Body Fat (Read 1011 times)

I'd love to be able to track my body fat with an entry next to weight. (great site!!)
    eric :)

redrunner, This has been requested before. I left it off because body fat is not a value that can be easily and accurately obtained. I've been considering the possibility of allowing for custom metrics. The body fat metric is definitely a good case for such a feature. I'll look more into it. eric Smile
      whamblen

For whatever it's worth, I like this idea too. I've seen scales for under $50 that will report a body fat percentage. No doubt the accuracy is somewhat suspect, but the repeatability on the one I have is excellent and it is very useful indeed for monitoring trends. I paid about $100 for mine a few years back. The $50 scales now appear to do everything mine does and more and with greater precision.

For whatever it's worth, I like this idea too. I've seen scales for under $50 that will report a body fat percentage. No doubt the accuracy is somewhat suspect, but the repeatability on the one I have is excellent and it is very useful indeed for monitoring trends. I paid about $100 for mine a few years back. The $50 scales now appear to do everything mine does and more and with greater precision.
          I hear that those are pretty decent, but they work by shooting an electric current through you. Not for folks that use pacemakers, or that have body fat percentages in the single digits. I think that it ceases to have any bearing on accuracy around 8% or so, if I remember correctly.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

bjoiner

+1

Also, it'd be great if there was a way to track weight/body fat separate from a specific workout.  I like to weigh myself in the mornings before I go for the day's run and I usually forget what the numbers were by the time I get back.

Can anyone suggest a decent device (scale, or what not) to that's affordable and reasonably accurate for home use?

I'm very skeptical of my home scale's body feature measuring.

It doesn't get much simpler than getting actual calipers: linky or this one.

I only trust my scale for trends, not for anything resembling a real value.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                Emil Zatopek

nantastic

Defy Gravity

I am one who requested this feature years ago and am still waiting for it to be implemented.  Respectfully, there are a large variety of statistics available to be logged, several of which I don't elect use.  Why can't you add one more box for those of us who choose to track body fat, whether you believe it is accurate or not?  Simply add it to the workout entry, and it can easily be ignored by those who don't want it, the same way I leave boxes empty or unchecked for the details which aren't meaningful to me.

Thank you for your consideration.

hootenanny: chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny

Julia1971

+1

Also, it'd be great if there was a way to track weight/body fat separate from a specific workout.  I like to weigh myself in the mornings before I go for the day's run and I usually forget what the numbers were by the time I get back.

FYI, you can enter weight as a health note.

PDoe

+1

Top left, select "New Health Note". Enter body fat %. Been doing it since I got the scale at Christmas.

Chris T

I also enter it as a health note. But, it would be nice to be able to chart it over time like I can weight.

#artbydmcbride

Holy cow!  How often are you getting your body fat accurately measured?

Runners run

L Train

Tape measure.

DoppleBock

I know a dunk tank is pretty accurate ... what else is accurate?

I know scales, caliper testing and most other techniques have a high degree of inaccuracy.

Holy cow!  How often are you getting your body fat accurately measured?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

#artbydmcbride

I can't get over it...you guys seriously want to mark down your "body fat %" with every workout?   Confused

Runners run