Dead-to-me button request (Read 448 times)

kcam

I haven't read anything on these boards that is ban-worthy (except the obvious commercial spammers).  An insult? Really?   We're not RWOL.

xhristopher

I'm a moderator on a couple of non-running related web forums, and both of them have temporarily instituted the Thumb Up/Down facility, and both times it was abused by a few vindictive individuals with an axe to grind.  Long story short, the voting thing doesn't really work as it just incites retaliation.

Listen here. What you may call abuse may be a lovely feature here, sir.  The up/down feature would be just great. We could use it to conveniently vote up/down different points of view. Don't like someone's political or religious points of view (f they are actually posting about them or not)? Up/down vote. Don't like to see anymore about barefoot or ultra running? Up/down vote. Tired of hearing about cycling in this house if running? Up/down vote. Tennis? Up/down vote. A teetotaler frustrated with all the beer talk? Up/down vote.

northernman

Fight The Future

I don't think having an ignore button is in the best interest of the community.  If someone is posting inappropriate content, then he/she is an annoyance to everyone.  Instead of blocking individuals from each user, it would be better to block those individuals from the entire community.

I came up with a ranking system years ago but never added it because it was deemed as overkill at the time.  Maybe I should look into implementing it.  It's a voting system where if you like a post, you up-vote the poster.  If a user receives enough down votes, that person will not be allowed to post for a period of time.

eric Smile

Reddit has a nice system where users can up- or down-vote posts. The rule is not so much to use it as an agree/disagree voting method, but more to vote whether or note a comment adds value to the discussion, whether you agree with the poster or not. However, I'm not suggesting that for your excellent forums - I find the off topic posts about beer and whatever to be hilarious.

Thus, I prefer the personalized approach - to some people SJ may be entertaining, while to others (like me) his posts are obnoxious and of no value at all.

BeeRunB

All forums should be a magic place where we can make anyone and their words disappear forever from our awareness.  A special place where we can all be quick-critics of all that is written with thumbs-up, thumbs down, like-dislike, and five-star ratings. A glorious lubed level where our minds feel groovy and at peace forever and ever and ever. Get to work, Eric, and you'll be assured that you won't be the first one to get poofed into nothingness.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

Latent Runner

Listen here. What you may call abuse may be a lovely feature here, sir.  The up/down feature would be just great. We could use it to conveniently vote up/down different points of view. Don't like someone's political or religious points of view (f they are actually posting about them or not)? Up/down vote. Don't like to see anymore about barefoot or ultra running? Up/down vote. Tired of hearing about cycling in this house if running? Up/down vote. Tennis? Up/down vote. A teetotaler frustrated with all the beer talk? Up/down vote.

"Listen here."

Uhhh, are you lecturing me?

The thing is, prior to actually implementing the thumb up/down thing on the two forums, I was precisely in your camp.  What changed?  We tried it and saw what a failure it turned out to be.  Two web forums, two completely different groups of users with no crosstalk between them; same result.  Theory vs. practice; the theory is good, however, when put into practice, uhhh, not so good.

From my perspective, the "Ignore" or "Dead-to-me" button works well in that it doesn't color what anybody else on the forum sees; just the individual which opted to click the button.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

On even the best runs, in the most scenic places, there's invariably a big pile of moose shit on the path or trail or road. You can either take a picture, post it on facebook, stop and look at it for a few minutes, point it out to other runners, squat and add to the pile, poke it with a stick, run back to the car and get a blanket and some snacks and run back to the pile and hang out and watch it...or you can step over it and just keep running.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

No Talent Drips

On even the best runs, in the most scenic places, there's invariably a big pile of moose shit on the path or trail or road. You can either take a picture, post it on facebook, stop and look at it for a few minutes, point it out to other runners, squat and add to the pile, poke it with a stick, run back to the car and get a blanket and some snacks and run back to the pile and hang out and watch it...or you can step over it and just keep running.

But can you vote on it? Keep up...

Dei Gratia

But can you vote on it? Keep up...

Dammit.

Moose crap for Prez!!!

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    Joann Y

IMHO, I would suggest that voting and ranking posts is a bad idea. What makes this site lovely is that there are real discussions going on and people, generally, articulating themselves. The last thing we need (at least that I need) is one more place that people quickly judge and sway opinions based on the click of a button. We're not rats. I honestly don't know what to do about crackpots, other than ignore them. Step over that shit. I would really hate to see this site cluttered up with stars and thumbs.

Chasing the bus

What shipo said, and gville, and nemo, but especially mitochondria (two thumbs up!).

i vote for the ignore button.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                        Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

"Listen here."

Uhhh, are you lecturing me?

The thing is, prior to actually implementing the thumb up/down thing on the two forums, I was precisely in your camp. 

Listen here. I'm pretty sure you missed x's whole point.

Hint: he was using a literary device that kinda sorta rhymes with tyranny but not really.

Runners run

To be serious for a second I don't think we need an up/down button or an ignore button, or really anything that causes more work for Eric Smile

The community is capable of governing itself if it wants to. It is really not that hard to ignore the trolls on your own without an ignore button. On the one hand it sucks that sport jester is basically ruining like 60% of the threads right now, but on the other hand he could easily be marginalized if people would just stop engaging with him. It's not rocket science.

It seems unfair to request a feature to basically compensate for the fact that many of us have no self control in feeding the trolls.

And like Eric said if any one poster becomes so obnoxious and detrimental to the forums, we should just remove him or her rather than give individuals the ability to not see his/her posts.

My 2 cents.

Runners run

By the way I'm pretty sure this post won the thread anyway so the rest of us are just playing for 2nd.

Runners run

Joann Y

By the way I'm pretty sure this post won the thread anyway so the rest of us are just playing for 2nd.

+1