Best running jacket (Read 149 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

For 40's to 20's Fahrenheit?   Wind and cold protection.

steph  

Julia1971

Do you have a price point?  Any extras you care about like pockets?

My favorite winter jacket is from Nike.  I think this is the jacket for this season.  I don't tolerate cold well but this jacket and a heavy long sleeve got me through last winter really well.  If it's the same concept, it has a very thin fleecy lining and the outer fabric is water resistant enough that dew and light rain will bead off.  It's also nicely fitted so I didn't have a lot of cold air between me and the jacket.  Last season's model had one small pocket, which was a disappointment but I still loved the jacket.  It looks like they added front pockets this year.  But, if you tolerate cold well and don't want to spend that kind of money, I'm sure there are plenty of other options.

Mysecondnewname

I like the Brooks line of jackets to protect from wind and wet.  (Silver Bullet or Infiniti)

However, I deal with the cold more by layering underneath the light jackets.

I have run in a jacket once that purported to do both, but I felt like the Stay-Puf man trying to run in it!

meaghansketch

2nding Brooks.  I have the Nightlife lite jacket and I love it.  It is very lightweight, but protects from wind and rain.  I've worn it over a longsleeved base layer and been plenty warm in 20 degree weather with wind.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks all.

No, I don't tolerate cold well at all and a pocket or two is always good.

It's so much harder to choose when shopping on line but our local stores just don't

carry much of a selection.

mta:  I agree, layering is better than a puffy jacket but not too many layers.

steph  

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Brooks Silver Bullet was the best money I've ever spent on a running clothing item. I'm always cold yet I don't like bulk, and it is amazing how lightweight yet warm it is.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

drrbradford

I don't know if you get The North Face gear in the US. If you do: I highly recommend the Cipher. It's not a running jacket but I've had one for three years now and run thousands of miles in it. It's got an 'active' cut so it's quite short, tapering in all the right places and narrow arms which all add up to a sweet jacket for distance running. It's WindStopper material on the body which is waterproof if kept properly treated. I paid £100 in 2010 and it's been worth every penny.

http://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mountain/the-north-face-cipher-hybrid-summit-series-windstopper-hoodie-sublime-green-man/21454/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=128520&country=uk&gclid=CM6whP6vjroCFQ_LtAodfAIAiw

The Project is pretty good, too:

http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/men-s-alpine-project-hybrid-hoodie-jacket-5.html?LGWCODE=88043;55615;3545&utm_source=google&utm_term=Men%27s%20Alpine%20Project%20Hybrid%20Hoodie%20Jacket&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed_UK&gclid=CJHynYGwjroCFS3HtAod_mQASw

Julia1971

Thanks all.

No, I don't tolerate cold well at all and a pocket or two is always good.

It's so much harder to choose when shopping on line but our local stores just don't

carry much of a selection.

mta:  I agree, layering is better than a puffy jacket but not too many layers.

The issue I ran into when jacket shopping online last winter was I couldn't get a good sense for the fabric from the websites.  I wanted a water resistant jacket and as it turned out, a lot of them were made from material that was very stiff.  It's not like I move my arms a lot when I'm running, but when they arrived and tried them on, I couldn't see myself running comfortably in them.  I had that issue with the Saucony Shadowlite and the Brooks Silver Bullet.  I gave the Brooks to my BFF (she gets all my running cast offs) but kept the Saucony because I thought it was the more comfortable of the two.  It's great in bad weather.  I'll wear it on medium and long runs when it's actually raining and it keeps me dry, warm, and happy.  But, I like a jacket with more give for everyday runs.  I also have the Brooks Utopia hoodie.  It's warm and pretty.  But, it's expensive for a running jacket and not water resistant.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks again guys.

steph