Help (Read 110 times)

lukero1234

So here's my story,

I've been a regular runner now for a while, competed in 10ks, and run on a regular basis. I decided that this year i'd challenge myself to do a marathon. I've been training now for a few months, and 2 weeks ago, got up to 18 miles. It was a tough run, plenty of uphill points, but i did it. Afterwards i was tired, but, had i needed to, i could've pushed out a couple of extra miles.

So this was on February 28th. I have a recurring Shouder issure, with my rotator cuff, totally unrelated to running, and was in a lot of pain for a few days, so couldnt run for a week. Anyway last Tuesday i set out for a run. As soon as i started, my legs were heavy, aching, and 1.5 miles in, my calf totally tightened, and i had to stop.

Its now Saturday, and i hadnt exercised for 4 days due to my calf. This morning i ran 3 miles. Calf wasn't great, but was ok. However my legs were again, heavy, aching, knees were in pain, and this was from the off. So in the last 12 days, i've run 4.5 miles. And during, and afterwards, my legs feel as if they've completely given up on me.

My marathon is in 3 weeks, and running 3 miles has become a challenge. 2 weeks after being able to run 18 and feel ok afterwards.

What is wrong with me? Why do my legs appear to be completely shot to pieces?

And where do i go from here? I assume rest, but rest is all i've done for 12 days, and it doesnt appear to have helped.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

You should think about skipping this one and find a fall marathon

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'd rethink the marathon in 3 weeks. Yes, you could probably do it and probably walk a ton of it, but don't rush your first marathon. Give yourself the time to train properly.

If you don't feel like you can run, try walking everyday for 45 minutes or an hour or whatever you can fit in. Then in a week, try another easy run. Also check your shoes? Are they old? Do you need to replace them? Shoes can make running miserable.

And if you are logging your miles here, make your log public. You will get a ton more feedback if people can see what you are doing.

Good luck!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

I'm wondering if you're systemically unwell, i.e it isn't ultimately a leg problem.

SMART Approach

Luke, need more training history. It could be an overtraining effect??? Maybe your body reacted to that 18 miler as a race or your body simply hasn't absorbed the training.....need history, training paces, race times etc. we all go through this and very hard to give advice simply from I am training and my legs are dead......

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

GinnyinPA

The dead legs could just be that they stiffened up when you weren't using them.  I have a hard time coming back if I haven't run for a while, which is why I try not to let too much time pass between runs.  It takes me a long time to warm up at the best of times, much less after sitting on my tail for a while.  Starting slow and easy, perhaps with 5-10 minutes walking, then easing into a slow jog might help.  Do your legs hurt when you walk for an hour?

danielle2121

I ran my first marathon about a year ago. I had done my training maybe 80% of what I wanted. I had a little tendinitis and thought it was a stress fracture... it wasn't. I had a 16 mile run and an 19 mile run. I was exhausted the last 6 weeks of training and wanted to eat everything. I went and did the marathon and finished it, it wasn't great. My second marathon was this last fall. I learned a lot from the first one and while I only had three runs between 15-18 miles, I felt a lot better. I think your body is probably in shock a little and that's ok. Yes it needs time to absorb the training, but unless you are looking to BQ I say go for it-- but listen to your body and if you need to walk walk and run the first half slower than you normally would/want to. Also, definitely look at your shoes. When my knees ache, I know its time for a new pair.

We need to know more about your training.  If your base is less than about 40 miles per week, you are definitely not ready to run a marathon.  On the other hand, if you have several consecutive months with more than 200 miles per month, then maybe you have a virus or something.

I once tried a 21 mile long on a base of 30 miles per week.  It was a disaster.  So I ran half marathons for another two years until I was able to get my base mileage up to over 45 miles per week.  Then a 20 mile long run was more tedious than tiring.  And my first full marathon went very well, with a one minute negative split.

BeeRunB

Pretty much when you appear to be falling to pieces with minor or major injuries, dead legs, motivation issues, tiredness, etc., you've overtrained to an extent. That doesn't mean you've entered one of the dreaded three overtraining syndromes, but have at least overreached and exceeded the training load that your body could handle. In other words, you're not a healthy runner right now. The number one remedy is rest, and number two (if you insist on training) is lowering your training load (reduce total duration and keep to easy aerobic work). As for the marathon, maybe you can run it if you want. It might work out, or you might set yourself back even longer. You can always drop out during the race if it doesn't feel right, without shame. There'll be other races. Good luck. Hope you heal up.