twinges: first the shin, then the knee, the kind of stuff where you know it's not a real injury, but a sign to back off a bit for some recovery..but actually I'd planned for this week to be lower, so that my 5K on Monday will be a decent check of where I'm at. I feel like I'm reasonably on track to shoot for sub 3:55 on 3/17 on the fairly hilly course here, maybe even 3:52 or so, will have to see how things go as training progresses.

Happy running, all!

PRs: 5K: 21:25, 10K: 44:05, HM: 1:38:23* (downhill), M: 3:32:09

whodateverything

Swift,

I'm feeling well. Picked up package yesterday, very nice tech shirt, will wear it tomorrow. The bib got my name on it so people can call out my name cheering, nice! Will do an Australian carbo-load run this morning. Never gotten a good finish line photo before, hope to do better this time (look up and not stoping watch). Keep remind myself think positive.....Well, a little queasy but I'll be fine. Forecast says 41-67F and sunny...perfect!

doctorjen

whodateverything - good luck tomorrow!  Sounds like good weather is on your side.

not too swift - good luck on your 5K, too.  Looks like a good week for reduced milage.

me - I'd been streaking since Thanksgiving, but the streak died last week during my long work week.  I also missed a long run, which kind of freaked me out, but I keep reminding myself it's only 1 run.  I just couldn't do it after working 7 days in a row and answering phone calls every night.  I may have been able to find it in me to run, but not when I finally made it home and my 9 year old commented she hadn't had any time with me all week!  This week has been better running wise.  I'm at 42 miles, with 16 on tap for tomorrow, 10 of those at marathon pace.  After a week with a lot of company on runs, I'll run that one solo tomorrow.

whodateverything - good luck on your first Marathon tomorrow! Sounds like the weather is going to be perfect. My only advise is to make sure you don't get caught up in all the excitement and go out too fast - just pace yourself correctly and enjoy the ride. Looking forward to hearing how it went.

myself - the weather is also looking pretty good for tomorrows race. Sunny and 46 at the start and 68 by the finish. A little warmer than I would have liked but not too bad (I don't run well in the heat). Went to the expo yesterday - nice Brooks long sleeve tech shirts this year. Not feeling 100% tho - fighting a cold / allergies the past few days so just hoping for the best. Will be going out with the 3:40 pace group and will adjust my pace depending on the effort level to stay with them - might have to let them go early if I'm struggling to stay with them. Talked to the pacer at the expo and he told me the course was tortilla flat - not what others have told me but I hope he's right...

Peoriarunner: when I glanced at the list, I didn't look closely enough and somehow missed that your race is tomorrow too! Blush Sorry about that!!! Good luck tomorrow, and I  hope you have a great race too!!

whodateverything

Peoriarunner: Thank you. Hope you wake up tomorrow feeling better and have a great and safe race!

whodateverything - good luck on your first Marathon tomorrow! Sounds like the weather is going to be perfect. My only advise is to make sure you don't get caught up in all the excitement and go out too fast - just pace yourself correctly and enjoy the ride. Looking forward to hearing how it went.

myself - the weather is also looking pretty good for tomorrows race. Sunny and 46 at the start and 68 by the finish. A little warmer than I would have liked but not too bad (I don't run well in the heat). Went to the expo yesterday - nice Brooks long sleeve tech shirts this year. Not feeling 100% tho - fighting a cold / allergies the past few days so just hoping for the best. Will be going out with the 3:40 pace group and will adjust my pace depending on the effort level to stay with them - might have to let them go early if I'm struggling to stay with them. Talked to the pacer at the expo and he told me the course was tortilla flat - not what others have told me but I hope he's right...

Unofficial garmin time - 3:43:32. Finally got my sub 3:45! Will try to get chip time and a RR tomorrow. Cool

Woohoo! Great job, Peoriarunner! Congrats!! Cool

whodateverything

I gave it my all but came up a little short: 3:46:10.

Congrats to peoriarunner. Good job!

whodateverything: wow, you got really close! Still, that is a great time, and knowing you gave it all you had is the best way to feel about a race, imo. You will get it next time!

Hi everyone, I was looking for a reasonable marathon goal for 2013, looks like the 3:45 might be it.

I have done 3 HM in the past 2 years, went from 2:04 to 1:44 in less than 12 months. I am training for an upcoming HM in end of April, and looking for a marathon in late September in Montreal (or sooner).

I would love to break 4:00, and would be thrilled if I went under 3:45. Am I nuts? or is this possible?

Cheers!

Steve

5K/22:33   10K/47:52   21.1K/1:44:06  42.2K/4:07:37
                          2014 Goals: 5K<22:00 10K<45:00 HM<1:40  FM<3:45

whodateverything - congrats on a great time in your first Marathon! So close! It took me over 2 years and 3 tries before I was finally able to crack the 3:45 - and you're right there already. Next time for sure Smile Would love to hear some of the details from your race when you have time.

stever1966 - Welcome! A 3:45 is definately possible if you're currently in 1:44 half shape. It won't be easy but if you pick the right race and the weather gods cooperate, it can be done. Keep training correctly and see if you can improve on your time with the race in April - should give you a good idea where you're at endurance wise. Good luck!

Arizona Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Race Report

Got up at 4:15 and went through the usual pre-race routine of oatmeal & coffee for breakfast, shower to help me wake up and going over my "what to take" checklist for the 10th time. This year they allowed runner drop off at the start instead of parking at the finish and then taking the cattle buses to the start - much nicer and convenient. Wifey drops me off an hour before start and I quickly run into friends from my running group and after awhile, I head over to where the j-johns are and soon discover how long the lines are. Seems like my line is taking forever and I'm getting nervous that I might miss the start. Finally get out with 7 min. to go - I practically throw my gear bag into the back of the UPS truck and jog to the start as the Anthem starts to play. I enter the back of corral 2 and I can see the 3:40 pacer all the way at the front - weasel my way closer but can only get to within about 30 ft. away. As I'm standing there I realize that I'm not cold at all - not a good sign as I know it's going to get pretty warm as the race goes on. Gun goes off and I figure I'll use the first few miles to slowly catch the pacer since the first 5 miles are straight & flat. 1st mile it's pretty crowded but that helps to keep the pace where it should be - then it starts to thin out and I speed up slightly to reel in the pace group.

1 - 8:24

2 - 8:05

3 - 8:12

4 - 8:13

5 - 8:29

I'm within about 10 ft. of the pacer now and my pace has slowed to where it should be. We make a right hand turn and begin a long straight climb for 3 miles. I take my first GU just before mi. 6 - I start to worry that the effort is a little too much and hope it won't bite me in the ass later in the race - I start to let the pace group go but I'm hoping to keep them in sight.

6 - 8:25

7 - 8:21

8 - 8:22

Finally, right after mi. 8, we turn and hit a downhill and I start to speed up - I make up most of the distance to the pacer and I'm with 30 ft. or so. Then another turn and back to uphill again and I have to let the pace group go. Take a 2nd GU just past the 10 mi. mark.

9 - 8:16

10 - 8:26

11 - 8:26

12 - 8:40

Another turn and a nice mile long downhill right after mile 12 - the pacer was almost out of sight but I'm able to reel them in again but still thinking that the effort is too high this early in the race. The next 6.5 mi. are an out and back on the same road - it's flat and winds through old town Scottsdale which was pretty cool. As I'm nearing the 1/2 way point of this out & back, I see a friend from my running club on the other side of the road - she's a very strong runner and it lifts my spirits knowing I'm within a 1/2 mi. of her. (She ends up with a PR of 3:31) I take my 3rd GU at about 15 miles.

13 - 7:47

14 - 8:15

15 - 8:20

16 - 8:14

17 - 8:28

18 - 8:37

We're out of the out & back now but I'm starting to struggle - the uphill combined with the high temp is starting to take its toll. I start dumping water on my head at every aid station. The pace group has been slowly pulling away and I can barely see them at this point. Even though the next few miles are on a slight downhill, my pace is slowing and I can't make up any ground on the pacer. Take my last GU just past mile 21 hoping that it will help.

19 - 8:42

20 - 8:31

21 - 8:42

I've officially hit the wall at this point - and at mile 22 I'm staring at a mile long uphill. But I feel good that I'm still running and not walking yet - I decide to keep running no matter how slow my pace gets. Then out of the blue, my left calf starts to cramp up. What the hell, it's never given me any problems before... I find just the right pace to keep it from cramping up completely - no problem since I can't really run any faster at this point anyway. At mi. 24 the same thing happens with the right calf - but I'm still running.

22 - 8:59

23 - 9:19

24 - 9:11

25 - 9:12

I'm  starting to wonder if I can still go sub 3:45. I lost sight of the pace group miles ago and I'm hanging on by a thread. Thankfully, right after mi. 25 there's a nice downhill and my pace picks back up a little. I'm starting to smell the finish line...

26 - 8:45

.2 - 8:43

As I'm running down the chute, I can see the clock above the finish line and I can see I'm going to do it. I see and hear my family and friends near the finish and it gives me one final boost to finish strong. Official chip time - 3:43:20 - a huge PR by over 16 minutes! I get my medal & picture, then I see a big pile of ice that has been dumped out of a trough by the volunteers - and I promptly go over and sit down right in the middle of it. They get a good laugh and even help by pushing more ice over the tops of my legs. After about 10 min., one of them helps me up and I make my way out to meet up with my family and friends from my running club. All in all, a great day - this was the first time I was able to run the entire distance - never walked once, even at the aid stations. Still think I can go sub 3:40 on the right course in cooler temps. Now to rest for a few days and decide on the next one. Smile