Should I Take a Break (is my body telling me something)? (Read 792 times)

Wally & Leela

I have been running 18 to 25(ish) miles per week consitstantly for a while now. I normally do 1 long run a week. I am currently deployed, so 1/2 of my runs are on the T-mill and the other 1/2 outside. But running outside is limited to about the equivelent of a 2.5 or 3 mile loop. About a week and 1/2 ago, I was doing my long run,and I felt great for about the first 4 or 5 miles, so at that point I thought I would try to do 12 miles(most of my long runs are usually between 7 & 10 miles). Well, at mile 6, I started to feel a bit of fatigue creeping up un me...By mile 8, I had to stop and talk a walk break. At that point, I figured...ok, I'll just do 11 miles. For the next 2.5 miles I felt terrible and had to walk several times. I only made it to mile 10.5 and for the first time in my "running life" my body pretty much said "forget you...I refuse to run anymore, right now" Well, I just chalked it up to maybe being a little dehydrated...no big deal. But, all of my runs for the next week(with the exception of one of them, which was a very good one) were not pleasant and I felt like I had to force myself to complete them. And when I tried to do my long run the following week(I was going to make it an 8 miler), At about mile 4, I just didn't feel like running anymore. It wasn't like the last one, when my body told me it "wasn't running" anymore. This time, I was feeling slightly fatigued again, and just decided I didn't want to continue. I took the next day off, and the following day did a 5 miler, that was again unpleasant until about mile 3.5...the liast 1.5 wasn't too bad. However, the next morning after the 5 miler, I woke up and had not been awake for 10 seconds and I got a MASSIVE charlie horse in my left calf muscle. That is only the second charlie horse I have ever had in my life....and the first one I have had since I became a runner(over a year now). And it is still painful, but doesn't seem to hurt when I walk or anything and I know that the pain from it will subside in a few days.... But, Do I need to take a break? Is my body telling me to rest for a bit? I really don't want to, I hate seeing a gap in my "bars" on the training log. And I hate seeing lower miles than normal in my log as well.

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. --Confucius

Dave

Could be a lot of things. I'd take a major cut back week and see how you feel afterwards. Nothing over 3 miles, 3 runs for the week, maybe 10 total. Easy miles. Might be coming down with a cold. Deployment stress. Not enough sleep. Could be almost anything. The one time extension to your long run doesn't sound like a likely cause. If a week of reduced exercise doesn't help, you might want to go to your local flight surgeon and get checked out to rule out anything major.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Scout7

Take a day off. Get some food and drink. Relax, don't put pressure on having to run. One bad week is not the end of the world. A bad month is not the end of the world.
          hmm... sleep? stress? food? Looking at your log... I don't think you are over training... haven't changed much... maybe change things up a bit... maybe run faster and shorter... or a bit slower and longer... or just accept the fact that you are tired... take 2 days off... get some rest... eat some veggies! I would think about Rest... and prerun fuel... if you are trying to run after say sleeping through the nite.... or running at 5:00 and you last ate at lunch at 11:30 AM then feeling like not running and being tired out are not uncommon at least for me...

Wally & Leela

Oddly enough(being deployed and all) I am getting about 8.5 hours of sleep a night & My job/life is not very stressfull at all over here. And my eating habits haven't changed at all since I have been here. I am almost inclined to say I am just in a rut from being over here and not having much option for variations in my running. Maybe I can just chalk it up to a bad week or two. I think I'll take 2 or 3 days off and let my sore calf muscle heal. And after that, start back slow/low miles for a week or so and see if I feel any better.

JakeKnight

/off-topic (sorta): Where are you deployed? What unit? (if opsec means no details, a general answer will work). Just curious. /on-topic As for your question, two options: 1) Take a week off. Completely. Stay away from running. Everybody gets burned out once in a while. When that happens I take time off, stay away from here, and wait until I really truly want to run again. 2) Or maybe go the other direction - and run more. Try running every day of the week for a couple weeks. For me, running daily actually makes me feel better, keeps my legs fresher. It sounds counter-intuitive, but I tend to go through what you're going through when I'm running less consistently. YMMV of course. I know you're eating well. Cuz you're in the Air Force. I assume its five-course meals and a mint on your pillow every night. Maybe you should lay off the mints. Obligatory: Yes

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Go Pre!

2) Or maybe go the other direction - and run more. Try running every day of the week for a couple weeks. For me, running daily actually makes me feel better, keeps my legs fresher. It sounds counter-intuitive, but I tend to go through what you're going through when I'm running less consistently.
                I couldn't agree more.
                kcam

To me it seems like your body's just fine but your subconscious mind is pissed about having to run more miles. I'd run through it.
                    We all have different motivation for running. The primary motivation for me is racing. If I get into a lull there is nothing like a good race to pull me out of it. Taking time off won't help me to race faster, so that wouldn't be an option. I would re evalute my training and try to come up with a plan to run a good race. That doesn't always mean running harder--sometimes it can be the opposite. However, it never means quitting.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Wally & Leela

I'm in Iraq...so any hill running I do has to be on the t-mill...since it is flat as a pancake outside...lol I appreciate all the answers/solutions/insites you guys have given me. As for 5 course meals...not so much...and I wish I had a mint on my pillow when I got back to my tiny room. I love mints But I eat 3 meals a day...and most of the food is pretty good. Some of the "chow halls" I eat in have a "healthy choice" room where I can eat fish, baked chicken, broccoli and such. So I'm not complaining Tongue

kcam

I'm in Iraq...so any hill running I do has to be on the t-mill...since it is flat as a pancake outside...lol I appreciate all the answers/solutions/insites you guys have given me. As for 5 course meals...not so much...and I wish I had a mint on my pillow when I got back to my tiny room. I love mints But I eat 3 meals a day...and most of the food is pretty good. Some of the "chow halls" I eat in have a "healthy choice" room where I can eat fish, baked chicken, broccoli and such. So I'm not complaining Tongue
                        Thank you very much for being out there for us - take advantage of the healthy choice room and keep running.