New to running/jogging/loafing: where to learn? (Read 475 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

And yet, she's someone you can admire.

Catfight!

#artbydmcbride

TJoseph can't be a troll with that cute doggie!

Couch25k is about jogging and not running, but you want to start by learning how to loaf?   Confused

yeah, 70 miles a week of run for 5 minutes, walk for two minutes and repeat .... Smile

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

(after reading the 1st sentence)

Was his name Robert? (aka SportsJester)

(after I finished reading your whole post)

Nevermind, if I recall from the videos, he's not fast.

POD Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

dirtroadrunner

Over striding, bending at the waist, looking down, swinging arms all over the place... I think there IS some skill involved in running.

You got me! I just was thinking this person is messing I with everyone so I was not so nice. I apologize!

dotatl

What is your problem?

They are multiple.  But let's stay on topic. Roll eyes

Funny!

And sad.  Let's pretend that the OP is not trolling.  This is what running has come to: ridiculous complexity.  Questions about form, footstrike, shoes, exact easy pace, exact weekly mileage, diets, and each expert telling you that if you follow this plan and wear these shoe (or no shoes) you won't get hurt.  It's mind-numbing and paralyzing...and stupid.

People just need to run.  And run more.

dontknowhow,

I am not sure where you heard you can't learn these skills from the Internet.  It is quite the opposite, the Internet is the best place to learn to run.  Runners run, they don't jog or loaf.  Your body will naturally become more efficient at running from high weekly mileage.  Many studies have shown this.  You should start off by running 70 miles per week (10 miles per day) and work your way up over 100 miles per week as quickly as you can by adding a long run (20+ miles) on the weekend and running twice a day (doubles) during the week.  I notice you are on the metric system in the SF Bay Area as you gave your height in centimeters. 70 miles is 112 kilometers and 10 miles is about 16 kilometers.  Running barefoot is a good idea.  It is not only cheaper than buying shoes, but will force you to become a toe striker instead of a heal striker.  Running on your toes is the perfect form.

You will have to modify your diet.  I recommend the "Running raw around Australia" diet. All the top runners have 3% or less body fat and that should be your goal.

On rising and before a short (15km) training run:  10oz pure spring water, 1 banana
              Breakfast and after short run:  Green smoothie (fruit, greens & water), 5+ bananas
              Lunch:   Either 20+ mandarines,10+ oranges, 1 melon, 1 pineapple, 5+ bananas and/or other fruits
              Dinner:  Either a large green salad with savoury fruits; tomato, cucumber, courgette, capsicum etc
                           or a large fruit smoothie, or 1 large fruit such as a melon, papaya, pineapple etc
              Snacks:  Any fruit or a freshly squeezed fruit or vegetable juice
              Before a long (15+km) training run: 20oz water, 10oz fruit smoothie, 2-5 bananas
              During a long (20+km) training run:  water, dates
              After a long (20+km) run:  Breakfast plus extra fruit especially bananas

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

I just read this thread, and all I can say is.....

Berndt das Brot

Purdey

Self anointed title

Haile Gebrselassie runs with one of his arms at a slightly funny angle - supposedly - it looks pretty subtle to me. He's also pretty fast.

Supposedly from carrying his books whilst running XXkms to school and back every day.  Probably untrue.

zonykel

Wasn't that frank shorter?

Supposedly from carrying his books whilst running XXkms to school and back every day.  Probably untrue.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Wasn't that frank shorter?

All of 'em.  That's their secret.

dontknowhow

Genuine question...What's the difference between jogging and running in your mind?  What's wrong with walking to build your fitness? from your posts sounds like you've got a fairly long distance to go to build up to running.

Jogging is what I see people in city parks and on trails doing, faster than walking, but slower than running. As far as I can tell, the form seems more like running than walking, but much more restrained, so an average person can do it for a long period of time. Running is what you see people do at tracks, in races, and when they are trying to get somewhere, or away from something, as fast as possible.

I don't see anything wrong with walking to build up fitness, I'm just worried that it will take too much time to get any benefit from it. I'm making the assumption I've learned how to walk properly, because no one has ever criticized my walking form, and if I'm not able to walk, I've got much bigger and more immediate problems than learning how to run.

dontknowhow

TJoseph can't be a troll with that cute doggie!

Couch25k is about jogging and not running, but you want to start by learning how to loaf?   Confused

yeah, 70 miles a week of run for 5 minutes, walk for two minutes and repeat .... Smile

No, I had just been told on another forum that I wouldn't even be able to jog right away, and that loafing would be the step below jogging. And I was not the one who proposed 70 miles a week.

Jogging is what I see people in city parks and on trails doing, faster than walking, but slower than running. As far as I can tell, the form seems more like running than walking, but much more restrained, so an average person can do it for a long period of time. Running is what you see people do at tracks, in races, and when they are trying to get somewhere, or away from something, as fast as possible.

I don't see anything wrong with walking to build up fitness, I'm just worried that it will take too much time to get any benefit from it. I'm making the assumption I've learned how to walk properly, because no one has ever criticized my walking form, and if I'm not able to walk, I've got much bigger and more immediate problems than learning how to run.

I think you are way overthinking this. Jogging, running, whatever. Just put one foot in front of the other, occasionally somewhat faster than at other times. A tried and true way to build running fitness is to run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, for 20 minutes, and each week you gradually increase the running/jogging intervals.

And please forget about loafing. It means what it says in the dictionary and has nothing to do with running (except inasmuch as it's a fun thing to do after a long run, but it's definitely not anything most of us need to practice Smile.)

an amazing likeness

Brisk walking is a very good aerobic workout and will establish a strong base of fitness for running to come. 60 - 90 minutes daily of steady, brisk walking will do much more to build fitness than 20 - 30 minutes of huffing, puffing running that leads to 2 days off to recover.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Jogging is what I see people in city parks and on trails doing, faster than walking, but slower than running. As far as I can tell, the form seems more like running than walking, ...

Running and jogging both have only one foot on the ground at a time and at some point are airborne. They're sometimes used interchangeably, although jogging is more often used for the recovery part when doing intervals.

If you have any hills, like mountains (see my avatar), near you, try hiking up those briskly. You will likely find the effort is greater there than an easy run on flat terrain.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog