Ice Bath Anyone? (Read 2048 times)

The Greatest of All Time

I know about a month ago this topic came up and I thought this idea was totally nuts, but this is what racing three 5k's in 7.5 hours makes you do to reduce the inflammation and pain The ingredients: Now it's ready..let's go. Oh, this is going to suck... Yes, this does suck! HTFU Marcus! Man-gina not liking this one bit. 15 very cold minutes later...red legs that won't move. In fact I was crippled. I better feel like $100 tomorrow am or I am going to kill Jake G when I next see him.
    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

<--->Sad</--->

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giant Flaming Dork

LOL!!! Thanks for the additional "race" report.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Haha...nicely done, Marcus. Your legs will be thanking me tomorrow, for sure. I hope so anyway, because, I actually believe you are capable of killing me. On the bright side, it gets easier to do. I do ice baths all the time. Just gotta HTFU and do it. I took one tonight as well. 28 lbs of ice in a tub full of cold water...fantastic. By the way, how hilarious did your wife find the ordeal? I assume she took the photos?

Sack up and run.

The boys can take it after awhile. The Feet! What about the feet? That is the worse. IMHO.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Dude. Those are tiny calves.
                By the way...how did Pfitz's Advanced Marathoning treat you as your reading material?

Sack up and run.

The Greatest of All Time

Yes, the feet sucked. That was by far the worst part of it. And the book is lovely so far. You were correct, reading was a nice distraction. Wife just thought I was stupid, per usual. She asked "who told you to do this? "Jake" "So if Jake told you to jump off a cliff would you do that too?" "If it made my marathon time faster, hell yes!" Wink
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    Yes, the feet sucked. That was by far the worst part of it. And the book is lovely so far. You were correct, reading was a nice distraction. Wife just thought I was stupid, per usual. She asked "who told you to do this? "Jake" "So if Jake told you to jump off a cliff would you do that too?" "If it made my marathon time faster, hell yes!" Wink
                    You know...if you found a 26.2 mile cliff...you'd have a helluva marathon time. I'd give it a go...let us know how it pans out. Smile

Sack up and run.

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Hah! That is funny! Did it work? Nice photography. I bet your wife was laughing. I would have been. Jilly
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Ostrich runner

The ice bath was a twice daily ritual during college. I had it easy though--my room/teammate had titanium pins in his ankle--those'll really wake you up when they get cold.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

DAMN! Heh, Heh, Heh, God I hope I never have to do that.
                            You'll feel good tomorrow. I have been doing them every now and then after long runs and I am pretty sure they have helped. Or at least they make me think they are helping. They get easier. I definitely feel crippled for a good 30 min to an hour afterwards too. I can't handle the feet, so I put socks on my toes/arch and try and keep my toes out of the water a bit. Even if the socks get wet I think they stay a little warmer.

~Sara
                            It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Your pain = our entertainment. Thank you.

Amy

Love the photos and your wife's attitude about it! Big grin

Michelle