Running in sub freezing temps (Read 1043 times)

Finished!

Alright, I had planned on running when when I travel - however, living in the desert southwest has made it so 1) I am not very tolerant to the cold Wink and 2) I do not generally have the gear to be running around in freezing cold temps - hiking, yes, because I don't sweat as much - running? not so much. That and I'm not sure of the ice conditions either. Recommendations? Dreadmilling is not an option - no gym is available and no family/friends have one I can "borrow" Course, I wont be traveling long and I could just say "oh well, I'm resting" and pick back up the training when I get back....
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
    spacedcadet

I'm doing all my runs at the moment in temperatures between -3 and +3 degrees centigrade (26 - 37 Fahrenheit), usually in snow and ice. Ugh! Not really that cold, but colder than I guess it must be in the desert! :-) Everyone will tell you to wear lots of layers which a) helps keep the cold out better and b) means you can take the top ones off as and when necessary. For runs in winter temperatures above -2 degrees (28) I wear standard running tights, one pair of socks, a long-sleeved sweat-wicking top and a light shell-suit jacket over the top. I also wear a wooly hat and gloves. If the temperature goes below -2 I'll stick on a thermal long-sleeved t-shirt over my wicking top. And if it's REALLY cold I might put some shell-suit trousers over my tights. That's taken me down to -10 (14) without a problem. Personally, I far prefer running in cold temperatures than in hot ones!
        I tend to follow the same regimen. However, at night I throw on my "cyclops" headlight on before heading out. I went out yesterday in the freezing drizzle (34 degrees) and felt a bit overdressed. One little trick that I picked up from RA was to stuff your shoes with newspaper after a wet run...it worked brilliantly. I think the most important part is to have gloves, the heat your body will generate will suffice. I too would prefer to run in the cooler weather. Depending on the distance I don't have to worry about toting along water!
        Scout7

I've read where they say to dress as if it's about 20 degrees warmer than what it is. You'll start out cold, but warm up pretty quick. As for what I wear......Shorts. Long sleeve shirt. I have a couple real thin wind/water resistant jackets. Adidas makes some good ones; I also have one from Pearl Izumi, their Zephyr jacket. If you don't have gloves, wear old (clean) socks on your hands.

Finished!

hmm. I'll have to write and see if there's snow/ice on the roads - that will also be a killer for me, as there are hills along the route, and no sidewalks. Right now, the temps (almost midday) are still in the low single digits farenheight - things should warm up a little bit by the time I do my traveling, but not much. A friend of mine has suggested I stop by the local Y to see if they have guest passes available.
            Walk + Jog = wog.
            Scout7

The Y may not be a bad idea, either. I know my Y gives them out pretty easily.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Today I had a glorious run. It was about 15º F with windchill around 10. But the sun was shining brightly. That really makes a lot of difference in my running pleasure. I was mostly running on fairly packed snow over asphalt that wasn't too slippery. There were a few icy spots, but they were pretty easy to avoid. For clothes I had on a pair of heavy power-stretch fleece gloves, medium-weight Smartwool socks, and a polypro shirt with a fleece top and windbreaker on top. On my legs I had power-stretch fleece pants and wind pants. I was perfectly comfy. I worked up a sweat, but I was not overly warm or chilled. It was definitely one of my best runs in recent weeks. I did almost 5.5 miles. But I will say that I am fairly well acclimated to Winter weather, since I have always lived in the upper Midwest. I know that it takes some getting used to living in different climates, much less exercising. Perhaps you could bring appropriate clothes (layers) and try at least getting out the door and going a few blocks...then just seeing how you feel and turning back if you don't feel comfortable. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

princesspoppit

Thought I'd drop in and say hig and rub in the fact that it is a lovely 26 degrees here at 9am - and that's celsius not fahrenheit Cool Poppit Victoria, Australia
                  A peacock who sits on its tail is just another turkey.
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

*chases down Poppit and gives her a well-deserved kick in the pants* Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

spacedcadet

Single digits Fahrenheit? Now that's pretty cold! Shocked We're currently in the midst of the warmest winter on record here, so I've kinda forgotton what that feels like! Your body should pretty much take care of itself in those temperatures, but make sure to protect your face, neck and hands more than anything! If the air is still, a wooly hat should still do the trick. If it is windy it will be seriously uncomfortable, so I would recommend investing in a balaclava! Wink
                      JakeKnight

I've read where they say to dress as if it's about 20 degrees warmer than what it is. You'll start out cold, but warm up pretty quick.
                        Very good advice. I almost always end up warmer than I thought, except my fingers which at the moment are so cold from our 20 degree day that I can't type. Get some good warm weather gear, layer it ... and get the stuff with zippers - being able to unzip halfway into a run when find yourself unexpectedly hot is a godsend. Sounds to me like your question is a really good excuse to blow a lot of money at the running store. Smile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Yeah so Winter showed up today. Finally, I mean here we are in the 2nd half of January. It was 8F when I left my house this morning. 6F when I got back. -10 with the wind. My face was a bit frozen but otherwise I was okay. Wore a hat for the first time this year.

Runners run

vicentefrijole

I agree with what's been said so far. A few things to add: 1) Be aware of the wind (speed and direction)! It feels a hell of a lot colder to run into the wind than not. A wet, windy day at 25˚F is way more dangerous (IMO) than a calm, dry day at below 10˚F. If there is wind, I'd suggest you run a loop and start going into the wind. That way, you don't have to run into it on the way back when you may be sweaty/tired/overwhelmed. 2) Since you're traveling and may not know the area that well, consider doing a number of small loops (always staying close to home base) so that you don't have far to walk home if something goes wrong! 3) IMO, the most important articles of clothing for winter running are gloves/mittens, hat/earcover, large warm scarf. 4) If you're going for some long runs, watch out for chafing. You're going to sweat more than you expect under all those layers. Personally, I generally only wear a few thin layers on the rest of my body (just a couple layers of longsleeve technical fabrics, sometimes a lightweight windbreaker, nothing thick. I almost never wear tights as my legs are usually the warmest part), but I wear the warmest gloves available as my hands seem to set the temperature for the rest of my body. Also, I have a long and extra-wide scarf that I rap around my neck (as that area can really take a beating from the wind) and stuff the ends down the front of my shirt (acts as a little warming layer on the front, which gets most of the wind). Running in the cold definitely is a bigger pain (requires doing a lot more laundry!) than in the heat, but it does leave you feeling pretty awesome for the rest of the day! Big grin
                              It's hard to believe we were complaining about the warm winter just a week or so ago. I planted bulbs two weeks ago because the ground hadn't frozen yet. Tonight's run is going to be fun. The first steps out the door are always the hardest when you're in the single digits. It could be worse though. I always check the weather in other parts of the country. On the top of Mount Washington in NH today it's minus 24 degrees Farenheit with 72 MPH wind (gusts up to 92).

Finished!

Sounds to me like your question is a really good excuse to blow a lot of money at the running store. Smile
                                Thanks everyone for all your advice. As for blowing a wad of $ at the running store, unfortunately I can't bring myself to do it - I have a ton of technical clothing as it is (I do a LOT of hiking) and I've got a ginormous expense expected in a few months. My family tells me there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground, so the originally planned route isn't going to work, and it has me rather worried about traction. The query to the Y was not so positive - I'm not a member, and they don't do day passes - I don't think anyone of my family is my member either. It appears it has warmed up a little bit, so I think I'll see what all of my gear I can stuff into my pack (I generally still refuse to check anything on flights) and will see if I can't get a run in - if not, I can do a run when I get back, since I won't be travelling for too long.
                                Walk + Jog = wog.