Anyone else a pescetarian/vegan (Read 893 times)

xor

People can call themselves whatever they choose, and that's cool. But what does it mean to be v or V... but also eat some meat? I always considered v on the list of "to be or not to be".

skygazer

mmmhhh, what does it mean to be v or V....

I eat (much) more plants than animals. Doesn't it make me more v? And round it up, I'm a v.

old-runner

I just started The 30-Day Vegan Challenge about 10 days ago and can already tell a huge difference...

http://www.the30dayveganchallenge.com

I'm 60 years old and ran my best race times at 59 but something like three months ago I got sick and just couldn't shake it. The doctor told me I had asthma and bronchitis and gave me some medicine (prednisone dose pack, etc.) but it didn't really help. I was beginning to think old age had caught up with me and I was just headed downhill and that's that. Then I happened to watch the movie "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix and I knew as soon as I saw it I was ready to change. I've been somewhat of a sympathizer to the cause of animal cruelty anyway but never enough to change. Then when the movie convinced me it was better for my health and I started reading up on it I knew I had to change. 

After 10 days I feel better than I have in months. At least 90% of the coughing and congestion are gone and I'm feeling amazing compared to what I felt like a month ago. Anyhoo, I'm in it for the long haul. No more dead chickens on my account.

Hoban-Jay

Except for fish and chicken, I'm a vegetarian.  And turkey.

Well.  And lean beef sometimes.

Other than that...

Except for fish and chicken, and cow and pig and eggs and dairy and honey, I'm vegetarian.

skygazer

I just started The 30-Day Vegan Challenge about 10 days ago and can already tell a huge difference...

http://www.the30dayveganchallenge.com

I'm 60 years old and ran my best race times at 59 but something like three months ago I got sick and just couldn't shake it. The doctor told me I had asthma and bronchitis and gave me some medicine (prednisone dose pack, etc.) but it didn't really help. I was beginning to think old age had caught up with me and I was just headed downhill and that's that. Then I happened to watch the movie "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix and I knew as soon as I saw it I was ready to change. I've been somewhat of a sympathizer to the cause of animal cruelty anyway but never enough to change. Then when the movie convinced me it was better for my health and I started reading up on it I knew I had to change. 

After 10 days I feel better than I have in months. At least 90% of the coughing and congestion are gone and I'm feeling amazing compared to what I felt like a month ago. Anyhoo, I'm in it for the long haul. No more dead chickens on my account.

Good for you and I mean it.

But,

1. wonder how those paleo folks are going to say about the energy part. (there're also a lot of people in the world who are living on livestocks and have rare assess to fresh produce on a daily basis for their diet, such as those in the central-north Asia. And I don't believe veg diet is going to work for the Siberians).

2. Why don't we care about plants having animal, ughhh, plant rights? Fungi should have fungus right, too.

3. I've had 100% vegan diet for 1 month. Hardly a challenge. The food was delicious (mushrooms and various tofu products and good fresh veggies (no salad) are irresistible). But I wasn't living in this country then.

4. If I have to choose, I'd pick v over paleo. But I do love meat. And I love animals.

5. why we get to hear the v or the p people bragging about their energy level all the time?

we mostly v's are very energetic and can have super immunities too.

I don't get sick often and even if I do I recover much faster than anyone else.

Has anybody been stuck in a car for 12 h (stuck in a winter storm) with someone who's got swine flu and coughing very badly all the way? and also barely slept in the previous few days? Not that I didn't get infected. And I incidentally passed it to my family when I got home since it was a big holiday and everybody was there. Subsequently, a few of my relatives became so ill that they had to stay in bed for several days and one of them went to ER. But it only got me to have a slight fever for 1 night and some infrequent deep coughing before I recovered.

MrNamtor

2. Why don't we care about plants having animal, ughhh, plant rights? Fungi should have fungus right, too.

You're right. The concept of animals having rights is absurd. I think I'll go out tonight, find a cat and set it on fire. Anyway, that would be much more "humane" (whatever that means) than the way 99% of our "meat animals" live and die.

Don't take my response personally. I'd say this to anyone who said what you just did.

Village people

I am now reading Scott Jurek's book, Eat & Run.  He uses the term "plant-based diet".....which I assume is vegan. Pretty amazing that you can run ultras, best in the world for multiple years.......all while eating vegan.  He often says that his recovery times were cut dramatically when he went to a vegan diet.....among other benefits he sings the praises of.

His testimonials have certainly caught my interest..........

Great chili recipe, I make it all the time. Maybe too often. Nah!

I have been a vegetarian for almost 25 years and a vegan for about 6 months. This isn't common knowledge. I keep it to myself.

I find this perfectly admirable.  Usually when my pescetarian (never heard this before, but hate rolling out: OvoLactoPesco Vegetarian) conduct I get: "Oh, I could never give up XYZ."  So, I tell them, "Well, don't then.  Give up all the other meats and just eat your favorite.  You're still making a positive change."  Nobody has taken me up on it yet.

Glad to hear someone does it.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of wanabee vegetarians.

When I became a vegetarian a bit over 3 years ago, the one thing I thought I would really miss was sushi. I had no real interest in depriving myself, so I told myself that sushi was the one exception to the vegetarian rule. My attitude about becoming a vegetarian in general was that I would just eat vegetarian as long as I was happy about it, but if I ever really wanted a burger, I'd just eat it. And I told myself that if I traveled or lived overseas again, I would eat meat so I could try the local specialties.

As it turned out I never eat meat, including sushi, and even though I have moved to China the local meat specialties have zero appeal. But I think that if I had told myself from the start "I will never ever be allowed to eat any meat from now on for the rest of my life" I probably wouldn't have ever become a vegetarian. It's super easy to decide not to eat meat for a certain meal, but incredibly daunting to think that if you become a vegetarian you will have to make that choice forever without exception. 

Auhugh!!

crunch19

Hi all, I'm Amanda. I'm a cross between pescetarian and vegan.  (except for egg-white, honey and seafodd, I'm vegan)

So in other words, you are NOT vegan?Wink I am a strict vegetarian but would not call myself vegan. No meat, and no animal products except for honey. When I am at someones house, people frequently try and cook something to accommodate me and there is almost always dairy in it but I never turn it down because they did something special just for me.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm all for V or v if it works for you, but I do sometimes wonder if the greatly improved health and energy level should be ascribed not so much to a meat -> plant change as to a less healthy -> more healthy diet change.  Leaving out the ethical considerations, of course.

Great chili recipe, I make it all the time. Maybe too often. Nah!

I have been a vegetarian for almost 25 years and a vegan for about 6 months. This isn't common knowledge. I keep it to myself.

That recipe does sound awesome.....planning on making it tomorrow as it is supposed to be cold and snowing.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

I went vegan a few months ago, and aside from a few screwups (not knowing what is in x, y, and z) I have really noticed that I do feel better.  My acid reflux is gone and my allergies are better.  Also I have found myself succeeding at losing the last few lbs.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Simgenia

I went vegan about 3 years ago and I feel great. In this article about the best vegan diet you can find what benefits it can bring to you. I have more energy than ever, I've lost 18 pounds and my skin has cleared up. My aunt used to have high cholesterol and after she went vegan it lowered to normal level.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

My body doesn't respond well to vegetarianism, though I eat a lot of vegetables.  My dad, however, is a pescetarian/vegan due to a heart condition (he also eats low fat) and he really saw his running take off after he adopted the diet.  He initially lost too much weight but gained it back once he figured out what he could eat.

I think it depends on individual health and all, but obviously everyone should eat many vegetables.  I know tons of great recipes for everything from egg-free pancakes (hint: egg replacer... not that hard) to onion-crusted baked tofu to low-fat vegan chocolate cake (hint: pumpkin puree), because I cook for my dad sometimes, so if anyone wants some good recipes I do know them. Smile

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

YAYpril - B-Plus

I realize this is a resurrected thread...

I've been vegetarian for almost 5 months. I don't miss meat at all. My husband still eats it and it doesn't affect me in any way. Sample conversation:

Husband: Do you want to try a piece of this brisket I just made?

Me: Nope. Do you want to try a bite of my spinach/sweet potato/black bean burrito?

Husband: Nope.

Me: Good. We're on the same page then.

I eat a lot of vegan meals, and I am sure I'd feel healthier if I went full vegan, but I love my homemade baked goods and can't seem to give them up right now.