Undertrained for Marathon tomorrow, should I run it? (Read 249 times)

rbmaze

Tomorrow I am registered for my first marathon, Detroit.

I ran two half marathons this year, one in January the other in June and then I got up to a 16-mile training run on September 15. Then I got really sick for a week and then took a trip out of the country for two weeks, so I have essentially not run for over a month.

I'm thinking I should either not run it at all, run it and just go in at the half finish, or just go for it all and take it real slow and easy. What do you think? Think I can just mentally push through and run 10 miles further than I ever have before in my life?

Based on what I see in your log, I would choose to do the half for fun. I ran my first full marathon under-trained, and it was pretty painful.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I vote for run the half.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

I ran my first marathon March 2011 with about a 10-miler being my longest run, and I also got lax leading up to the Marathon... Perhaps 10-15 MPW.    Finished the first 13 in under 2, but took another 3 hours to run the second half and get to the finish.

Personally, I am glad I did it.  I would have been miserable having committted to my 1st, and not doing it.  For me, the last couple hours of "taking it easy/lots of walking" in the Marathon were worth it.  Better than not having run it.

So I suppose the question is:  If you don't do the full, will you spend months regretting it?  Or if you do the full and it takes forever for you to get to the finish line, will you be more bothered by the fact you got a terrible time?   --- Actually, that is 2 questions, but up to you to decide. Whichever version you do, have fun and good luck!   :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

I ran my first marathon March 2011 with about a 10-miler being my longest run, and I also got lax leading up to the Marathon... Perhaps 10-15 MPW.    Finished the first 13 in under 2, but took another 3 hours to run the second half and get to the finish.

Personally, I am glad I did it.  I would have been miserable having committted to my 1st, and not doing it.  For me, the last couple hours of "taking it easy/lots of walking" in the Marathon were worth it.  Better than not having run it.

I had a similar experience with my first marathon (you can see it at the start of my log). My 5:29 marathon was miserable, but I am glad I did it. If I had switched to the half at the last minutes, I don't think I would have continued running the way I have—I had to redeem myself.

Yes, I knew it was stupid at the time, but I would do it again.

My biggest mistake? Feeling great at the half and deciding to pick it up. Ha!

--

Nashville, TN

So? Did you run it?

rbmaze

So? Did you run it?

Yes, I did! Smile

I appreciate the responses and PMs I received giving me advice. Especially those who took the time to review my log.

Last night I was pretty sure I was going to try and go for it. Then I didn't sleep well and by the time I awoke at 4:30am had only about three and a half hours of sleep. So I was feeling way less confident this morning, haha! Got to the start and I was absolutely freezing, and totally wondering what the heck I was doing. Then I noticed that my bib was a different color than my dad's, it was green indicating this was my first marathon! I really didn't want to let myself down.

I knew I had to discipline myself and take it very slow. Started off at about 11 minutes/mile and I was proud of myself for holding back. I was being passed all over but I knew what I was aiming for. After the first two or three miles, I started feeling something in my right leg and was really worried it would turn into some serious pain, but fortunately that went away.

As I got to around the quarter-way point, six or seven miles, I started thinking I was going to go for the whole thing. Then at 11 or 12 I had definitely decided I was not going to turn in for that finish! It was a great feeling to suddenly be with only full-marathoners and half as many people.

Mile 14 or 15 started feeling pain in my knees. I was worried. Pain came and went in what felt like every part of both legs. Quads, calves, feet, toes. Made it past 16 and I was in new territory. Then the miles slowllyy wore down. I walked a bit at every aid station and drank gatorade and water. Had some M&Ms around mile 10, jelly beans at 18, and three energy gels between 17 and 23. I actually never hit a wall that I could tell. It was just the pain that I had to fight through. Probably the adrenaline that kept me going energy wise. I also had no chaffing or blistering thank god! I taped (well, with bandaids) my nipples this morning and wow such a good idea!!!!

It wasn't the  fastest marathon ever, but I am super proud of myself! 4:54 was my time. My family couldn't believe I finished it! I am soooo sore right now. Don't know if I will be able to walk tomorrow. Thinking of taking a cold bath, but absolutely no regrets!

<script>// </script><script>// </script><script>// </script><script>// </script><script>// </script><script>// </script>

<iframe id="ykframe" name="ykframe"></iframe>

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Congratulations Rbmaze!  One's first marathon is, first and foremost, an education.  Sounds like you got through it remarkably well, and I bet it's going to  motivate you to train a lot better for #2! Smile

muppy

Way to push it and finish your first marathon, congrats!

degregorius

I have the same concerns you did pre-marathon. I'm running the full Madison Marathon  A bout of bronchitis has forced me to take it easy for two weeks. Congratulations on showing self discipline in the beginning of the race and running slow.  I hope I can do the same.

I knew I had to discipline myself and take it very slow. Started off at about 11 minutes/mile and I was proud of myself for holding back. I was being passed all over but I knew what I was aiming for. After the first two or three miles, I started feeling something in my right leg and was really worried it would turn into some serious pain, but fortunately that went away.

Yes, I did! Smile ... 

It wasn't the  fastest marathon ever, but I am super proud of myself! 4:54 was my time. My family couldn't believe I finished it! I am soooo sore right now. Don't know if I will be able to walk tomorrow. Thinking of taking a cold bath, but absolutely no regrets!

<script>// </script> <script>// </script> <script>// </script>

All I can say:  That is awesome!  Glad you did the full!    That sentence above looks almost exact to one I wrote 2 years ago, the only difference being a 4:57 in my case, lol.   You'll still be waking up many days from now thinking "Man, I did a Marathon!"  Good stuff!

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

rbmaze

Bronchitis is actually what did me in back in September! I had a normal cold/sore throat for a few weeks and as I was recovering went on my 16-miler (then the longest run of my life). The next day I started getting sicker and had to take a day off work and got in antibiotics a couple days later!

I wish you the best of luck and hope you get better quick. I didn't feel fully recovered until maybe 10 days after I started the antibiotics.

I have the same concerns you did pre-marathon. I'm running the full Madison Marathon  A bout of bronchitis has forced me to take it easy for two weeks. Congratulations on showing self discipline in the beginning of the race and running slow.  I hope I can do the same.

<script> </script><script>// </script><script> </script><script> </script><script> </script><script> </script>

rbmaze

Thank you and yes I think this will prepare me well for my next marathon! Definitely will not be my last.

I recently moved back to my home state of Michigan from California, so I was telling my family that I may sign up for a winter marathon out west haha.

Congratulations Rbmaze!  One's first marathon is, first and foremost, an education.  Sounds like you got through it remarkably well, and I bet it's going to  motivate you to train a lot better for #2! Smile

<script> </script><script>// </script><script> </script><script> </script><script> </script><script> </script>