Options. I need Options! (Shin Splints) (Read 728 times)

Finished!

If you guys read this thread, you know that I have now been plagued by shin splints. Summary: -I'm following the Hal Higdon Novice HM plan -I have been careful to be sure to take time between runs - so I have a minimum of 1 day before and after each run. -I have had shin splint flareups in the past, I started stretching more and doing some exercises to strengthen the appropriate muscles - that seemed to resolve the problems. Unfortunately, the shin splints appear to be back. Stretching isn't helping, self-massage does not seem to be helping. I made it a bit farther on my run today, but had to cut it 2 miles short of the planned 5 miles and I walked a good portion of it. A running friend and my DH are both telling me to put a hold on the running for now and x-train. I'm slightly at a loss as to what I should xtrain with - I generally dislike the gym and stationary equipment - though if that's what I must do, then i guess that's what I have to do. I have access to a stepmill, a dreadmill (though the stepmill is by far a more torturous machine), normal stationary bike, recumbent stationary bike, elliptical machines and stairmaster-like equipment. I have a HM scheduled in less than a month - as in just over 3 weeks away. Do I have a chance? If I cant fix the shinsplints, I may not even be able to run an abbreviated distance. I have considered calling the race director to see if I can have my registration held and pushed for next year - I have no idea if they'd consider that - but I am trying to figure out what all I can do - both to try to resolve the issue and see if I can get a chance to continue on with the race as scheduled, though perhaps with a bit more walking than originally planned.
    Walk + Jog = wog.
    I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
    I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      I am sooo with you on this! I need to XT now too and seeing the runners there makes me want to trip them (Did I just say that out loud? Clowning around Anyway, I find that the elliptical best simulates running and my shins don't hurt then. I read in Runner's World that 60 minutes of elliptical at a pace where your sweating, about 70% HR, equals a 5m run. Hopefully this helps and let me know how your shins do! Oh, and if you find a miracle cure let me know. Right now I'm just taking NSAIDS, massage, ice, xt...all that good stuff. Smile
      Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I would think swimming would be the most effective cardio. I'd recommend cross-country skiing or snowshoeing, too, but I don't think that would be of much use to you...though I have heard you guys have had some of the white stuff in your region.... Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

It's possible it's your shoes. I looked, and even though you've only got 200-ish miles on them, they're over 6 months old. I'm told many shoes start breaking down around 6 months. Might be worth a try... Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

Finished!

Gads. Shoes with a 6mo shelf life? that's awful! *sigh* I guess they're older than I thought! I have a pair waiting in the queue, I guess I can give that a try...
            Walk + Jog = wog.
            Wingz

Professional Noob

LOL - I'm always in favor of the easy fix if it works... Hope it does! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

Finished!

Well, we'll see next week - I'm officially taking some time "off" (spending it hiking and canyoning) instead of running - I have another pair or two of shoes in the closet - one is a new version of my current shoes and the other is a promo pair of a different brand (have no idea how my feet like them or not). I had heard that "tired" shoes can cause aches and pains, but i honestly wouldn't have expected thenm to materialize this quickly - esp since my last run before all this was my longest yet, at 8 miles, and it went fine!
                Walk + Jog = wog.

Prophet!

i have had shin splints before pretty bad and in my case stopping running didn't really help, it just flares up more when i got back to running...if its not the shoes maybe running form may be the issue ? For me it may be a coincidence but they seemed to stop when i started to pay more attention to how i run (after i got in enough shape to actually not look at the ground the whole time i was running). Good luck.

Finished!

*sigh* well, it appears to not be the shoes. I did a short "easy" run late today to see if it was - took advantage of the warm weather, just in case it was the cold temps making my muscles not happy - and while I did get further in the new shoes (same make/model as the ones i currently use), the feet started making the characteristic slapping noise that seems to happen shortly before the all out shinsplints make an appearance. The good news is I can still control my footstrike while walking (there have been times when I have been struck with shinsplints and I could not control my footstrike - the up and down motion of the foot was all sloppy and just not good) - I'm icing the shins now and took some ibuprofen. The plan now is to take some time off over the weekend, give it another go next week on the new shoes just to rule out the shoes properly. I've been trying to pay attention to my form, which is how I was able to arrest the shin splints on the run today - as soon as I noticed I was having difficulty planting my feet correctly, I knew the shins were going to start protesting soon. *sigh* terribly frustrating Sad
                    Walk + Jog = wog.
                    JakeKnight

I'm not one to blame shoes (I'm approaching 700 miles on one pair), but have you tried rotating in a different KIND of shoe? I can't quite figure your log, but it looks like you've got other options lined up. If you're always wearing the same make and model - and it's the wrong shoe for you - that might explain it. Sure your shoes are right for your feet/stride/terrain, etc.?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Finished!

I'm not one to blame shoes (I'm approaching 700 miles on one pair), but have you tried rotating in a different KIND of shoe? I can't quite figure your log, but it looks like you've got other options lined up. If you're always wearing the same make and model - and it's the wrong shoe for you - that might explain it. Sure your shoes are right for your feet/stride/terrain, etc.?
                        Well, I'm one of those poor people with princess fussy feet. I had a heck of a time finding the shoes I have been running in - the first few pairs were just apinful painful. (and yes, these have been fitted at a running store by runners with a gait analysis). I've got 2 pair of Mizunos for running - the Salomons and Keens are for hiking, as are the 5.10s. I have a pair of Ryka shoes I got as a promo, but I haven't given them a try as I have no idea how my feet will like them. What has me so baffled is these shoes have been fine for my training up until now, including my longest run of 8 miles last week - then this week the shin splints. *grumble grumble* I'll see how things go over the weekend and will re-evaluate next week. I'm going to be mightily disappointed if I have to yank myself from the HM, but I do have one more race scheduled before it gets frying-pan-hot down here. (10 miles, in March!) so I can at least focus on that if the HM turns out to be a no go
                        Walk + Jog = wog.

Finished!

*sniff* It doesn't appear to be the shoes. (at least based on last weeks experiment) It appears to be a true overuse issue. I stayed off em (running) through the weekend, and did some hiking. I was supposed to do a short run on a track this morning to see if my shins were any happier with me - When i woke up, I could feel minor twinges in the shins, and if I do shin "lifts" or thumpers with no weight (basically going thru the full range of motion) the muscles definitely don't feel particularly thrilled. If it's still light out by the time I get home, I might try to hit the track - otherwise I'll hit the gym and attempt a no impact xtraining regimen. In the meantime, I've pinged the race director to see what my options are. Cry I was really looking forward to the HM - but now I'm thinking it may have been too much too soon!
                          Walk + Jog = wog.