50+ 1500m training (Read 48 times)

DanMoriarity

Are there any age 50+ middle distance runners in these forums? How do you train? I was an 800m and 1500m runner in high school and university, trained for road races and marathons in my 30s, was pretty unfocused and barely raced in my 40s but now at 50 with the world masters championships in 2020 in my hometown, I thought it would be a fun challenge to go back to middle distance training and racing for the next couple of years. I guess I'm looking for ideas on how to adjust my training to get decent results without overtraining or injury. I'm currently running about 25-30 miles a week with 2 interval sessions a week - 1 of 200s or 400s at 800m to 1500m race pace and the other of 800 or 1000m reps at about 3 k race pace. Anyone out there with ideas or stories to share?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Check the User Groups.  I know there are a bunch or masters runners who race on the track, but I don't know if they've got their own User Group or are scattered around.  Try the Frequent Racer Group to start.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I focused on 800m, mile, and 5K in my 40s, 50s, and early 60s, but since then I've moved to the dark side and run ultras now.  I might still be able to offer some suggestions on specific questions.  While never at the top level, I did manage to race 2:17.2 for 800m and 4:49.5 for 1500m in my mid-40s.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

the "Master Milers" group on facebook is a good one to join. You'd be surprised how many old MD runners there are, and how fast they are.

For me, I'm genetically predisposed to MD running, I have always found it easier to run 20 fast 400's than to do a 10 mile run. My PR's show a decline in anything that takes longer than 10 minutes to run. However, in my old age, injury is the thing that prevents me from dedicating much time or thought to doing MD races. An injured achilles from over 5 years ago acts up if I try to do much fast-paced training. I'm relegated to long runs, which I'm not suited for.

The best advice for old runners who want to perform at their best ability: don't get injured.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

DanMoriarity

Thanks for the tips. The masters milers facebook group looks promising. Cheers.