Are my superfeet to blame?? advice needed (Read 597 times)

grateful runner

Right after thanksgiving, I did a 10 miler, which at the time was a average long run. I wear hurricane's with superfeet as perscribed by the people I bought the shoes from. I've been wearing them since April with great benefit. I changed into shoes and didn't move the superfeet over. Went to walmart and did some walking, and ended up with a badly inflamed Peroneus Brevis in my right foot. (confirmed by MRI) Two weeks of the boot, and three weeks of getting back into shape, (and I felt great) I did another 10 miler which was easy with little pain anywhere. I spent the rest of the day and the next morning walking around barefoot. I put on my walking shoes to do some outside chores (with superfeet) and they immediately felt uncomfortable. I took one step, and I pulled by Peroneus Brevis again, except this time it was the left foot. - I wear running shoes every day - with the superfeet in them. I'm a teacher and can get away with comfortable shoes. i started doing it training for a half-marathon when I read that wearing the orthos all the time cut back on injury. - A while back, I opened a new box of superfeet to see just how much mine had worn down, they the difference was substantial. - I got my superfeet in April, when I ran a lot less than I do now, so... ?Can you feet change and you need to move to another class of a shoe? ?Do superfeet wear out in 10 months and buying an new pair would fix my problems and bring peace back to my running lifestyle? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    2009 Goals 1500 Miles 21:30 5K 1:40 Half Marathon 3:45 Marathon 200 Mile month
    dibibeau

I have been wearing Superfeet (the green ones) for about 4 years and they have made all the difference in the world for me--injury free Smile Each pair lasts about 18 months. I suspect that Hurricanes may not be the shoe you need. I ran in a pair of Hurricanes for exactly 3 runs and never ran in them again. Of course, I don't know what your biomechanics are, but it seems to me that a lot of people wear motion control and stability shoes and may not really need them especially if you are wearing an insert. Also, your feet can change over time and you may want to make sure you are wearing the right size shoe. Hope you find the right shoe and can get over your injury.
        If you've been doing one thing for a long time (Hurricanes, Superfeet, whatever) and all the sudden, something changes, it's likely because either YOU did something different (increase mileage/etc), or your shoes/Superfeet have worn out. Superfeet (themselves) say that they're good for a year. 10 months is close to that. But, in my experience, it's not the length of time, it's the mileage. If you only wear your Superfeet when running, that's easy to figure out. It you wear them all the time...well, that's tough. You walk around, during the day, a whole lot more than you think. As for my experiences...1000 miles on Superfeet. Some runnign stores try to tell you to replace them every time you replace your shoes, but I think that's too often. The good thing is, Superfeet (in the grand scheme of things) are cheap. Try a new pair out. The other thing (and stores vary, so ASK THEM), Superfeet offers a 60 day guarantee, no questions asked, return policy. But stores have the right to refuse...that's why you need to ask.

Jeff