2019 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 386 times)

Julia1971

Me three. Someone at BAA is checking off their to do list before the weekend.

In!  Been waiting (and working) sooo long for this!  First timer here!   They must have just done the -10min. batch.

delicate flower

I've got a HM tomorrow.  Good timing for a way too early to take seriously Boston predictor.  

<3

I received my confirmation email today.

To answer the questions in the original post: This will be my second time. The first was two years ago; and after falling apart in the final miles I knew I wanted to give it at least one more try. My first four marathons were not under my qualifying standard but my last four were.

Someone at BAA is checking off their to do list before the weekend making room for all the BQ-5ers. 

I'm assuming this. 

Congrats people!!

Dave

slingrunner

I've officially applied now, and with a 7.5 minute cushion, I'm assuming I'm in.  Would be my first Boston Marathon, and I got in on the 6th time.  I've been training hard to break 3 hrs at Steamtown in 3 weeks, and then possibly retire from marathons at Boston next year. My 7 years of running was actually just an elaborate scheme to kiss a Wellesley girl.  Big Rube Goldberg fan here.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

bhearn

and then possibly retire from marathons at Boston next year. My 7 years of running was actually just an elaborate scheme to kiss a Wellesley girl.  Big Rube Goldberg fan here.

👏

delicate flower

Registered this morning for the BQ-5 group!

Registration opens again Monday which means you are IN!  WOO HOO!

<3

Registration opens again Monday which means you are IN!  WOO HOO!

That is a load off, but the celebration will wait till I get my email.

Dave

NorthNorthwest

Same. Nice to know it's a done deal (not a given with me -5:24), but I want to actually see it. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to return to the important work of manically refreshing my email.

That is a load off, but the celebration will wait till I get my email.

delicate flower

I don't know if you guys follow the Boston Marathon facebook page but today they said week 1 registrations and acceptances were up from last year.  Yikes....I'm thinking like a 4:30 cutoff this year.

<3

Joann Y

I don't know if you guys follow the Boston Marathon facebook page but today they said week 1 registrations and acceptances were up from last year.  Yikes....I'm thinking like a 4:30 cutoff this year.

I saw that on instagram. yowsers. I didn't remember them using that language last year. should be interesting!

bhearn

I’ve already decided not to register this year, for the first time in 15 years... I think... but it’s hard not to feel the tension. Sitting on BQ-7:19.

Once more I spit on the BAA’s registration circus. JUST TIGHTEN THE DAMN TIMES. Well this year I’m finally putting my money where my mouth is (or more accurately, not putting it) and saying screw you.

I was not, but you made me look. It actually feels like the whole page is geared towards me - I learned some stuff I didn't really know.

There is a video answering top registration questions, and it's all about "please be patient while we verify all the times; don't call us, we'll call you." They said "could take a couple days or a couple weeks". Presumably the former if your race auto-populated and they can auto-verify; maybe the latter for me as my race did not auto-populate, so they will need to manually verify. A couple weeks?? Gack.

The post stating that week 2 registration will open Monday is filled with comments by people posting "Woo hoo, I'm in!!!"  Each time, the page admin patiently responds "We cannot say at this time that all Week 1 entrants are automatically accepted into the Boston Marathon next April, just because we are opening for week 2. No one is officially in until they receive acceptance notice from us. We are still verifying times, and more times will come in from this weekend's races. Ultimately, we will need to rank everyone from the first two weeks in order to determine who will make the cut." They seem to at least be pretty good about monitoring the page & responding.

A bunch of people are posting their outrage when they learn that people registering week 2 could take precedence over people who registered week 1, if they have a better time. I guess I didn't really think about how that worked either. The fact that week 2 opens adds a whole group of new potential qualfiers - you can now use any marathon run this weekend, e.g. Berlin. So theoretically the cutoff could still be >5:00.

But it won't be >6:21.

Dave

bhearn

OK so you’re welcome...