what to wear in a triathlon? (Read 1101 times)

steveLGOR

My wife is planning to complete her first full sprint tri. She's wondering how to dress for easy transition and comfort. Anyone have any thoughts on what to wear?

S in Oregon

keeponrunning

I'm doing my first one in June, which will be 750m swim, 27k bike, and 6.5k run, so a little longer than a typical sprint, but certainly not an olympic.  From info gathered from other threads, I've decided to wear a pair of slightly thicker spandex shorts, a sports bra that dries quickly, and a really light, breathable top.  I did this because for my first I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on new clothing, which I'm assuming your wife probably doesn't want to either.  Hope this helps.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

I did my first tri in October and wore my bathing suit then pulled on some lightweight shorts and a tank top for the bike & run.  Worked fine for me and I didn't have to buy anything special.  Good luck to your wife...she'll have a blast!
        Progress Trumps Pefection

Hey, nice marmot!

Go here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

That site has pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about triathlons.

Good luck to your wife!

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

what are lions?

My wife is planning to complete her first full sprint tri. She's wondering how to dress for easy transition and comfort. Anyone have any thoughts on what to wear?

S in Oregon

you didn't mention time of year or temps. for a summer tri, i'd suggest either a tri suit, or similar separates. tri suits can be $$- if it's her first one, and she's not sure how into the sport she will be, may not be worth the investment.  as a cheaper alternative, quick-drying shorts and sportsbra are good for the swim. after, throw on a shirt w/the bib already pinned in- if she doesn't like race belts (i hate them).  i've never found the need for shorts w/chamois. most of the women triathletes i know prefer it, tho.  a small percentage like to wear swimsuits (of the athletic style), then add shorts and shirt, or just shirt.

i've done a few sprints in fall. for that i bought a 'bolero' (terry cycles has a nice one). arm warmers would probly work well, too. (sometimes you need something warmer for the bike). again, if she doesn't mind race belts, then a light cycling jacket or ls jersey works best.

best to your wife on her race!