Zero Runner (Read 220 times)

runmichigan

http://geekfitlifestyle.com/octane-fitness-zero-runner-review/

The Zero Runner is a relatively new piece of equipment for runners and others to train on.  It was introduced at the Boston Marathon 2014 Expo and became available for purchase later in the year.  I was able to see it and try it out at American Home Fitness yesterday.  They have it on sale for $2800 until the end of the month.

Plus:

- quiet, no motor

- smaller footprint than treadmill

- less maintenance than treadmill

- app to work with Zero Runner

Minuses:

- not been out long

- learning curve to run on it

Has anyone purchased one or used one?  What is your opinion of it?  I recognize that running outside is the best way to go, but I am considering this to supplement my running.  Plus my wife want to use it for walking while she watches TV.

TortisHELL

save your money, turn off tv, take wife rollerblading or bike riding 

Feeling the growl again

Just another iteration on an elliptical.  If you're injured, better than nothing.  But definitely not running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

take wife rollerblading or bike riding 

1. Note OP's username

2. Go to weather.com and type in that location (pick a city, any city)

3. Rethink above suggestion

Dave

TortisHELL

I no. I live in MI. I bike ride in the winter. And roller blade. Really. 

kilkee

runktrun

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

runmichigan

Just another iteration on an elliptical.  If you're injured, better than nothing.  But definitely not running.

I tried out one at the store.  It definitely allows you to do your full running motion with zero impact.  An elliptical does not allow you to go through your full running motion.  So I would say it is equivalent to running with the exception that you do not get the impact.

runmichigan

http://static-img-cf-1.hgcdn.net/Media/DFHG_058_TonyLittleGazelle_THUMB_.jpg

patent wars.

While it does seem similar to a Gazelle, it has "joints" at the knee and the foot that allow you to a complete running motion.  The Gazelle only allows you to go back and forth.

Feeling the growl again

I tried out one at the store.  It definitely allows you to do your full running motion with zero impact.  

Exactly.  Your limbs may trace the motion, but it is in no way running.  You could buy a heck of a nice treadmill for $2800.

In running, you launch your weight slightly up and a lot forward with each stride, store some of that energy on the landing, and repeat.  None of this happens on that machine.  It is not anything close to running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

John Weigel

http://geekfitlifestyle.com/octane-fitness-zero-runner-review/

The Zero Runner is a relatively new piece of equipment for runners and others to train on.  It was introduced at the Boston Marathon 2014 Expo and became available for purchase later in the year.  I was able to see it and try it out at American Home Fitness yesterday.  They have it on sale for $2800 until the end of the month.

Plus:

- quiet, no motor

- smaller footprint than treadmill

- less maintenance than treadmill

- app to work with Zero Runner

Minuses:

- not been out long

- learning curve to run on it

Has anyone purchased one or used one?  What is your opinion of it?  I recognize that running outside is the best way to go, but I am considering this to supplement my running.  Plus my wife want to use it for walking while she watches TV.

I bought one in early January.  It is still pretty early, but I have no regrets in terms of my purchase.  All of this I will preface by saying I am a big believer in cross training for me, personally.  For me, I can only run a certain amount of true miles on the road, but that amount is not enough for me to be content with what I am doing.  I have used an elliptical machine for the past 7 or 8 years to supplement those miles.  While, I like the elliptical machine I had, it still did not feel like running.  When I saw the zero runner, I was pretty intrigued.

After checking it out several times at a local fitness store and doing as much research on it as I could, I made the purchase.  I liked it a lot from my first run on it and it is actually growing on me from there.  I can see why people would think it just another elliptical machine, but it really is a unique machine.  I've done my share of elliptical workouts and every one I've been on feels a little different.  Some are closer to my running stride than others, but they all have a fixed stride length.  The one I have used is fixed at 20".  The zero runner allows a runner to stride up to somewhere around 58".  The unique part,  though,  is that it is not fixed.  You can just run your natural stride.  Mine typically registers between 36" and 43" depending on how fast I am going.

The biggest reason I like it, though,  is that it feels as close to running as I have every felt on an actual machine.  The downside is that I can't get my heart rate up as high as when I'm running.  Since I use it as a supplement on easier runs, I don't have an issue with that.

In an ideal world, I would love to be able to put in 100 mile weeks on the roads like I used to.  Since I can't, this is as good as it gets for me.  There still is no replacement for actual running miles, but I would put this machine closer to maybe deep water running in terms of the closeness it feels to actual running.  Best of luck.  I'm hoping I still like it this much a year from now.

The learning curve was pretty quick, by the way.  It only took me a handful of workouts to get it down and feel comfortable running my natural stride.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

That. Almost none of the benefits of running.

Coupled with the whacked-out arm motion? No thanks.

Exactly.  Your limbs may trace the motion, but it is in no way running.  You could buy a heck of a nice treadmill for $2800.

In running, you launch your weight slightly up and a lot forward with each stride, store some of that energy on the landing, and repeat.  None of this happens on that machine.  It is not anything close to running.

Liz

pace sera, sera

runmichigan

That. Almost none of the benefits of running.

Coupled with the whacked-out arm motion? No thanks.

It is designed to supplement your outside running, not to replace it completely.  It provides a normal running motion just like outdoor running and treadmill running.  Through the use of the app it provides you a way to smooth and improve your running motion.  You do not need to use the handles for the arm motion.  You can use your normal arm motion.  Even if you use the handles, it is not a "whacked-out arm motion".

The big difference is the impact and push off.  Outside running clearly is the best in these areas.  Treadmill running typically reduces the impact (most treadmills are cushioned) and does not require as much push off (since the belt is moving you do not need to push off as much to cover the same distance).

I think jweigel's responses based on their actual usage of it most illuminating:

"The biggest reason I like it, though,  is that it feels as close to running as I have every felt on an actual machine.  The downside is that I can't get my heart rate up as high as when I'm running.  Since I use it as a supplement on easier runs, I don't have an issue with that."

"There still is no replacement for actual running miles, but I would put this machine closer to maybe deep water running in terms of the closeness it feels to actual running."

Still not sure whether it is enough for me to purchase one though.

Feeling the growl again

It is designed to supplement your outside running, not to replace it completely.  It provides a normal running motion just like outdoor running and treadmill running. 

The big difference is the impact and push off.  Outside running clearly is the best in these areas.  Treadmill running typically reduces the impact (most treadmills are cushioned) and does not require as much push off (since the belt is moving you do not need to push off as much to cover the same distance).

In the case of the poster above who has one, I agree that it is good for them because they have injury issues which limit actual running.  Anything additional is only good.  But, as they also indicated, they can't get their HR up like running.  That is an obvious sign that they are not doing the work that they would running.  It's just not the same thing.

Regarding the portion I bolded above, respectfully, I suggest you go back and study basic physics again regarding reference frames.  Yes, most treadmills cushion more and there is a small amount of reduction in effort (almost negligible, really) as you are not moving forward through the air.  But any notion that the belt is somehow moving you or helping you is definitively wrong, it's just basic physics.

bhearn

and does not require as much push off (since the belt is moving you do not need to push off as much to cover the same distance).

bhearn

In the case of the poster above who has one, I agree that it is good for them because they have injury issues which limit actual running.  Anything additional is only good.  

But then, don't we all? Anyone who is limited by avoiding overtraining, rather than by available time, is always fighting or worried about some injury or other. We can all only run so many miles. Personally I hate cross training, and I hate it even more if it's indoors, but I am a little bit intrigued here. Mightn't we all benefit from some extra time spent like this? And it does appear to be a nice improvement over elliptical mechanics.