Cross Trainer & Runner (Read 107 times)

willowonyx

Hello. I do bootcamp 4-5x a week plus a few runs during the week. The runs are varied, some weeks 2 x 3 miles at my race pace (7:30 min/mile) and then a "long run" of 10 miles on the weekend (9:30 pace). Some weeks I may only do a long run etc depending on how I am feeling as well as some weekend instead of a long run I will do a 6 miles run and then go do a 5k race, etc...

So with all that background I am doing 5 half marathons this year. I already completed one this year and it was a disaster due to multiple health issues. I did 2 HM late last year with much success.

I have my next one in 2 weeks. My plan is to continue my bootcamp Mon-Thurs this week, run 10 miles this Sat. Then next week go to bootcamp Mon-Thurs and rest until the race that Sunday. I do have horseback riding on the Friday prior but that is mostly quad fatigue.

Does this seem ok or crazy? All the forums I read of mostly of people who run LOTS of miles every week and don't mention anything about cross training and running.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, what do YOU do to not get "bored" during a race. I have music in one ear or listen to a book but find myself lacking concentration.

Thanks!

an amazing likeness

Running a half marathon, as with any race, takes two layers of running fitness -- first you need the running endurance to run the distance, then you layer the capacity to complete the distance at a certain pace. Base + pace. What you do in the next 2 weeks will not have all that much impact on your next half marathon -- you can't cram in endurance in two weeks.

You describe your training for running as 2 runs at 3 miles at race effort, and 10 miles easy - so in a week you're running 16 miles total. That's not much at all, and boot camp is only contributing some aerobic capacity and general fitness.  To train to run, you need to run.

If you're running a half marathon in about 1hr:40min (based on your saying 7:30 pace) on short runs and 1 longer run, 16 miles per week, that is impressive.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MoBramExam

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, what do YOU do to not get "bored" during a race. I have music in one ear or listen to a book but find myself lacking concentration.

Intent is not to be a jerk here, but if you get "bored" during a race, not sure what advice many of us could help you with.

willowonyx

Running a half marathon, as with any race, takes two layers of running fitness -- first you need the running endurance to run the distance, then you layer the capacity to complete the distance at a certain pace. Base + pace. What you do in the next 2 weeks will not have all that much impact on your next half marathon -- you can't cram in endurance in two weeks.

You describe your training for running as 2 runs at 3 miles at race effort, and 10 miles easy - so in a week you're running 16 miles total. That's not much at all, and boot camp is only contributing some aerobic capacity and general fitness.  To train to run, you need to run.

If you're running a half marathon in about 1hr:40min (based on your saying 7:30 pace) on short runs and 1 longer run, 16 miles per week, that is impressive.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I understand that my amount of running is not a lot to build up endurance, that is a concern I have. However, I was doing less running overall per week for my first half and it went really well.

Oh, I wish my race time for a half was 1:40. It tends to be more an average of 2:04.

willowonyx

Intent is not to be a jerk here, but if you get "bored" during a race, not sure what advice many of us could help you with.

I don't think that is a "jerky" thing to say at all. I am one of those mothers who is go go go, work FT, workout 2x a day, take care of the kids etc....so if I am not doing a million things at one time, I get "bored." So running alone can be "boring" to me. On my weekend long runs I listen to an audiobook. It helps me "zone out" so that I can relax and run. Just wanted some other ideas as to what to do while running long distances. I find that having something to do besides run, helps me pace.

If you can run 2x3 miles at 7:30 pace you should/can run 1:40 half. you might be getting bored during the race because you are not racing, but just running at your long run pace.

willowonyx

If you can run 2x3 miles at 7:30 pace you should/can run 1:40 half. you might be getting bored during the race because you are not racing, but just running at your long run pace.

I like the way you think. Wink

JimR

If you can run 2x3 miles at 7:30 pace you should/can run 1:40 half

I think she needs considerably more training to hit a 1:40 half.

Yeah not saying that she can run 1:40 on her current training, but she has the potential to get there fairly easily by adding some volume.

6 miles at 7:30 pace, followed by 7.1 miles at 9:15 pace gets a 1:51 Half, again not saying anyone would be running a Half like that, just that 2:04 for someone running 2 X 3 miles at 7:30 pace is quite an under performance.

JimR

I think she meant she does 2 separate runs of 3 miles each, not a single run of 2x3 miles.

That makes a bit more sense.  So basically racing pretty much every run, 3 miles at 5k pace, 10 miles at HM pace.

willowonyx

Thought I would chime in on my race paces (min/mile). This time varies by 10 secs depending number of hills or if a trail run.

5k is 7:20-7:30

10k is 8:20

Half is 9:20

Yes, the 2x3 runs are on separate days but after I have already done an hour of bootcamp which has a lot of cardio/running/endurance in it.

Mainly, I wanted to know from you all if you think running 10 miles at a 9:30 pace this weekend, when I have my next half the following weekend.....should I try to go slower or less miles?

JimR

Based solely on what you are saying, there's no reason to reduce what you are doing, it's not a lot.  Just keep the pace down a bit more than usual.

willowonyx

Based solely on what you are saying, there's no reason to reduce what you are doing, it's not a lot.  Just keep the pace down a bit more than usual.

Awesome, thank you!

To elaborate what was said you don't really get bored in a race because it's pretty uncomfortable. Usually the late stages of a race all you are thinking is "oh god how am I going to make it to the finish line". A 5k is pretty solid from gun to tape. Although I haven't raced one, I could see the first miles of a half marathon being a bit relaxy before it really starts kicking in. 

Good runners are usually focused on cueing off other runners, little aspects of their form, and just staying under control during the opening stages of a race. Basically, what you'll find is most "serious" runners will be focused on some aspect of their running during the race. Checking in how they are feeling, making decisions, etc.

If you aren't absolutely gunning for your best time though just relaxing and enjoying the scenery (if there is some), listening to music, etc. are all perfectly fine options.

Thought I would chime in on my race paces (min/mile). This time varies by 10 secs depending number of hills or if a trail run.

5k is 7:20-7:30

10k is 8:20

Half is 9:20

Yes, the 2x3 runs are on separate days but after I have already done an hour of bootcamp which has a lot of cardio/running/endurance in it.

Mainly, I wanted to know from you all if you think running 10 miles at a 9:30 pace this weekend, when I have my next half the following weekend.....should I try to go slower or less miles?

If you can run 3 miles in training at 7:30, your 5k race pace is MUCH faster; even if these runs are nothing but pure suffering the last mile. Good competition would easily have you running 7:20 pace or better, and chances are these are more controlled hard runs, in which case I could easily see 21:30-22:00 being realistic for 5k.

Your dropoff from 5k to HM is huge. That's probably in large part due to the low mileage and newly developing endurance, but it's almost too big. For your shape 9:20 should basically be jogging effort, and running a half at a little faster than that should be reasonable. But then again maybe you just ran, rather than raced, the half you did.

If you are just looking for one last longer effort before the half I'd say 9-9:30 pace is good. That should feel pretty relaxed. 10 miles a week out from a half when you are running 15mpw to begin with might be a little bit much...but at the same time you know your body best. Will you be nicely recovered from such an effort in one week?

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."