NOVA Marathon Special (Read 1033 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm gonna be watching this tomorrow night.... Next on NOVA: "Marathon Challenge" Marathon Tuesday, October 30 at 8 p.m. Check your local listings as dates and times may vary. (Broadcast in High Definition where available.) How do you run 26.2 miles if you have trouble making it around the block? With good coaching, discipline, and lots of group support, as NOVA shows when it follows 13 normally sedentary people through a training regimen designed to prepare them for an ultimate test of stamina and endurance. Created in cooperation with the Boston Athletic Association(R), which granted NOVA unprecedented access to the 111th Boston Marathon(R), and Tufts University, "Marathon Challenge" takes viewers on a unique adventure inside the human body, tracking the physiological changes that exercise can bring about.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Cool, thanks for the heads up Zoomie!

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Thanks for the reminder Zoomie, I had forgotten (and I definitely want to watch it). I just spammed a bunch o' runnin folk. Smile

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I'll have to mark that one down ( Smile) or find it on bit torrent( Evil grin).

Vim

Thanks! I hadn't heard about it. And following the Nova, at least in my area, is Race for the Soul, about Western States 100.
            Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Imminent Catastrophe

Also on NBC at 2 pm is a half-hour show on the Olympic trials.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Jeffrey

Thanks for the link!
                  Hopefully I dont forget tomorrow. Wink
                  va

Don't forget about tonight...

Finished!

Smile I taped it - it aired on Saturday on PBS this last weekend - haven't had a chance to watch it yet tho.
                      Walk + Jog = wog.
                      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                      va

Don't tell us what happened! run + jiggle = riggle Big grin

Finished!

run + jiggle = riggle Big grin
                          LOL hmm. Since I don't really run per say does that mean I woggle? hee hee hee
                          Walk + Jog = wog.
                          I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                          I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did anyone else watch it? I found it interesting that only one of the women really changed her body composition...guess I'm not the only one who runs a ton and has not lost an ounce of body fat (clothes fit exactly the same as they did pre-running and the scale hasn't really changed, either). Very inspiring...if those folks could do it in 40 weeks, then there's no reason I can't slog it out next Oct. after 2.5+ years of training. Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

I just caught like the last 15 - 20 minutes of it. It was cool seeing them finish.

Rick
                              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It was cool seeing them finish.
                                I got misty. I have no doubt in my mind that I will cross the finish of my first marathon and start bawling like a baby on the pavement. Eryn will hopefully be holding my hand as we finish, just as we did for my first 25k (her second). k

~ Sarah Kay