Running stairs? (Read 1927 times)

Last year I worked down in the basement and management was of course on the 3rd floor so I was making that trip from 5 to 8 times a day. It got to where I would almost run up the stairs for all 4 flights. So now I am wondering if I should go back to that and run those stairs a few repeats once or twice a week as speed work. Advice, comments?

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Since I stopped smoking, I've been going up and down the stairs at work every chance I get. I don't run though, but I walk fast and try to take two steps at a time when possible on the way up. I doubt it's the same as a speed workout, but I still feel a little burn at the top so it must be doing something good for me.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I used to run stadium steps at Cole Field House at Univ of Maryland (back when Comcast Center was a parking lot). I found that running stairs was a great workout ... not sure how to count them, though, other than "running stairs" Confused
        2009: BQ?
        Jill_B

I fly.

When I was in college and on the crew team (I'm 5'2 and slight, not a good match but I digress) we used to run the stairs at Harvard Stadium to build up our quads. It was very painful. We had to run up and walk down. By the middle your quads are shaking so hard it's hard to walk, by the end it is impossible -- the running is actually easier than the walking. Needless to say, I haven't done that in years.

Bring it on.

You could keep up the stair work and then you'd be ready for the Bop to the Top in Indy next year. You race up the stairs to the 37th floor of the One America Tower. Smile http://tuxbro.com/Bop%20to%20Top%20entry%20info.htm Teresa
              You could keep up the stair work and then you'd be ready for the Bop to the Top in Indy next year. You race up the stairs to the 37th floor of the One America Tower. Smile http://tuxbro.com/Bop%20to%20Top%20entry%20info.htm Teresa
              I don't think so! 4 flights practice for 37 floors? I am nuts...........not insane! Windy in TH? Cold and windy here. Too windy to get out and run!

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

When I was in college and on the crew team (I'm 5'2 and slight, not a good match but I digress) we used to run the stairs at Harvard Stadium to build up our quads. It was very painful. We had to run up and walk down. By the middle your quads are shaking so hard it's hard to walk, by the end it is impossible -- the running is actually easier than the walking. Needless to say, I haven't done that in years.
                Hey Jill, I was actually just talking about going to run stadiums the other day. I miss that about college too, you know, that quivering feeling while stretching out after. Want to join me? Wink
                Jill_B

I fly.

I was actually just talking about going to run stadiums the other day. I miss that about college too, you know, that quivering feeling while stretching out after. Want to join me?
                  Oh yeah, I'm sure that's good for a bum hip.

Bring it on.

I don't think so! 4 flights practice for 37 floors? I am nuts...........not insane!
                    Its not as bad as you might think, really fun actually! I did the Go Vertical run up the Sears Tower (http://www.goverticalchicago.org/) in November. The idea of 103 floors was much worse than actually doing it. I placed much better than I thought I would. But anyway, as far as training, I did have a 6 story building I was able to use sometimes, and you can get a great workout on 4 floors, it just gets a little annoying have to go down over and over again.
                      Oh yeah, I'm sure that's good for a bum hip.
                      Hey, my doc said I needed to use crutches to get around. He didnt say anything about running stadiums. Wink
                        just gets a little annoying have to go down over and over again.
                        That is why God invented the man who invented elevators!! I have read that is what to do. Run up elevator down

That is why God invented the man who invented elevators!! I have read that is what to do. Run up elevator down
                          The frisbee team at my college used to do that in the sciences library - 14 floors up, one elavator down. Crew would run up and down. We ran stadiums instead of libraries. Go figure.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

We have this awesome stadium near where I work. It used to be open. For running the stairs up and down, all around. Now it is never open. That is probably best or I'd run too many stadiums. Sheesh.