Quad strain? (Read 67 times)

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Two Thursdays ago I ran an easy route but a mile into it I felt my left quad/hip flexor tighten, and I kept running, and then I kept running at a slower pace, and then I ran a Turkey Trot at a comfortable clip on a hilly course, and then I kept running, and now my whole left quad/hip flexor hurts and foam rolling is a TREAT.

It feels a little unstable -- that's a goofy word for something not at a joint, but it's as if the muscle isn't firing properly, which makes me limp a bit when I first get up from sitting.  Once I'm moving I'm fine, and while it's a little tender and lumpy I don't feel too bad.  I can do yoga and my mobility is still very good.  It just feels almost like a deep bruise.

I have basically no power or push-off on that leg, so I know I couldn't run intervals, but I am wondering if some gentle jogging would help or hinder recovery.  Thoughts?  I'm trying to avoid seeing a doctor mostly because I don't think it's that serious, but also because I seriously just fixed my SI joint after two months of PT and I think if I go back already the sports doc is gonna laugh at me. ;-)

an amazing likeness

From my reading of your description, sounds like you have a muscle strain in the upper quad / hip flexor.  The 'unstable' and limping first steps seem like you're describing the weakness which comes from the damaged muscle.

Generally my approach for a grade 1 strain is if easy running doesn't make it worse, keep going. If the runs make it worse, stop running and give it the time off it needs to heal.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

It worsened today so I took the day off from running again.  Kind of bummed but better to heal now than to lose another couple months to injury.

I swear this sport is about running just enough to improve without doing anything dumb that harms you.

SMART Approach

Since it is a running injury, it probably requires a bit of down time. I think 5-7 days should be fine and then start back slowly. See if any cross training movement bother it like biking or elliptical. If not, do those things while bouncing back. Easy stretching is ok only after area is warmed up. DO NOT OVERSTRETCH a tweaked muscle. I think you will bounce back fine but listen to your body.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

danworley

I agree, take some time off to let it heal.  Use the foam roller that will help as well.

MorisetteStevens

Sounds like you have a muscle strain in the upper quad / hip flexor.  If easy running doesn't make it worse, keep going.  If the runs make it worse, stop running and give it the time off it needs to heal. Try also to stretch your leg.

jpdeaux

From my reading of your description, sounds like you have a muscle strain in the upper quad / hip flexor.  The 'unstable' and limping first steps seem like you're describing the weakness which comes from the damaged muscle.

Generally my approach for a grade 1 strain is if easy running doesn't make it worse, keep going. If the runs make it worse, stop running and give it the time off it needs to heal.

Sounds like you have a muscle strain in the upper quad / hip flexor.  If easy running doesn't make it worse, keep going.  If the runs make it worse, stop running and give it the time off it needs to heal. Try also to stretch your leg.

Seems like maybe your quoting function is not working properly.