Twitter (Read 1053 times)

Liptovsky

I'm using Running Ahead since i got a android phone and it's very nice.

But i have a suggestion, what about a twitter connection so every run can automatically be posted?

Agreed! I love the Facebook integration, but more and more people are migrating to Twitter! I would love to see Twitter support!

e454545rt

I'm also hoping twitter integration is implemented.

Imminent Catastrophe

I'm using Running Ahead since i got a android phone and it's very nice.

But i have a suggestion, what about a twitter connection so every run can automatically be posted?

That's more than 140 characters.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I don't quite understand twitter, so the following is a real question.

In what ways would twitter/RA integration be cool?  For example, when you say "every run can be automatically posted", does this mean "I enter a run in my log and it tweets out something about that run"?

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, Twitter is good for stuff like, 

@tsunamiwatch: Massive earthquake hits coast of Japan. Tsunami warning issued. All residents of Northern Coastal Japan urged to evacuate immediately. <www.link.com>

or

@cnnbrk: President Lincoln murdered. Actor John Wilkes Booth sought as person of interest <www.linktoJohnWilkesBoothePhoto.com>

You know, important stuff. 

but I really get tired of seeing stuff like:

@Danerunsalot weighed in at 179.10lb on April 26, 2011 at 04:29pm.

Like anyone cares. Really? 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

xor

No. Way.  He tweets that?

This improves my day even more than pissing off elkid.

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh yeah. 

I keep following him for the same reason that I love to watch/listen to infomercials. 

Prince of Fatness

I don't quite understand twitter, so the following is a real question.

In what ways would twitter/RA integration be cool?  For example, when you say "every run can be automatically posted", does this mean "I enter a run in my log and it tweets out something about that run"?

Generally the tweets are just a blurb with a link that takes you to the details, so I'd assume there would be a summary, like "Potato Head ran 5 miles today", with a link to the log entry.

Whether that is cool is for you to decide.  Personally, most people that I know outside of this place couldn't give a rat's ass that I run, so I don't use the FB integration and the same would apply to Twitter.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The whole point of twitter, for most users, it to microshare.

@trent: pesach has ended

@trent: hametz!  Enjoying cookies and bean burritos

@trent: headed to the grocery store to restock the house's hametz

@trent: mmmm.  Yazoo Hop Project.  Malty AND hoppy.

@trent: headed to check out RunningAHEAD.

@trent: why doesn't that kid of mine ever sleep?

@trent: I think I gotta pee

@trent: Nope, false alarm.

@trent: cripes, I DO need to go fold my laundry

Prince of Fatness

Well now. that sure is riveting.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

@Trent: Finn is considering joining Twitter now.  Hope he'll follow me.

@Trent: I still need to go do laundry.

@Trent: this Hop Project is mighty tasty.

@Trent: I wonder what is going on over on Facebook.

xor

Trent and the giant pesach.

Imminent Catastrophe

The whole point of twitter, for most users, it to microshare.

@trent: pesach has ended

@trent: hametz!  Enjoying cookies and bean burritos

@trent: headed to the grocery store to restock the house's hametz

@trent: mmmm.  Yazoo Hop Project.  Malty AND hoppy.

@trent: headed to check out RunningAHEAD.

@trent: why doesn't that kid of mine ever sleep?

@trent: I think I gotta pee

@trent: Nope, false alarm.

@trent: cripes, I DO need to go fold my laundry

Gotta disagree. I can't speak for most Twitter users but I think that the rebels in Iran, Libya and Egypt would take issue with that.  Twitter was a big part of toppling the Mubarak regime (they used it to organize demonstrations) and even today it is targeted by totalitarian governments because of its ability to disseminate information almost in real-time. 

Twitter was ridiculed when it first started up for exactly the reasons that you cited, frivolity, but subsequent events have shown how important it is. The US even urged Twitter to cancel a scheduled maintenance outage during a critical time so that Iranian rebels could continue to use it.

I thought my 21:53 post illustrated the dichotomy between frivolous and important Twitter pretty well. 

And, as I previously wrote, it's a great way of disseminating time-critical information.

Prince of Fatness

@Trent: Finn is considering joining Twitter now.  Hope he'll follow me.

Finn has joined months ago, and hope is not a strategy.

Not at it at all.