New York Half Marathon 2017 (Read 31 times)

kteddycurr

Hello!

I'm running the New York Half Marathon that's coming up this Sunday. I'm coming from out of town, so I have no real notion of what the course is like (a course map will only tell you so much). I'm looking for advice from anyone who has run it before about the hills in the first half as you go through Central Park and then the wind during the second half. How much should I expect it to impact me and my time?

Thanks!

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I've done this many times in all kinds of conditions -- you're going to love it!

Here are my thoughts:

- Before the start: It's an early start and you arrive pre-dawn, so make sure you wear some throw-away clothes to keep warm until the start. There are places to leave extra clothes in all the corrals. Give yourself enough time to get through security and get to your corral. There are port-a-johns in the corrals, so I always get to the corral and then get in line.

- Central Park hills. Central Park is basically all rolling hills but there are three hills on the west side of Central Park that are notable. You will reach these after you re-enter the park on the north side, miles 3-5. They are not monster hills, but three in a row can be tiring. Be prepared and know that after mile 6, it is all downhill.

-Time Square. When you leave the park a little past mile 6, you will be running downhill on 7th Ave. into Time Square -- this is the highlight of the run! The crowds are huge and loud, you are so glad to be out of the park, and you are running through friggin Time Square!!! Just be careful not to get too carried away and go too fast. You can definitely pick up some time, but pace yourself -- there are still 6 miles to go.

--East side along the river. This is where you can encounter some winds! I usually start out with a hat and gloves, take them off in the park, and then put them back on when I hit this part. So just don't toss your gloves and hat hat if you take them off. I've also run on days when there was little wind and really enjoyed catching some breezes here. It's a pretty view, but seems to go on forever. There are several live bands which helps. Keep your eye on the Freedom Tower in the distance and you will find yourself making progress. You'll pass it around mile 11.5 and you'll be almost done.

--The tunnel. Around mile 12, you will descend into a tunnel that goes for about .5 mile before you come out just before the end. It's dark and kind of eerie (and your GPS may freak out), so be prepared.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Oh, I forgot to add -- there are many restaurants offering half marathon deals and discounts, so make your Saturday dinner reservation now! http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2013/nyc-half/run-the-city/dine

oldrunner59

I'll be running too. The weather isn't looking too promising.

kteddycurr

Thanks jerseyrunner!! I'm using this as a training run for Boston, and even if the weather is dicey, it should be fun.

I've done this many times in all kinds of conditions -- you're going to love it!

Here are my thoughts:

- Before the start: It's an early start and you arrive pre-dawn, so make sure you wear some throw-away clothes to keep warm until the start. There are places to leave extra clothes in all the corrals. Give yourself enough time to get through security and get to your corral. There are port-a-johns in the corrals, so I always get to the corral and then get in line.

- Central Park hills. Central Park is basically all rolling hills but there are three hills on the west side of Central Park that are notable. You will reach these after you re-enter the park on the north side, miles 3-5. They are not monster hills, but three in a row can be tiring. Be prepared and know that after mile 6, it is all downhill.

-Time Square. When you leave the park a little past mile 6, you will be running downhill on 7th Ave. into Time Square -- this is the highlight of the run! The crowds are huge and loud, you are so glad to be out of the park, and you are running through friggin Time Square!!! Just be careful not to get too carried away and go too fast. You can definitely pick up some time, but pace yourself -- there are still 6 miles to go.

--East side along the river. This is where you can encounter some winds! I usually start out with a hat and gloves, take them off in the park, and then put them back on when I hit this part. So just don't toss your gloves and hat hat if you take them off. I've also run on days when there was little wind and really enjoyed catching some breezes here. It's a pretty view, but seems to go on forever. There are several live bands which helps. Keep your eye on the Freedom Tower in the distance and you will find yourself making progress. You'll pass it around mile 11.5 and you'll be almost done.

--The tunnel. Around mile 12, you will descend into a tunnel that goes for about .5 mile before you come out just before the end. It's dark and kind of eerie (and your GPS may freak out), so be prepared.