Bleeding Nipples (male) (warning - picture with bloodied shirt included in post) (Read 1781 times)

ilp

Compression shirts or very fitted shirts that don't' move is the solution. Much easier to find compression t-shirts, but good sleeveless or singlets that are compression are pretty hard to find.

Pay attention to the texture of the shirt.. use the smoothest texture possible. Mesh textures, while perhaps ventilating, will murder your nipples.

Body glide delays the inevitable by about 15 minutes, sometimes a little longer. It's worth always applying to your nipples unless you know you're wearing a truly tight/compression shirt that won't move.

You might feel a little self-conscious wearing compression shirts, but let me tell you, Nipple Chafe Prevention (NCP) trumps all concerns.

Amy262

Try ReSkin works for me as does BodyGlide

Purdey

Self anointed title

I have used duct tape for long races before - works well. For normal use I find zinc oxide tape to be adequate.

Man in Tights

5 often recommended solutions in order of effectiveness:

1) shirt-less + SPF15/30

2) Nip-guards (special bandages for your sensitive nubs).  Unfortunately, very expensive and you look like a dork.

3) Compression top (wool works better than polyester IMO)

4) Bodyglide 

5) Liquid Band-Aide (dries on hard -- good for when you've already caused issues like in the picture) -- stains until dry

I usually use #1 or #4 with a snug, but not compression wool shirt.

I have a suspicion that even air would abrade his nips.

xhristopher

Clearly, I have a problem. It's not usually this bad, but this was from this morning's run (16 miles). What are your best suggestions for addressing this? I've never used Body Glide or any of the other anti-chaffing products before, but it might be time. ;-) I'd appreciate your suggestions, from tape to different kinds of shirts to ointments to whatever .... Thanks!

yuck 

Hope you've recovered by now.

This post got bumped up from the old ages, and right when I was about to eat!  Ah well.... I did open it.... :-)

For any fellas with this problem, I have found the simple solution is to get those fabric type of Band-Aids, they stick well.  That solves the problem if you put them on before a long run. --- If it is a hot day and you're gonna sweat, then the way to guar-on-tee the band aids stay on is to apply some "New Skin" (available at any drug store or walmart), let that dry a couple minutes, then put the band aids on over the top.

A little prep goes a long way towards a more enjoyable long run or long race.  This I have learned first hand. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Thats rad

Nipple tassles, like the ones the girls t the strip club have

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Nipple tassles, like the ones the girls t the strip club have

That's what I wear, except they don't have the tassles.  I think Curad makes them, but I still feel like a stripper when I take my shirt off and look in the mirror.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

flauta

I use Dr. Scholes corn protectors.  The are donut shaped with adhesive on one side.  They are much better than nip guards - thicker and the adhesive works much better.  If I am going on a long run with a heavy shirt in the winter, I might put on a band aid over them. Works like a dream.  No more blood.

no suggestions to offer. I just want to know how far away they could hear you scream when you got in the shower.

no suggestions to offer. I just want to know how far away they could hear you scream when you got in the shower.

+1.  Why the hell does it hurt so much when you get in the shower?  I mean, c'mon!  Ouch!

I have found that those little round band-aids only work for a while.  Maybe a few miles at most.

Plus, I'm hairy, so they don't stick too well anyway.

The tape...I've tried that too, and it doesn't work too well for me.  Compression shirts are the only thing that really work for me, and with my big fat gut now, I look ridiculous.

Gotta lose some weight.

Also, it doesn't seem to be an issue for me regardless of the distance, if its not raining.

Jeff

Try a compression shirts or Liquid Skin.  The liquid skin lasts a few days.

SubDood

I think the real tragedy here is that Duckworth (the OP) had just earned this awesome shirt from running the Gopher-Badger Half Marathon just 2 days earlier. Perhaps the blood stains are symbolic of the fierce border rivalry ... Do you still wear the shirt?

Do you still wear the shirt?

I think that shirt qualifies as a crime scene.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I think the real tragedy here is that Duckworth (the OP) had just earned this awesome shirt from running the Gopher-Badger Half Marathon just 2 days earlier. Perhaps the blood stains are symbolic of the fierce border rivalry ... Do you still wear the shirt?

Ha! Actually, I do. It washed out well ... But, thanks to this thread (which I'm surprised is still alive) I wear those awesome Band-Aid Sport Strips ... and (TMI?) I shave a bit on my chest so that the adhesive sticks better.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.