How does a triathlete train for a long running race? (Read 1239 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

A friend of mine's a triathlete and is currently trying to train for a 30K running race. He's having trouble balancing the running needed with the biking and swim workouts he's also doing. Any triathletes out there got some resources or secrets on how they would train for a major single-sport event if they don't want to give up the other workouts?

Roads were made for journeys...

Mishka-old log

Continue to train as usual. I used to do a ton of tri's, but found I could compete very well in running-only races. Your friend should find the fitness he has from training for all three sports will translate well to a running only race. The only recommendations I would suggest (which he may already be doing): 1. Make sure he is running at least 3 times per week 2. Try to increase one run a week to 15 or so miles
      Scout7

What distance triathlon does he current do? Usually, most people just make the runs longer. When you say he has trouble balancing between the three, what does that mean? He's hard pressed for time? Not recovering well? Depending on what his specific issues are would change the advice. But I would stick with the run more, have a structured run program, and use the swim and bike as supplements. Considering an Ironman distance triathlon consists of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a full marathon, he should be able to fit in some extra running somewhere.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

To date he's only done one sprint tri, but regularly runs, bikes, and swims. He's planning his second sprint tri in a few weeks. Mishka, if you're only running 3x/wk and you make your long run 15 miles isn't that just asking for an injury? I'm only familiar with running training and not tri-training...

Scout7

Not necessarily. It would be akin to using the FIRST program (google it). Because he's doing aerobic activities the other days, he should be ok. My opinion, it all boils down to goals. What's his goal for the race?
            Mishka-old log

As Scout suggested, the goal is definitely important. Does he want to run the fastest time possible for the 30k, or just complete it? If the answer is just completing, he really doesn't even need to hit 15 miles in training. He could get by with less. My original answer was from my own personal experience. I trained for an ironman distance triathlon a few years ago. The run portion of the race was a marathon. My running training up to that point was 2 to 4 days per week, totaling between 20 and 35 miles per week with a long run up to about 16. The other swimming and biking during the week kept me out of injury trouble. That level of running had me ready for the marathon portion of the race.
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks, guys. I'll pass on to him what you've said. Cool