Dead-to-me button request (Read 448 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

I think it would be great if you could tag certain posters with a dead-to-me button, and then their posts would not show up when you are logged in and browsing the forums. that way, if you were sick of reading posts from some of the trolls and crackpots, you could just pretend they were gone (except when people would quote them). Not sure if that would be technically possible, though

catwhoorg

Labrat

Most forums typically have an ignore function.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Latent Runner

Many other forums have an "Ignore Posts" feature where you can identify certain user IDs which you would prefer not to see.  That said, this feature only goes so far, if someone you don't block quotes the post of the user you do block, you'll still see their words.

Long story short, I don't see any technical reason why this forum cannot institute such functionality.  Of course, if I'm one of the folks you would block, then please disregard this message.  Joking

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
        • 2-mile: 13:49
        • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
        • 5-Mile: 37:24
        • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
        • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
        • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
        northernman

Fight The Future

Many other forums have an "Ignore Posts" feature where you can identify certain user IDs which you would prefer not to see.  That said, this feature only goes so far, if someone you don't block quotes the post of the user you do block, you'll still see their words.

Long story short, I don't see any technical reason why this forum cannot institute such functionality.  Of course, if I'm one of the folks you would block, then please disregard this message.  Joking

Smile

Probably I'd get blocked as well!

No, I was just thinking I'm getting so tired of reading posts with bizarre insults to others.

I do enjoy a good argument (logical or otherwise), but the offensive language is getting very tiresome for me. I must be getting old

eric :)

I don't think having an ignore button is in the best interest of the community.  If someone is posting inappropriate content, then he/she is an annoyance to everyone.  Instead of blocking individuals from each user, it would be better to block those individuals from the entire community.

I came up with a ranking system years ago but never added it because it was deemed as overkill at the time.  Maybe I should look into implementing it.  It's a voting system where if you like a post, you up-vote the poster.  If a user receives enough down votes, that person will not be allowed to post for a period of time.

eric Smile

bhearn

^ up-vote

keeponrunning

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I find myself strangely conflicted on whether I would down-vote or block anyone at this time.

keeponrunning

I find myself strangely conflicted on whether I would down-vote or block anyone at this time.

I dunno about Bhearn and the rest, but I was thinking of a certain "coach" who studies ostriches and t-rex and gives unsolicited advice.

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Latent Runner

I don't think having an ignore button is in the best interest of the community.  If someone is posting inappropriate content, then he/she is an annoyance to everyone.  Instead of blocking individuals from each user, it would be better to block those individuals from the entire community.

I came up with a ranking system years ago but never added it because it was deemed as overkill at the time.  Maybe I should look into implementing it.  It's a voting system where if you like a post, you up-vote the poster.  If a user receives enough down votes, that person will not be allowed to post for a period of time.

eric Smile

I'm a moderator on a couple of non-running related web forums, and both of them have temporarily instituted the Thumb Up/Down facility, and both times it was abused by a few vindictive individuals with an axe to grind.  Long story short, the voting thing doesn't really work as it just incites retaliation.

Fat old man PRs:

bhearn

I dunno about Bhearn and the rest, but I was thinking of a certain "coach" who studies ostriches and t-rex and gives unsolicited advice.

Actually I just said " ^ up-vote " because I thought it was cute. Not sure how I really feel about this; I'd have to think about it. I am conflicted about SJ's posts. If that's the worst we have here, we don't really have a problem.

Latent Runner

I know this may make me unpopular around here, but I rather enjoy SJ's posts and think they ring with more than a grain of truth.

Ducking for cover.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

--- If a 'block" button were allowed, there'd be no one left to talk to running T-rex coach"  (Shoeless running T-trex)....

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

zonykel

I know this may make me unpopular around here, but I rather enjoy SJ's posts and think they ring with more than a grain of truth.

Ducking for cover.  Smile

It's the insults that are the issue. The pseudo-scientific claims alone would not warrant a ban, IMO.

keeponrunning

It's the insults that are the issue. The pseudo-scientific claims alone would not warrant a ban, IMO.

That's what I meant.  I just included the pseudo-science reference to make it obvious who I was referring to.