Heel Striking Leads to Injury? (Read 1215 times)

Here's the image of a different animal (not an ostrich) but illustrates well.  This kangaroo is putting her entire foot on the ground right now (you can't really see it)--not a cute joey with his paw on the ground!!. ;o)  See the round area right underneath a HUGE thigh?  THAT is the knee and you can see that on the ostrich image too.  And what goes down and, at the right angle, starts to go forward; that right angle is the heel.  The rest of it, the part you can't see, is her foot; yes, it's quite long and they don't use the entire foot to run (or leap), they only use their toes to run.  NO OTHER ANIMAL run heel-to-toe but anti-Leiberman homosapience runner.

Here's actually a better image.  What part of his "foot" is he using to run?

This one shows well too.  See the similarity of how WE pedal? :

Some of you might have heard "coil effect"?  It's something about Achilles tendon needed to "be fired up" to store energy before it propels you out.  I haven't quite studied it closely but, from just a glance at it, it makes sense to me.  And no animal illustrates this coil effect better than kangaroo.  If I remember it correctly, kangaroo has the longest (per ratio) Achilles tendon in the animal kingdom and they use this coil effect very, well, effectively.  When they are resting (as the first image), you can see they put down their entire foot and you can see the knee pointing forward and ankle backward.  When they run--or hop--, they ONLY touches their toes, probably never even put their entire foot down on the ground, and create some 30-feet strides.  That's almost like world record long jump for EACH STRIDE.  But then again, they are hopping on both feet which is illegal in the long jump event... ;o)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I wonder if Geb worries about his gimpy left arm form while he's polishing all of his WC and Olympic medals.

Have you ever noticed that Geb made a point of always racing with his "gimpy arm" on the inside of the track lane? Certainly not a coincidence. Therefore, obviously causal.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Molly

Interesting article about all the "forefoot is better" and "heel strike is better" assertions. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html Interesting takeaways from one study: -The vast majority (75%) of the elite runners land on the heel -About 1 in four (24%) runners landed on the mid-foot -Only 4 out of 283 runners landed on the forefoot But, the conclusion of that article is that there is scant evidence one way or the other.
              Interesting article about all the "forefoot is better" and "heel strike is better" assertions. http://www.sportsscientists.com/2008/04/running-technique-footstrike.html Interesting takeaways from one study: -The vast majority (75%) of the elite runners land on the heel -About 1 in four (24%) runners landed on the mid-foot -Only 4 out of 283 runners landed on the forefoot But, the conclusion of that article is that there is scant evidence one way or the other.

This study is a bit misleading too.  There is actually a difference between "landing on the heel" vs. "heel touching first".  Classifying and defining mid-foot, forefoot and heel landing really becomes vague and useless.  It would be interesting to ASK those elite runners where they think they land first...  I'll bet the number of "forefoot" strikers will go up.

I was gonna stop but couldn't help this.  Here is a good comparison:

Wow!!  This one's big...  When I was searching the image of ostrich, this one came up (hope this one is not as big...)

At first, I thought they were comparing the definition on her legs but, as it turned out, I guess they call this "ostrich beach chair"...  Well, what do you know?  We learn new things every day... ;o)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm confused -- which part of the chair is the ankle and which part is the thigh?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I'm confused -- which part of the chair is the ankle and which part is the thigh?

Oh, sorry.  I wasn't paying attention to the chair... ;o) 

Why is it sideways?

Check out the ankle on this cougar: 

JimR

she's married

Turbolegs

Somewhat related to what Jeff had mentioned in another thread, for distances like the marathon etc, is it possible to maintain a particular footstrike through out the marathon, especially a question to forefoot / midfoot runners who may start out that way in the race? Is fatigue and type of footstrike just correlated or is there causality as well from the former to the latter?

What about when you run trail i.e. uneven ground? There, you would have to continuously keep changing your strike pattern depending on how the ground undulates - so then, is there an optimum strike pattern for trail, if forefoot is "prescribed" for flat surfaces?

For a mediocre runner like me who wants to rise above mediocrity, i have fallen back on believing that mileage is the one non-negotiable factor in improving my running (not just mindless miles but intelligent mix-up of various workouts etc). The other is losing unwanted body weight but hopefully if i get the former right, the latter will be an outcome. Foot strikes / specific shoes / forced biomechanics etc all matter but dont take centrestage.

I dont sweat. I ooze liquid awesome.

Feeling the growl again

Check out the ankle on this cougar: 

Jeff, you should not be checking out cougars.  It only encourages them, and you are about the right age for prey.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

At first, I thought they were comparing the definition on her legs but, as it turned out, I guess they call this "ostrich beach chair"...  Well, what do you know?  We learn new things every day... ;o)

Chair?  What chair?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This has been one of the most entertaining threads in a long time. I like pictures.

Queen of 3rd Place

she's married

We they all are, that's what makes them fun. 

Ex runner