Cancelled. (Read 614 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sad Dane's very first actual birthday party was to be today...he just turned 7 and we were planning a bowling and pizza party with about a dozen kids. But we have -24ยบ windchills and gusts of over 40mph. Some secondary roads are impassable and most churches in the region were closed today. So no party. Poor kid. Cry Now I have to get around to calling all of his guests and relaying the bad news. We can't reschedule since the bowling alley is starting their weekend tournaments next week and aren't doing parties for a month or two, now. No

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh pooh. Well, I was wondering about that. I already forewarned the kids that it might not be happening. We were out last night about 7:30 and it was just starting to get bad. I'm so sorry!! Give Dane a big hug. We've got his presents here all ready for him, so maybe we can get together sometime soon (maybe even at the local bowling alley) and have a "mini" celebration. The kids were really looking forward to it.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Speaking of the local bowling alley, is Pinheads re-opened? Last I knew they were out-of-business. Such a shame...the management that took over a year or so ago ran it into the ground pretty fast. He's pretty bummed. I called all the families that RSVPd and all the kids were so looking forward to it. Stupid weather...remind me again why we live in MI! Confused I think what we will end up doing is a picnic in the Spring or Summer. Maybe at a beach or just a nice park with a good playground and grills. He can have an UNbirthday party. Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Maniac

Dane's birthday falls at the perfect time of year for parties in Arizona...You can even do outside stuff... Not meaning to brag, but if you're looking to move, you might consider the lovely southwest..... Just be prepared to suffer for about 4-5 months out of the year.... Not that accommodating a 7-year-old's birthday party is reason to move....lol. Sorry about the canceled plans...That sucks.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, Matt...I was just saying to DH last night as we were driving home from the movies on terrible roads "remind me again why we live in MI..." Of course, Winter is our punishment for beautiful Spring and Fall weather. Even Summer is pretty darned awesome when the humidity isn't oppressive. I have a Winter birthday, too. I can recall being bummed because I couldn't have beach parties like my brother with a July birthday.

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Maybe you can have his part for his HALF-birthday. We have some friends that have a celebration on the real birthday and the half birthday. Smile Oh, my daughter, for the last few years, gets shorted on her party too. Her birthday usually around Memorial Day weekend and we are either at the lake camping, or I am running a HM. Neither of those options call for a birthday party. I am going to try to do the half-birthday for her (except that it will be around Thanksgiving) Good luck! Smile Jilly
              "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's what we're thinking would be fun. His half birthday would be in early Aug., so a MUCH more conducive time of year for being outdoors. A BBQ would be a nice way to celebrate.

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sorry Dane's party had to be cancelled. That's hard when you're 7! 6 monthgs is an eternity to wait for a party at his age. Do you think it would help to do something sooner? azredbirds, different parts of the country (well except southern California, I guess!) just have to put up with icky weather different parts of the year. I grew up in Texas, and my birthday is July 14. Ychh! It was too hot to even plan pool parties, usually. One year I was excited because it was "only" 97 on my birthday! Now I LOVE living in Maine, because the weather is usually spectacular on my birthday. That's why I live here, lol.

Maniac

azredbirds, different parts of the country (well except southern California, I guess!) just have to put up with icky weather different parts of the year. I grew up in Texas, and my birthday is July 14. Ychh! It was too hot to even plan pool parties, usually. One year I was excited because it was "only" 97 on my birthday! Now I LOVE living in Maine, because the weather is usually spectacular on my birthday. That's why I live here, lol.
                    We should all live where the weather is nice during our birthdays....That's how people should pick where to live!! The secret to a lifetime of happiness...That's it!!!

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We should all live where the weather is nice during our birthdays....That's how people should pick where to live!! The secret to a lifetime of happiness...That's it!!!
                      That's not a bad idea--we all have Feb. birthdays in this house, so we should move to AZ! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

Gotta TRI

That's not a bad idea--we all have Feb. birthdays in this house, so we should move to AZ! Big grin
                        After the race conditions I ran in today ( see 1st race report ever ) I would LOVE to move to AZ!!!
                        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yep, that's what I did, so it makes sense to me!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yikes, there are already schools closed for tomorrow. Backroadrunner's kids have no school. I think this is about the 12th snow day for them this year. If Dane's is closed tomorrow it will be #4 for the year and we still have at least a month of potential snow days ahead.

~ Sarah Kay

Poor kid! Happy belated birthday to Dane. I have never had to cancel a birthday party due to weather, once due to sickness. I bet he's very bummed, I know my kids would be. I thought of you today Kirsten. As I was walking my youngest up to the school and the wind was blowing and we were freezing...I thought, wow, and it's just 8 degrees (who knows what the wind chill factor made it). You deal with temps much colder than that all the time!!! Brrrrr. I like winter but I don't want temps colder than this!

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Poor kid! Happy belated birthday to Dane. I have never had to cancel a birthday party due to weather, once due to sickness. I bet he's very bummed, I know my kids would be.
                                Thanks! Yeah, I think we were more bummed than he was. Yesterday there was a huge multi-car pile-up and several sections of major interstates were closed in the region. I'm really glad that we cancelled, even though it sure would have been a fun party. Dane still had school this AM and it took did an hour to drive them down to did's work and Dane's school--2x as long as it typically takes. So Dane's cupcakes went to school with him. Just as well...I do NOT need 2 dozen cupcakes at home! Wink

~ Sarah Kay