2019 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 386 times)

Julia1971

I get there Saturday night and leave Tuesday afternoon. Partially because I have such a long flight, and it's hard to arrange the stay to be any shorter. But also because I want to do all the things. Not so much Boston sightseeing, since I've done a lot of that, but just be part of the storied race weekend atmosphere. Because odds are this is a one and done for me.

That's similar to what I do.  I usually arrive late-afternoon on Saturday so I have the option of hitting the expo before it closes OR going early the next day.  And, then I usually leave early on Tuesday because I'm so used to waking up so early.  But, if I were pressed for time or didn't want to pay for another hotel night, I'd arrive early Sunday to hit the expo and enjoy all the runners walking around in their jackets and then leave soon after the race and revel with friends back home.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Anyone that's run Boston before, what's the elevation gain on Strava? Just trying to get an idea of what the course is like from that perspective, as I know it's net downhill but egain might put the rolling hills in perspective.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Julia1971

Anyone that's run Boston before, what's the elevation gain on Strava? Just trying to get an idea of what the course is like from that perspective, as I know it's net downhill but egain might put the rolling hills in perspective.

Weird.  I checked Strava and there was a lot of variation.  So, I checked my log here.  Here are the numbers:

2012: +3232.3 ft / -3523.6 ft / net: -291.3 ft

2014: +4765.7 ft / -5437.7 ft / net: -671.9 ft

2015: +3683.7 ft / -3948.2 ft / net: -264.4 ft

2016: +7946.2 ft / -8036.1 ft / net: -89.9 ft

2017: +3948.2 ft / -4329.4 ft / net: -381.2 ft

2018: +4925.9 ft / -5420.6 ft / net: -494.8 ft

What the heck did I do in 2016 to climb so many more feet?

Edited to add my Strava data:

2016: 604 ft

2017: 543 ft

2018: 819 ft

mikeymike

I get egain according to Strava of 580 feet.

RA calculates elevation gain way differently and than Strava. It says Elevation: +3313 ft / -3786.1 ft / net: -473.1 ft for the same run.

Runners run

finbad

Hello all, I'm coming over from Scotland for the marathon and just wondered if the post-race thing at Fenway would be worth going to for someone who doesn't care about baseball?

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

That's similar to what I do.  I usually arrive late-afternoon on Saturday so I have the option of hitting the expo before it closes OR going early the next day.  And, then I usually leave early on Tuesday because I'm so used to waking up so early.  But, if I were pressed for time or didn't want to pay for another hotel night, I'd arrive early Sunday to hit the expo and enjoy all the runners walking around in their jackets and then leave soon after the race and revel with friends back home.

I'm planning on coming in Friday night or Saturday morning and flying home Monday afternoon. But, haven't booked flight yet as I'm not sure if my family is coming with me.  I've got hotel rooms for either itinerary (cancellable a week or so ahead) Need to lock that down soon...

FSBD

VCM wound up being significantly warmer than Boston, people were dropping like flies (FSBD took the ambulance ride he doesn't remember) and I ran really well and had no issues so I was sold. Even if it's placebo, it works for me. I use Nuun before/after hot weather races or long runs but never during, yuck.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

Nasreddin Hoja

Hello all, I'm coming over from Scotland for the marathon and just wondered if the post-race thing at Fenway would be worth going to for someone who doesn't care about baseball?

I think so.  Fenway is an old time baseball park. But you can run through it too.  I particularly liked the group run out of their "Runbase" the day or 2 before. The Runbase is close to the finish line.  They have them every couple of hours  A little steeple chase right though the Fenway entrance apparatus and then a bucket list worthy run down the Charles.  Or at least bucket list for those that grew up in the area.  I think the Pasta Party is great for people coming with their family.  Gets them involved in the race vibe.  Solo I would skip it though it is good food.

delicate flower

Does anyone have any tune up/predictor races coming up?  Seems like it's getting to be that time.   I've got a flat HM this coming Sunday.  I am anxious to see how much damage I can do to my PR.

<3

I've got a flat HM this coming Sunday Saturday.  I am anxious to see how much damage I can do to my PR.

+1.

Dave

Well I haven't done it, but I imagine it's just a big post-race party that happens to be at a ballpark, and otherwise not much to do with baseball. But Fenway is a national landmark, the Red Sox have played there since 1912, so I would look at this as an opportunity to visit a unique place.

Dave

galaNash

Hi All!

My husband is the one who runs Boston marathon - I am perfectly happy with my BAA 5K. It will be his 3rd Boston, and we are super excited about it! With that being said, we are in a bit of a pickle... We booked our rooms through Marathon Tours early on; one for us, one for his parents, who wanted to come over from Europe (a part of longer stay). Now, we just learned they will not be able to come, which leave us with an empty hotel room. Marathon Tours has a strict cancellation policy and we'd have to pay a fortune to cancel the room now... I thought I will try to see if they would accept to transfer the reservation.

Would anyone be interested in the transfer? It's at Boston Marriott Copley Place, Apr 13-Apr16; the total reservation $987 before tax; $329/night. Please PM me if interested, and I will reach out to Marathon Tours to check for the transfer!

And good luck to everyone running, I will be there cheering on you!

finbad

Thanks for the replies about Fenway Park. Think I will go along and check it out

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

slingrunner

This post is for somebody that is very familiar with the race/area and wants to help!

This if my first Boston marathon, and I'm used to running smaller/local races.  I've traditionally always been able to arrange for support along the course.  I'm talking about technical support.... specific hydration, food, etc.

I have two people driving up with me in one car that will do whatever I want to help me.  They'll stay together, split up, etc.  The goal is to get to me different places along the route.  From the research I've done, it looks like car is a better system than train.

I know they won't be able to see me at the finish, but I'd like to see them maybe 3-4 times spread out along the course.  The less crowded the better, so that they can get me supplies.  They don't need to be at the start, and in fact making the first stop 4 or 5 miles in would be perfect so I can bring a hand held to the start to and hand it off.  Any suggestions as to where?  If all goes well, I'll be averaging about a 6:45 pace.  They are not athletes, but they can certainly walk at an aggressive pace to any meeting spot.

Also, in many of my marathons I've crashed really hard at the end.  I've never had to walk very far to get to support, but I'm sometimes so exhausted I literally can't get off the ground.  I've never needed medical, but without access to my crew I could see it an issue since I usually have really bad cramps and I assume it's a long walk to the family meeting area.  I assume medical would be on top of things if I'm cramping badly?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

This will be my first Boston marathon.  I'm looking for advice form Boston veterans about family attending and logistics after the race.

If family attends with me, how easy/difficult is it for them to actually see me somewhere along the race course? Is the train, bus, uber/lyft or other transportation a good/better way for them to get around while the race is in progress? Any suggestions on where they should try and go along the course and still be able to get back to the finish area by the time I finish or close to it (see below).

I'm a 3:30 pace but counting on up to 4:00 (hopefully not more) for this race. Assuming I start around 11:00 (or shortly after?), I should be done between 2:30-3:30pm. Is the finish likely to be so crowded that it's difficult to meet there (and would they be able to make it back in time, especially if I finish on the early end of the range)?

We are staying at the Liberty so I'm thinking it's best to just meet them at the hotel instead of near the finish.  We will probably keep our hotel room an extra night so I can shower after the race and we can leave for the airport from there. With Logan being a short trip, I'm thinking we need to leave the hotel by 5:00pm which should leave time for the shower.

Thanks for any thoughts.