Could use some help getting off the treadmill..... (Read 658 times)

I am looking for some advice on transitioning back to outdoor running. I have not been able to run outside since the end of November. Prior to that, I was running outdoors for over a year. I’m progressing on a return to run program post stress fracture. I only run every other day. I’m not quite sure how to proceed. Currently, I’m doing 5 intervals of .7 - .8 miles followed by 2 minute walk recoveries - total miles around 5. Apparently running on frozen ground does not agree with me, which is kind of a problem as I live in Alaska. Roll eyes By the time the roads/trails are ready for me to run on again, I anticipate 1 mile intervals. I’m not sure if I should work on reducing the walk breaks, or just leave them in for awhile. I guess I should mention that this was not my first stress fracture and I am progressing cautiously. I think I can get to a “real” indoor track, if not, there is a short indoor track I can use. I haven’t gone there yet, because it’s been easier to monitor intervals, walks, and speed on the treadmill, although I’m not sure if the treadmill is really a softer surface than the track. Should I be cautious about moving my workouts to the track as well? When I switch to outdoors, I was thinking maybe I could keep my mileage the same, but change the interval length to .5 with 1 minute walk breaks to see how I handled it – maybe every other run? Too cautious? Our summers are short, and while I want to be sensible about this, I don't want to be ridiculously slow about it either... Big grin Suggestions?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

Welcome, Chenille. Where are you in Alaska? (Duh. I just looked at your profile. Looks like you're near Anchorage.) Our lower elevations are mostly thawed, but muddy, in the lower Mat Valley area, so it's pick and choose some areas. The recent wet snow / rain softened some things up (like the soccer field complex and trails), so I went to some gravel roads in a closed campground. Avoid trails during beakup since it damages the trails. It looks like you might have gotten more snow than we did. We just got enough to be annoying and slow breakup down. I do run outside year round, using running snowshoes when snow is right. When you mentioned "real" indoor track, are you near the new 400-m indoor track in Anchorage? (Yes, folks, that's not a typo. It's the only one in North America, from what they've told us. I still don't use tracks though.) But I suspect in interior, things may still be rather frozen. I'd probably leave the walk breaks in as you extend your time. As you go longer, the walk breaks will naturally fall out when they're ready. That's how I rehabbed after AT/PF. I'm not sure I'd worry too much about monitoring speed, etc. on tm. When you're outside, just run at an easy conversational effort - be able to talk in complete sentences. If you need to, you could set your watch for however long to run then walk or use landmarks like power poles or trail intersections or whatever.. Depending upon how much you run on trails or uneven surfaces, you might consider running around an athetic field complex. That should be soft right now (although maybe not in Anchorage), although perhaps soggy after snow / rain. But if you got a lot of snow, you might want to postpone that idea for a bit. I've only done a couple laps on a track (red rubberized), but my vague recollection is that it might be similar to tm. (my body doesn't like straight / flat so I avoid them) You might try the track though just since it'll give you some landmarks for run/walking and you won't have to worry about ice, slush, traffic, whatever. You might check for hardened (gravel) trails / roads in Anchorage to run on, but I'm spacing any out right now at lower elevations. ERNC is still reporting ice and dirt and suggesting ice cleats, but I think their trails closest to the nature center are gravel. I just don't remember for how long. (I'm in Palmer, and do some trail races in Anchorage, but haven't been on that many trails there.) Have you had any analysis done of your form or gait or diet (need more calcium) as to why you're getting stress fractures? Or is it just too much too soon? PS: you might want to keep an eye out here for trail conditions in Anchorage, although it's seen through the eyes of bikers. http://akspokes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=493a2aa45d6383caf3f61a15a5a23877&f=28
      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        I'd probably leave the walk breaks in as you extend your time. As you go longer, the walk breaks will naturally fall out when they're ready.
        That sounds like very good advice to me. I've never run on a dreadmill, but I've seen lots of posts indicating the initial transition to road running can be challenging. Most recommend setting to an incline of 1 or 2% to approximate the slightly elevated effort. I think you are doing the right thing by erring on the side of caution, having to deal with setbacks would be a real bummer. If you are feeling great at the end of a run you can always add 10% of really easy running. Just listen carefully to what your body is telling you. Welcome back!

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Guess I'll just keep the walk breaks, and just try to take it one run at a time - going to head out to the dome this afternoon - I can get a punchcard for 10 visits, and that should see me through break up - hopefully - we got 10" of snow on Saturday, and our lows for the week are going to be around 25. Thanks for the advice Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group