2019 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 386 times)

mikeymike

Wolvmar, it's pretty easy for them to see you *somewhere* along the course. It's just a matter of how many places and how hard they want to work. The MBTA commuter rail goes to Framingham, Natick Center and Wellesley Hills, you'll run right by the station. And/or they could take the green line to Woodland and see you near Newton Wellesley hospital, or to Cleveland Circle. From any of those they should be able to make it back to the finish area in time.

Runners run

Only thing I'd add is to make sure they view from the same side of the road as the MBTA stop.  In 2016, my wife watched me go by in Brookline from our hotel and then planned to jump on the T to meet me at the finish.   It was incredibly hard for her to simply cross the street though and I ended up beating her by 20 minutes and sitting on the hood of a warm van trying desperately to stay warm while I waited.  It might not be so bad if they are earlier on the course...Brookline is around mile 23 so pretty dense with runners at that point.

Wolvmar, it's pretty easy for them to see you *somewhere* along the course. It's just a matter of how many places and how hard they want to work. The MBTA commuter rail goes to Framingham, Natick Center and Wellesley Hills, you'll run right by the station. And/or they could take the green line to Woodland and see you near Newton Wellesley hospital, or to Cleveland Circle. From any of those they should be able to make it back to the finish area in time.

mikeymike

That's a good point. From most of Brookline you'd probably be better of grabbing a blue bike and taking side streets back to Copley. Another trick is to pick the lobby of one of the hotels near the finish area as a meeting spot if you're going to have to wait. My club always rents a few rooms at the Park Plaza for us to shower and change after the race and so I know from experience if you walk into the lobby of one of the hotels with a mylar blanket and a medal around your neck the people in the lobby will stand and cheer when you walk in and they definitely won't kick you out if you want to just hang out and wait. And multiple people will probably try to buy you a beer.

Runners run

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I know from experience if you walk into the lobby of one of the hotels with a mylar blanket and a medal around your neck the people in the lobby will stand and cheer when you walk in and they definitely won't kick you out if you want to just hang out and wait. And multiple people will probably try to buy you a beer.

Don't count on that.  After Boston 2018, my friends and I met up at the 4 Seasons (where one of us was staying) for drinks.  We had to provide my friend's name and room number, which was checked against a list, before they would let us into the hotel lobby.  I understood that other hotels near the finish were doing similar.  I'm not sure if that was because of the Boston 2018 weather or not.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mikeymike

Well that just sucks. People should be less shitty. Was that right after the race and while people were still finishing, or later?

Then again I've never had a good experience at the 4 Seasons lobby and/or bar.

Runners run

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well that just sucks. People should be less shitty. Was that right after the race and while people were still finishing, or later?

That was right after/during the race.  We were all Wave 1, so we finished, defrosted, and met there.  I'm pretty certain that Waves 3-4 would have still been going.

To be fair, this might have been less about avoiding everyone taking shelter, and more a general physical security action.  The Four Seasons Lobby was also packed, so it might have been that they were reaching their legal capacity and simply couldn't let more people in unless they had a connection to the hotel.  At some point, a packed lobby is a fire hazard.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

FWIW, I got the standing ovation walking into the Copley Square hotel last year.  I turned around to see if an elite was walking in behind me before thinking "holy shit that's for me".  So there are some non-shitty people/hotels still out there.

That was right after/during the race.  We were all Wave 1, so we finished, defrosted, and met there.  I'm pretty certain that Waves 3-4 would have still been going.

To be fair, this might have been less about avoiding everyone taking shelter, and more a general physical security action.  The Four Seasons Lobby was also packed, so it might have been that they were reaching their legal capacity and simply couldn't let more people in unless they had a connection to the hotel.  At some point, a packed lobby is a fire hazard.

My club always rents a few rooms at the Park Plaza for us to shower and change after the race and so I know from experience if you walk into the lobby of one of the hotels with a mylar blanket and a medal around your neck the people in the lobby will stand and cheer when you walk in 

As a first-timer, I think that is the coolest thing ever, and really hope that happens. I happen to be staying at the Park Plaza.

Dave

Julia1971

FWIW, the same thing happened to me - my name had to be on the guest list - in 2017 at the Fairmont (which at the time I thought was because some of the official events happen there) but also in 2018 at the Loews.

mikeymike

This is very disappointing ... I thought I'd discovered a key to the universe. Alas.

All I know is after Boston 2020 I'm walking to the Park Plaza for some lobby cheers.

Runners run

npaden

I got the lobby cheers at the Park Plaza last year in the rain.  I don't recall anyone asking my name or if I was staying there.  I was staying there though.  It was a pretty neat experience.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Sounds like I picked the right place!

Dave

Joann Y

Sounds like I picked the right place!

We're staying there too!

We're staying there too!

Making it an even more attractive spot!

Dave

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Thanks for all the input. Great advice and much appreciated. Of course, happy to hear any other ideas!