2019 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 386 times)

Here it is, the thread you've all been waiting for! Julia1971 usually starts this annually, but she's not doing it this year, so I feel someone has to.

She always includes a lot of links and useful information in the first post, but I'm too lazy for that. Maybe I will add stuff as we go, if people want to see it. But folks around here are generally pretty good at internetting, so I figure you can find what you need. This is mainly to chat about the race, complain about the cutoff times, and provide some helpful tips for first-timers.

I may still keep a list on this post of RAers running, along with what number Boston this will be for you. And if it's your first - curious to know how many marathons it took you to get here.

As for me - this would be my first. I ran a 3:23:39 last October vs. my qualifying standard of 3:30. So hopefully that's enough. It was my 9th marathon; I qualified on #7 & 8, but not by enough to get in. Unfortunately since my qualifying race, I have been plagued by a variety of physical ailments. So I'm still unsure even by April whether I'll be in any kind of shape to run this thing. But just try to keep me away.

MTA: Booked my hotel a few months ago on MarathonTours.com. I'd recommend anyone who hasn't done anything yet to check this out. Opted for high price/good location, because I expect this to be a one-time thing for me, so what the hell. Coming from the west coast it's virtually impossible to make this trip without spending 3 nights, so that's gonna add up.

Runner  -  # Boston -  # marathons to qualify

DavePNW - 1st - 9

Joann Y - 1st - 5

Baboon - 1st - 9

scrumhalfgirl - 3rd - 6

finbad

NorthNorthwest - 1st - 12

Stephen1141 - 2nd - 2

TheRunningDan - 1st

JMac11 - 1st

darkwave

Julia1971

On_WI - 2nd - 5

slingrunner - 1st - 6

jerseyrunner - 4th

Up_Hill_Down - 1st

wolvmar - 1st - 3

mattw4jc - 2nd

matthewfschwartz - 1st - 1

Dave

Joann Y

Thanks for starting the thread, Dave! This will be my first Boston Marathon as well having run a 3:37:22 last October at Chicago in my 5th marathon (qualifying was 3:55 for 45-49 age group). This was my second time qualifying but my 3:41:49 missed the cutoff for getting in by 12 seconds for the 2018 race. Luckily I got a little older and a little faster for the 2019 race! I am super excited.

I'm tossing around numbers in my head trying to figure out what my goal will be knowing full well that it is way way too early to decide. Right now in my head it's looking like A goal: Sub 3:30?! B goal: PR?! C goal: qualify for Boston again. I am skipping racing any fall marathons this year as I had some knee and calf issues over the summer and wanted to make sure that I am healthy for April. Laying down a base and so far so good.

Hope you are getting better, Dave. Come hell or high water you better have that beer with me in Boston!

delicate flower

Another first timer here.  It took me eight marathons to qualify, which I did for last year's race, but I was another victim of that huge cutoff (missed by 62 seconds).  It took one more marathon (my ninth) to drop a -11:14, so I like my chances now.   I ran my third BQ marathon in a row this past June.  Not bad after going 0 for 7.  So to answer the question, 8 marathons to qualify, 9 to make the cutoff.

My PR is 3:13:46, which I think I could beat now, but we'll how things go as I get into my training cycle.  Boston weather seems to have a way of getting in the way of goals as well.  I have not run Boston yet, but I'll run it as many times as they let me.  I plan on training hard for it and giving it an honest marathon race effort.  Folks here that know me know my training is a lot different than most people, being a triathlete.  I am a 25-35 mpw runner, with a lot of cycling and swimming as well.

I live in northern Connecticut, so Boston will be a day trip for me.  Our running club runs a bus to and from, so I'll hop on that.  I'll miss the whole "Boston weekend experience", but it'll be nice to sleep in my own bed and not have to spend a thousand dollars on travel and lodging.

<3

not have to spend a thousand dollars on travel and lodging.

lol that's just my lodging. 

Although I should be able to get there on frequent flyer miles.

Dave

GinnyinPA

Just a heads up: if you don't know about it, there's a very active Boston Marathon Training group on Facebook. It's not the RW site, which also exists but isn't very active. I found it really helpful when I was preparing last year and it is fun to "meet" people from all over the world who are also running Boston.

scrumhalfgirl

I'll be registering today for Boston #3! It took me six marathons (and 9 years!) to qualify the first time, and my experience totally lived up to my high expectations!

Just a heads up: if you don't know about it, there's a very active Boston Marathon Training group on Facebook. It's not the RW site, which also exists but isn't very active. I found it really helpful when I was preparing last year and it is fun to "meet" people from all over the world who are also running Boston.

Do you have a link? I really liked the old RW Boston forum as it really helped me prep for my first time!

-Jess

delicate flower

Thanks for the heads up!  The RW group is useless...nothing but spam, just like their forums became.

<3

finbad

Hi all, I just received an entry confirmation email so I'll be running in Boston next year.

My first time, never entered or thought about it before because I'm based in Scotland but I've a spring time trip due to see family in New York so this is super convenient. I've run 7 marathons.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

NorthNorthwest

I'm sitting on a -5:24 (3:04:36 for M35-39), so feeling relatively good about my chances...I'd guess at least 80% chance. This would be my first Boston, meeting the standard on my 12th marathon. Only had to get to 70-90 mpw for my body to final be in the right shape! That's what I get for growing up a bookish band kid and not taking up running until my mid-20s.

My wife has a -3:23, so I'm much more worried about her chances. Even more worried she'll be just on the wrong side of the cut-off, always frustrating. More qualifiers this year, but no telling whether demand will be higher or lower compared to last year.

Best of luck to everyone while we wait out this silly process!

Joann Y

I'm registered!!!  

delicate flower

I'm registered!!!  

+1.  Now the waiting game.

<3

Stephen1141

I'm probably going to sign up, although I change my mind hourly. Last year was my first and was a pretty rough experience in that weather. I have a 2:57:3X vs the standard of 3:05, feeling pretty good about getting in. I have 2 marathons planned for the rest of this year, CIM is the goal and using Indy in my buildup as a big workout. Those will be numbers 7 and 8, 1 of my 8 was pacing my wife in her first.

2nd Boston

Originally qualified on my 2nd.

delicate flower

Hmmm....DW says the credit card got hit.  I don't recall it getting hit last year before my rejection.  Any Boston veterans want to chime in on this?

<3

I just registered today with the 10min+ group.  This will hopefully be my first!  How many days does it usually take to get the acceptance email after registration during week 1?   Last 2 years I was a squeaker (week 2 registration) and then didn't get in, but this year I have a 13 mins+ cushion, so feel pretty good about it... just hate the waiting now!  Good luck to everyone!

Hmmm....DW says the credit card got hit.  I don't recall it getting hit last year before my rejection.  Any Boston veterans want to chime in on this?

The charge on my card showed last year when I got rejected.  It showed up and then went away a few days later.  I think they do that to verify a valid card.