2019 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 386 times)

slingrunner

Looking for not crowded but easily accessible spots by car to meet up... ideally around mile 5,11,17 ish (i.e. 3 spread out).  Any suggestions?

Also, I know you can get dropped off by car at the start, but I'm not sure where the best spot is, and what time one would need to be there (wave 1).  Thoughts?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

Looking for not crowded but easily accessible spots by car to meet up... ideally around mile 5,11,17 ish (i.e. 3 spread out).  Any suggestions?

Also, I know you can get dropped off by car at the start, but I'm not sure where the best spot is, and what time one would need to be there (wave 1).  Thoughts?

The 10k mark is near Framingham center, 10.5 ish is basically Natick Center and 17 is at the beginning of the Newton hills. Those are all popular places to watch from. There will be road closures right near the course but you can get close and walk. Not sure about the logistics of getting to 3 separate places in time to see the same runner with traffic.

You can't get dropped off at the start but you can get dropped off at a parking lot off of 495 and take a shuttle bus to the high school (athletes village).

There are also shuttle buses from Hopkinton state park to the start area (not the athletes village) that are supposed to be for spectators. If you take that you'll get dropped off near Hopkinton center so if you want to experience the athletes village its a mile walk there and a mile walk back to the start.

Honestly if I was coming from out of town I'd just take the yellow school buses from Boston Common like they recommend. I don't come from out of town and I've still taken those buses a couple of times when the logistics just worked better than my club's bus.

Runners run

Hip Redux

Wolvmar, it's pretty easy for them to see you *somewhere* along the course. It's just a matter of how many places and how hard they want to work. The MBTA commuter rail goes to Framingham, Natick Center and Wellesley Hills, you'll run right by the station. And/or they could take the green line to Woodland and see you near Newton Wellesley hospital, or to Cleveland Circle. From any of those they should be able to make it back to the finish area in time.

The commuter line was frustrating- we took it two years ago and were a good 45 minutes later than we were planning to Newton (we went Framingham to Auburndale).  Trains were significantly delayed and each stop took forever to get more folks crammed on.   The green line is better (though still crowded) but you have to make sure you are on the right side of the road, as someone else mentioned. 

The other thing to consider is the lines for security to get to the family meeting spot (or anywhere near Boylston/finish line) - bag search takes a while.

Also the weather makes a big difference - pouring rain of last year meant the crowds were smaller and getting around was easier.  Two years ago with a clear sunny day and it was significantly more difficult.  Long lines everywhere.

Up_Hill_Down

I plan on getting dropped off at the start in Hopkinton although I do not know exactly how close I will get.  Road closures will likely be a problem so following official advice will be the best bet.  I have even been offered a parking spot in Hopkinton as my sister-in-law works for the town of Hopkinton but again I do not know with road closures how easy it will be to get there.

My wife is from the area and knows the route well (she will tell anyone about how easy it used to be to stand at the starting line and mingle with runners many years ago). .  She has been thinking about the best spots to root me on but I think she knows that she has to be flexible because she will not know how the traffic is going to be.

delicate flower

Bib 9876 checking in!   

<3

13799 here!

Dave

FSBD

It must be a faster crowd this year.  My qualifying time is 7 seconds slower this year than last year and my bib number is 768 higher than last year.  That seems like a lot for such a small difference in qualifying time.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

It must be a faster crowd this year.  My qualifying time is 7 seconds slower this year than last year and my bib number is 768 higher than last year.  That seems like a lot for such a small difference in qualifying time.

Well the cutoff increase from 3:23 to 4:52 was probably the first sign of that.

Dave

Not sure if this directly correlates to anything, without knowing actual number of people in each wave/corral, but I guess it's something.

For 2019:

Wave 1 cutoff = 3:07:27 (2:09 faster than 2018)
                    Wave 2 cutoff = 3:27:17 (1:31 faster than 2018)
                    Wave 3 cutoff = 3:56:54 (0:45 faster than 2018)

Dave

NorthNorthwest

Bib 6900. My immature 12 year old self is laughing uncontrollably and giving high fives as he chugs Mountain Dew and watches Bevis & Butthead. My immature 35 year old self at least is laying off the Mountain Dew.

Bib 6900. My immature 12 year old self is laughing uncontrollably and giving high fives as he chugs Mountain Dew and watches Bevis & Butthead. My immature 35 year old self at least is laying off the Mountain Dew.

Nice

Runners run

Julia1971

Wave 3, Corral 1.  Maybe I'll make my way to the front of the corral to briefly feel what it's like to see the open road ahead.

My training is going freakishly well.  (I ran the Rock n Roll DC Half Marathon last weekend and crushed my goal time.)  I'm actually starting to think maybe I could PR this spring.  Boston might be too soon, though.

delicate flower

So stupid question from this Boston noob:  As far as the wave start goes, is there a pause between corrals, or do they sound the gun and the entire wave is sent off?  Generally speaking, in the wave/corral races I've done, there is usually a pause between each wave and corral.  Also, do the waves start promptly at their assigned times (e.g. 10:25 wave 2), or is that more of an estimate to get through the previous wave and corrals?

<3

Julia1971

So stupid question from this Boston noob:  As far as the wave start goes, is there a pause between corrals, or do they sound the gun and the entire wave is sent off?  Generally speaking, in the wave/corral races I've done, there is usually a pause between each wave and corral.  Also, do the waves start promptly at their assigned times (e.g. 10:25 wave 2), or is that more of an estimate to get through the previous wave and corrals?

Every year, I seem to get to the start will only a minute or two to spare.  But, if I remember well, the pause between corrals is almost unnoticeable.  But, there is a longer pause between waves and they start on time.

delicate flower

Every year, I seem to get to the start will only a minute or two to spare.  But, if I remember well, the pause between corrals is almost unnoticeable.  But, there is a longer pause between waves and they start on time.

OK, thanks.  I was curious if it was a non-stop rolling start or if they actually did pause between each corral. Also, I have a friend in wave 1/corral 6 and I want to catch him.  Big grin

<3