Is there a way to plan future runs? (Read 1879 times)

Carl A

You can enter the planned mileages as events:

1. On the Training Log tab, hover over New Run Entry.
    2. Then, click New Event Entry in the drop-down list.
    3. A number that you enter in the Subject field will show up on your calendar view.

Enjoy!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

alhizeer

im starting to think this could become really useful, but i would like to add to it.

can users be prompted to complete a planned workout (via private message, facebook news feed, email?)? OR have RA recognize achieved goals? it could be like a lightweight digital trainer.

Yes, I think that would be a great addition!

alhizeer

You can enter the planned mileages as events:

1. On the Training Log tab, hover over New Run Entry.
        2.  Then, click New Event Entry in the drop-down list.
        3. A number that you enter in the Subject field will show up on your calendar view.

Enjoy!

Yeah, that puts it on the calendar, but it has the same issue that my current kludge (having planned runs as a separate activity) has:

You still have to actually enter the metadata about a run after the fact rather than beforehand.  Maybe my workflow is unique, but I like spending 1 hour every couple of weeks planning runs than 10 minutes every day entering them in.  I'm much more liable to forget to do it and then miss detail.  If I plan my runs ahead of time, I can enter all the important metadata (shoes used, run type, etc) in one block of time.  Then I would like to either "check off" that I did what was planned or plug in the garmin to record what I did, without having to re-enter all that data unless I differed from the plan.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I get this.  I presently put it all in a spreadsheet for months.  Yes, I will deviate.  But I have my "plan" and a place to record actual all in one place.  I do think it is nice to most-mortem a performance and see if you trained under, over, or just right.  Somewhat subjective but would sure help if seeking a second opinion.

• Black Canyon 100k
          • RRR
          • Zane Grey 100k
          • High Lonesome 100
          • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
          • The Bear 100
          • Javelina Jundred (?)

Yeah, that puts it on the calendar, but it has the same issue that my current kludge (having planned runs as a separate activity) has:

You still have to actually enter the metadata about a run after the fact rather than beforehand.  Maybe my workflow is unique, but I like spending 1 hour every couple of weeks planning runs than 10 minutes every day entering them in.  I'm much more liable to forget to do it and then miss detail.  If I plan my runs ahead of time, I can enter all the important metadata (shoes used, run type, etc) in one block of time.  Then I would like to either "check off" that I did what was planned or plug in the garmin to record what I did, without having to re-enter all that data unless I differed from the plan.

I like the notion of being able to input a plan and see it on the calendar.  I work with a coach who gives me my schedule a month at a time.  It's not etched in stone, but I like to know what's on tap.  As a Garmin 305 user, though, I can simply enter my plan into Training Center and have the daily workouts on my wrist when I boot up the 305.

But I have to say, I doubt Eric is going to develop a tweak that lets you frame out a future workout even down to the shoes you wore, so that when you upload your workout data from that day's workout (when you finally do it), the data is neatly dovetailed into that framed-out entry.  That's a lot of coding effort for a quirk I suspect is unique to a very few users.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

eric :)

Training plan has been on my list of features to add for a long time.  I haven't been able to get to it, despite its importance, because it is a big project.  If a training log records what has passed, a training plan records what's ahead.  In essence, it is like creating another training log, with the added constraint that it works with the existing one.

I've been designing the training plan for quite a while now as I have a stack of notes on it.  For most features, I know exactly how it should be done before I write the code, which shows the training plan's complexity.  It is one of those features that needs to be correct from the start because rewriting it to fix design problems is very difficult.  On top of that, I work on RA in my spare time so I don't want to waste time on something that could result in a rewrite due to bad design.  I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

eric Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hey Eric, what would it take from us (your user community) to support you so that you could work on RA full time?

Wink

alhizeer

Training plan has been on my list of features to add for a long time.  I haven't been able to get to it, despite its importance, because it is a big project.  If a training log records what has passed, a training plan records what's ahead.  In essence, it is like creating another training log, with the added constraint that it works with the existing one.

I've been designing the training plan for quite a while now as I have a stack of notes on it.  For most features, I know exactly how it should be done before I write the code, which shows the training plan's complexity.  It is one of those features that needs to be correct from the start because rewriting it to fix design problems is very difficult.  On top of that, I work on RA in my spare time so I don't want to waste time on something that could result in a rewrite due to bad design.  I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

eric Smile

Thanks Eric.  I understand completely where you are coming from.  I'm a software engineer by trade, and I also have my own personal projects that I get to spend entirely too little time on.  It's just nice to know that it's in the development queue.  I'd rather not code something up myself since you already have such a great site Smile

runjoelrun

Thanks Eric for all your effort.  I've been using RunningAhead for 3 years now and still after testing other logs, it remains #1 in my book.

I'm wondering if a quick solution would be to create a new "status" field with the choices such as

- Future (planned future workout)

- Logged (regular logged workout)

- Failed (didn't happen)

Then you could condition the "Total" fields to only sum if Status='Logged'.

And all workouts would would default to logged unless the user specifies otherwise.

That way a user could just edit the future run, set the status to logged, and it would count.

You've probably thought of all this already, but just in case I wanted to toss it out there.

Joel,

Having a status field is not sufficient for this purpose.  The rest of the log need to be retrofitted to understand this new field.  Otherwise, planned, actual and failed workouts will be included in all the results.  It's a workable solution, but it's very tedious.  Imagine having to create a 12 week plan.  The hardest part of a training plan feature is the editor.  It should be simple to use while reducing the amount of data entry you have to do.  That's what I've been working on right now, when I'm not coding.

runjoelrun

Thanks Eric,

Yeah, I assumed you had considered it already, but wanted to toss it out there just in case.

If there's anything this community of users can do to lessen your burden, you let us know.  I've played around with a bunch of other logs, and RunningAhead really is the best for my needs.

Thanks again,

-Joel

Jimmy-RxP

Hi Eric,

Thanks for all the work you have done on this website!

I am a coach and I would like to use your website for my runners.  However, I keep running into the problem "Date cannot be in the future."  After spending the entire day on the website, I have come to the conclusion that if I cannot create detailed Training Plans for my runners, down to the individual repetition/interval segments, then I will not be able to use this website.

I cannot expect my runners to have the patience nor technical savvy to quickly create detailed records of all their workouts unless most of the legwork has already been done.  Within any given workout, the only things my runners can be expected to do are:

1) adjust segment distances

2) adjust segment times

3) delete unused segments.

I need to be able to create detailed Training Plans, to which my runners merely need to make small adjustments when logging their workouts.

1) Do you plan to create this feature?

2) If so, when?

I need to know ASAP so I can make a decision regarding whether to use RunningAhead.com or to go elsewhere.

Anyway, thanks again for the website - it appears there are countless social runners who love it!

ASU Club Coach,

I added the training plan feature earlier this year.  You can read all about it here:

http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/3df99ef75feb40cea1f766d46824b6ab

Jimmy-RxP

Eric, thanks for the quick reply.  I posted a reply in that forum topic.  Basically, I said that I don't think the forum answers the question.  It appears that the feature of which I am speaking is not available.  Yes, you can create a training plan, but no, you can't edit its details.  ...am I missing something here?

Hey Coach, you CAN edit a workout entry (or details thereof) in a training plan.  You have to click on "Training Plans" in the left menu, then either (a) click the particular plan name and then click "Edit", or (b) click the pencil (edit) icon to the right of the plan name.  AFAIK, you can't edit a completed workout that way, but you can edit any other workout, past/present/future.

If you just click the planned entry in the main calendar, that's for entry (I know it says "edit workout entry", but trust me) of the completed workout info.  It won't let you edit the planned workout that way.

Does that help?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau