Training plans and watches... (Read 113 times)

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

With the higher level Garmin watches, you can set a workout in the Training Center and Push it to the watch. Is that format known to RA and wouldn't it be nice to push the training plans from RA to the watch? Or allow RA to upload the training plans from Training Center.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Julia1971

Not exactly what you're describing but my Garmin 610 allows me to save workouts in the watch. So, I have a saved workout in my Garmin for almost every course I have in my log. I even have most of them segmented so I can set specific target paces for different sections of the course - usually based on terrain or places where I have to stop but also for workouts where I want to hit certain paces for certain amounts of time.

PaulyGram

Fast is better than long

Julia,

I think you are describing Garmin software to watch...

Garmin Connect <--> Watch : This works as it is core to garmin Garmin, and platform specific

Garmin Training Center  <--> Watch : This works as it is core to garmin Garmin, and platform specific

What I was looking for is Either...

RA (Training Plan) --> Watch

or

RA (Training Plan) --> Either Garmin software

Either Garmin software --> RA (Training Plan) <MTA> --> Watch </MTA>

The reason being that in RA I can only describe the intervals I am doing, but in Garmin software, you can specify the

[Warm-up]

[Loop of X]

[Inner Loop of X]

Interval (by time: distance or button event)

Rest (by time: distance or button event)

It would be nice if I could set this up on RA, then push it to the watch almost like the email me my daily workout.

This is no small task, IMO.

1. Is the Garmin format/protocol public or published
        2. Can you decode it if it is not?
        3. Is it legal to decode it?
        4. Does either of the garmin software platforms allow anything but a watch to catch the workout?
        5. Does the watch allow for it from anything but a Garmin app?
        6. Can the RA database accomodate the data or can it be refactored to do so?
        7. Will eric Wink have time/priority to accomodate should the other factors be doable.

Not exactly what you're describing but my Garmin 610 allows me to save workouts in the watch. So, I have a saved workout in my Garmin for almost every course I have in my log. I even have most of them segmented so I can set specific target paces for different sections of the course - usually based on terrain or places where I have to stop but also for workouts where I want to hit certain paces for certain amounts of time.

2017 Goals: Give up goals; they're stoopid

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
        Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

Julia1971

I think I see where you're going with this... I was actually just describing manually entering tour workouts directly into the watch without using Garmin software. I don't know that other models allow this but the 610 does. For example, I also have several saved interval workouts in my Garmin so they're always in there and I just need to change the reps (e.g., "Intervals - 800" has a 2 mile segment for warm up, 0.5 mi segment, recovery segment, repeat segment that goes back to step 2, and a 2 mile segment for cool down). If other models don't allow this then, yeah, I could see something that makes this easier for people being very useful.