2019 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 386 times)

and I thought my 5:00am with the occasional 4:30am wake-up was early! Nice job!

I actually ended up sleeping in till 4:10, but still got my 14 in. I'm between 4:00 and 5:00, depending on how many miles I need to do.

Dave

I see they provide Gatorade Endurance on course.  This is awesome news to me.  I will not have to carry a bottle of nutrition.  Gatorade Thirst Quencher wrecks my stomach, but Endurance works just fine.

So what is the difference between Gatorades? The only time I ever do any kind of sports drink is when running marathons, maybe every other aid station. I am generally just a water guy.

MTA: got my tickets to pre-race dinner & post-race party. Does anyone know - once you've selected a time slot for the dinner, whether they hold you to it?

Dave

delicate flower

So what is the difference between Gatorades? The only time I ever do any kind of sports drink is when running marathons, maybe every other aid station. I am generally just a water guy.

Endurance has more electrolytes (sodium/potassium), and more carbs and calories.  The thing for me is that they are made with different sugars, and the regular Gatorade does not digest well for me.

<3

Endurance has more electrolytes (sodium/potassium), and more carbs and calories.  The thing for me is that they are made with different sugars, and the regular Gatorade does not digest well for me.

I've been OK on the regular stuff, so hopefully the Endurance doesn't cause any problems. I've not yet run into any that physically disagree with me, although I'll note that Nuun is the most vile substance on the planet.

Dave

delicate flower

I've been OK on the regular stuff, so hopefully the Endurance doesn't cause any problems. I've not yet run into any that physically disagree with me, although I'll note that Nuun is the most vile substance on the planet.

Have you tried Ucan?  

<3

I can handle regular Gatorade but not Endurance.  I'd highly recommend training with both the formula and the flavor.  Highly worth spending $20 on Amazon or the Feed to avoid GI distress at mile 18.

Not only is Nuun gross but it lacks calories which baffles me in an endurance race.

I've not yet run into any that physically disagree with me, although I'll note that Nuun is the most vile substance on the planet.

But you're not taking Nuun *while* running, right?

I find it really useful for "electrolyte loading" which may not actually be a thing but I heard about it from Pauly and tried it for Vermont City in 2014 five weeks after melting down at Boston in the heat. VCM wound up being significantly warmer than Boston, people were dropping like flies (FSBD took the ambulance ride he doesn't remember) and I ran really well and had no issues so I was sold. Even if it's placebo, it works for me. I use Nuun before/after hot weather races or long runs but never during, yuck.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I can handle regular Gatorade but not Endurance.  I'd highly recommend training with both the formula and the flavor.  Highly worth spending $20 on Amazon or the Feed to avoid GI distress at mile 18.

Not only is Nuun gross but it lacks calories which baffles me in an endurance race.

What the heck is it for, then?

Special drinks on course are such a crap shoot that I've pretty much decided to only take water, and get whatever else I need from the GU/Honey Stinger packets that I bring.  I have appreciated orange slices and popsicles when they're handed out.

The only time I've had Nuun was after a race; once was enough to avoid it when offered from there on out.

Special drinks on course are such a crap shoot that I've pretty much decided to only take water, and get whatever else I need from the GU/Honey Stinger packets that I bring.  I have appreciated orange slices and popsicles when they're handed out.

Yeah, for liquids I mainly just do water anyway, then maybe sports drink at a 3-4 of the aid stations depending how I feel. So maybe I should play it safe and pass. I usually get more on me than in me anyway, so unless calories are absorbed through the skin, I probably won't miss out on much. Although if we get a hot one, I may take the risk.

Dave

Stephen1141

I'm getting tired.

Amen. Race is 7-1/2 weeks away but more importantly, taper is just over 5-1/2.

So, funnily enough this was posted today in a FB running group I’m in.

Dave

onemile

MTA: got my tickets to pre-race dinner & post-race party. Does anyone know - once you've selected a time slot for the dinner, whether they hold you to it?

you can go anytime. I think my tickets said 7pm and I went at like 4:30

delicate flower

I live in northern CT and Boston will be a day trip.  I am bummed that I won't be around for the post-race party at Fenway.  It'd be cool to walk on the warning track and see the stadium from the field.  I did get my pre and post race tickets even though I have no intention of going, just in case something happens.

<3

Julia1971

I live in northern CT and Boston will be a day trip.  I am bummed that I won't be around for the post-race party at Fenway.  It'd be cool to walk on the warning track and see the stadium from the field.  I did get my pre and post race tickets even though I have no intention of going, just in case something happens.

FWIW, I think the atmosphere is best before rather than after the race.  In fact, I know people to fly home immediately after the race.  But, I'd try to spend some time in town on Sunday if you can swing it.

FWIW, I think the atmosphere is best before rather than after the race.  In fact, I know people to fly home immediately after the race.  But, I'd try to spend some time in town on Sunday if you can swing it.

I get there Saturday night and leave Tuesday afternoon. Partially because I have such a long flight, and it's hard to arrange the stay to be any shorter. But also because I want to do all the things. Not so much Boston sightseeing, since I've done a lot of that, but just be part of the storied race weekend atmosphere. Because odds are this is a one and done for me.

Dave