Creaky knees (Read 54 times)

fimmx

My knees are chatty. And seem to have become chattier in the last few months now that I’ve started spending more time on my feet. Lots of walking, some running, and I expect the running volume to go up some. And when I say chatty, I mean they creak! OMG do they creak. Both of them, every time I climb any stairs. Or do squats. They creak loudly enough that people around me get concerned.

But I have zero pain. No pain in or around the knees while walking, running, stretching, climbing - anything. Well other than random twinges while engaged in said activity. Anyone else have creaky knees? I haven’t been able to find anything definitively on whether this is a cause for concern or not. I do have a history of rheumatoid arthritis in my family so maybe I have that to look forward to.

Is is this a cause for concern? If yes, what sort of a doc should I seek out?

BTW, I am a 50 yr old female, fairly active, recently lost >15 lbs, training for a spring marathon. Gosh, this is the first time I’ve typed 50 yr old female anywhere since my birthday, I feel....something.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Gosh, this is the first time I’ve typed 50 yr old female anywhere since my birthday, I feel....so PRIME OF LIFE.

Sorry, I've got nothing on the knees.

kcam

Obviously I don't know about your situation but I've had creaky knees for many years and, knocking on wood, have never had any type of knee pain or injury.  I run a lot of mileage and always have.  I only hear the crackling (that's what it sounds like to me) when I do something like squats or where I go  into a seriously deep knee bend.  They don't creak in normal life or walking or running.  My solution?  I don't do squat(s)!

I'm no expert, but I have wondered this & read about it. A lot of the noises are totally normal. Some are gas pockets in your joints (like cracking your knuckles), some are from tendons/ligaments passing over the bone. I had a yoga instructor refer to a common noise associated with certain poses as "popcorn". But loss of cartilage due to arthritis may also cause noise. But basically if it doesn't hurt or isn't swollen, I wouldn't worry about it.

And 50 just means a new age group and better chance to place. So, congrats! And good luck in your marathon.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I wouldn’t panic if the knees aren’t sore or swollen, but Omega-3 fish oil supplements might quieten them down a bit!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)