Best quality least expensive running watch? (Read 285 times)

Gizmo2019

Thanks kenavl, I’m deciding between the 25 and the soleus....

Any thoughts?

As a reminder, a watch at this price point can track your time, mileage, and pace, but does not let you program interval workouts (ar least in the case of the Garmin 25). You can run them using the manual lap button, but cannot set it to automatically lap for you. Maybe NBD for you now, maybe you will wish you had it later.

Anyway, personally I would lean towards the Garmin. It is the biggest name in GPS watches, and therefore more likely to be compatible with any websites you may want to sync the data with. Once data is loaded from the watch into GarminConnect, it can be set up to automatically transfer to your RunningAhead log, Strava, etc. But IDK anything about Soleus, someone can maybe make the case for that.

Also I think this thread has been remiss in mentioning DCRainmaker.com as the definitive resource for reviewing GPS watches.

Dave

Gizmo2019

Thanks for the website.

Youre telling me that eventually I may want to program interval workouts. Does this mean set up a workout where the watch beeps to indicate to change pace at certain miles or time?

sorry I’m just trying to understand it all, what these watches are capable of and how their capabilities apply to my goals. I’m very NOT tech savvy!! The most modern robotic thing I own is an iPhone 🙄

no Apple watches, we still pay for cable tv, no google talking devices, tho I would like a roomba. Ppl think I’m from the 1920s.

Thanks for the website.

Youre telling me that eventually I may want to program interval workouts. Does this mean set up a workout where the watch beeps to indicate to change pace at certain miles or time?

Yes. Then it tracks your time/pace/distance for those intervals.

Dave

Gizmo2019

Thank you. I Have a lot to consider now...

Thank you. I Have a lot to consider now...

I wouldn’t overthink it. If you are just starting out, a lower-end model like the 25 will do what you need, and you can always upgrade after a couple years if you find you want more. Often they don’t last much longer than that anyway.

Dave

delicate flower

Often they don’t last much longer than that anyway.

Yep.  I've been through five Garmins in seven years.  And I use the expensive ones.

<---- SUCKER.

<3

Gizmo2019

Ouch..well that’s like all the technology these days...

Marylander

Yep.  I've been through five Garmins in seven years.  And I use the expensive ones.

<---- SUCKER.

I've bought several garmins myself. I've never had one stop functioning although I killed the speaker in several (FR205 and FR305, which allowed sweat in and I sweat a lot). My 310XT still works but I don't use it since I've bought a couple newer ones. I may have a minor addiction to these gadgets...

der_lizzard

I also recommend the TomTom's. I have the Multisport, which I got on sale a couple years ago for $85, but you ought to be able to find the Runner for about $100. I use mine with a chest strap heart rate monitor for heart rate zone training; the watch will alert me if I am above/below my target zone. I chose the TomTom because it was the cheapest watch that has a vibration alert (rather than a feeble "beep" which is pathetically inadequate for noisy city streets).  I train using run/walk intervals, so the vibration alert is a must have for me. I also love the Virtual Race feature; you set the time/distance you want and you can see exactly how far ahead/behind you are.  One issue is that you can't combine heart zone alerts with interval alerts (or if you can, I haven't been able to figure it out). When this dies I may upgrade to the Garmin 35 which I believe can simultaneously do run/walk with heart zone, but I'm in no hurry. The TomTom has far exceeded my expectations. Btw, TomTom is exiting the sports wearables business, so don't expect them to invest in upgrading the software or anything, but for basic needs, this is great.

Gizmo2019

Thank you! All these sound right up my alley. I like the vibration feature bc likely I will have music on (guess that makes me “not a true runner..” 😉)

Oh, I have music on earbuds for 95% of my runs!

But I'm not a real runner either, I don't pay $$$ to other people to time me, and to give me cheap momentos of the day when they timed me (aka "races").

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

dcowboys31

That is what makes this site so useful, you can ask or seek out advice and get very genuine help, not really any judgment. There is another forum out there that can be pretty funny to read but good luck in asking any questions as a new runner.

Jay

Gizmo2019

Yes I do like this site. I haven’t been on others, but am fully aware of ppl who like to “express themselves”  on forums, in manners they may not normally do so in person .

glad to hear I’m not the only one who likes their music!

im leaning towards the Garmin 25 but then there’s that prop 65 clause! It always gets me. The husband says soleus. The tomtoms are nice too but I can’t find any under $100.

still researching...