2019 Boston Marathon Thread (Read 386 times)

Up_Hill_Down

Great ideas. I'll probably try supplementing morning runs with some treadmill runs after work. Repeating a less treacherous loop is something that, for some reason, I haven't really thought about. I may have to add music (have never run with music/earbuds) to my running...

A long time ago, I was able to do lunchtime runs and that was the best; winter or summer!  But, the current job won't allow for that.

I live in Northern New England and think you have been getting some good advice. I have always taken it pretty easy in January but with Boston this year that will need to change.  I have similar constraints as you in that I have a long work day (although it is possible for me to run during the workday which I may do for the first time this winter).

I have two bits of advice to add.  The first is to be safe.  It is very dark and rural where I live so running after dark is out even with a headlamp--there is no way to make it safe with all the hills and curves around me.  Also, there are snow/ice conditions that are just not worth running in on roads.  This last winter on a snowy day where roads were not safe I was able to do a little trail running with boots.  Boots are not ideal for racing or looking fashionable and you need to find a comfortable pair but I got a good short workout in a few times last year when running with running shoes was not possible.

Second,  you need to be flexible.  You should be able to run your optimal times a week but it may not be your desired days (the obstacles can be real like and not the weather as we all know).  I do not plan days off in winter as they happen pretty much on their own.  I look at forecasts all the time to plan/adjust my runs and even when during the day.  Use the treadmill (unless you like it but it is helpful to remind people that they were invented for penal work) on days when you cannot run anyway else and it will make those sessions better.  I use the treadmill mostly for speedwork as it seems that I cannot run on them for very long (and admire those who can!).

Finally, I want to add that this is a case where the right gear matters and not just clothes.  I find that I am able to protect most of my body from the cold the one thing people sometimes do not think about is the shoe.  A lot of shoes are being made and marketed as "breathable" but these are also the shoes that let a lot of cold air (or slush) in the winter.  Find a shoe (possibly even a trail shoe) that are at least a little less breathable on the top (I had a pair of shoes I really liked but was surprised how easy cold air got in during the winter so I had to pick shoes based on temperature.

Hey! Everyone get their mailer, making the acceptance officially official?

Hope everyone's enjoying running in the cold and dark. It's gonna be time to start training soon! Anyone with an 18-week plan needs to start on 12/10; only 12 weeks for me, putting it at 1/21. Mainly base building till then, but I'm planning an HM right before starting the plan to see where things are at.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I have the 18 week plan marked to start on Dec 9 but I don’t know if I’m going to be ready to start training by that point. May do something like a 15 week plan.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Julia1971

I'm looking at making Cleveland my goal race for the spring, if only for all the people who will say, "Cleveland?!"  I actually like Cleveland for some bizarre reason, so I'm actually excited about it.  So, Boston will be a (very) long run in the middle of my training cycle.

(I'm putting together a guide for Boston on my blog.  Hoping to get it posted in early December.)

Anxiously awaiting the jacket reveal.

Dave

Julia1971

Patiently waiting for a blue one.  I skipped 2013, which was my last opportunity...  if it's brown and orange, I'll know Cleveland was the right choice for me. Smile

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Cold and dark is it these days. Gonna be a long training plan doing this in the winter. I'm going for a "do what you can" in Jan and Feb and hope to make Mar meaningful. Just want to finish Boston even if I have to walk.

I'm looking at making Cleveland my goal race for the spring, if only for all the people who will say, "Cleveland?!"  I actually like Cleveland for some bizarre reason, so I'm actually excited about it.  So, Boston will be a (very) long run in the middle of my training cycle.

(I'm putting together a guide for Boston on my blog.  Hoping to get it posted in early December.)

Julia, 1971,

Two words of caution for you about Cleveland:  1) it can get warmer / more humid than you might expect; and 2) it' s not as flat as advertised.   When I ran it in 2015, it was a warm humid day and I mistakenly tried to run the goal pace I'd trained for over the colder winter months.  As you can imagine, I ended up having a very long unhappy day.  So be willing to adjust pace if it's warm.  The last couple of miles of the course take you up a modest but steady uphill grade on a highway. Nothing severe, but you should be ready for it mentally.  Also, just past the midway point there's a turn around at the bottom of a hill.  There's a steady climb after that turnaround that you should be ready for too.  Wouldn't say it's the best PR course, but with good weather, it can be run fast.  Good luck and enjoy!

Me too!    I'm betting it's gonna be themed yellow.  Just a hunch.   Would love another traditional blue and yellow, but not holding my breath for that.

Julia1971

Julia, 1971,

Two words of caution for you about Cleveland:  1) it can get warmer / more humid than you might expect; and 2) it' s not as flat as advertised.   When I ran it in 2015, it was a warm humid day and I mistakenly tried to run the goal pace I'd trained for over the colder winter months.  As you can imagine, I ended up having a very long unhappy day.  So be willing to adjust pace if it's warm.  The last couple of miles of the course take you up a modest but steady uphill grade on a highway. Nothing severe, but you should be ready for it mentally.  Also, just past the midway point there's a turn around at the bottom of a hill.  There's a steady climb after that turnaround that you should be ready for too.  Wouldn't say it's the best PR course, but with good weather, it can be run fast.  Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks for the intel re the hills!  There's not much out there about it so this is very helpful.

I'm not sure why (*cough* *cough* global warming?) but I'm starting to feel like the weather is becoming a crap shoot for a lot of marathons.  I mean, I've done Boston in 80 degrees (2012) and freezing rain (2017).  But, May is late so I know it really could be warm so I am considering a back-up plan.  Like, I could run Boston for time if I get to March and am feeling rarin' to go.

Joann Y

Hey! Everyone get their mailer, making the acceptance officially official?

Hope everyone's enjoying running in the cold and dark. It's gonna be time to start training soon! Anyone with an 18-week plan needs to start on 12/10; only 12 weeks for me, putting it at 1/21. Mainly base building till then, but I'm planning an HM right before starting the plan to see where things are at.

I was out of town but finally arrived home to see it in the mail! I'm trying to wrap my head around this winter dark training thing. Ran with a headlamp the other day which was oddly fun. Got a new running jacket and hat to spice things up. I'm base building for around the next month. A little time to lose a couple pounds, get the foot pain under control, take a bunch of iron. What plan are you doing?

I was out of town but finally arrived home to see it in the mail! I'm trying to wrap my head around this winter dark training thing. Ran with a headlamp the other day which was oddly fun. Got a new running jacket and hat to spice things up. I'm base building for around the next month. A little time to lose a couple pounds, get the foot pain under control, take a bunch of iron. What plan are you doing?

Heh, if only lack of time was the one thing preventing us from doing this.

For my BQ race, I bought a McMillan Custom Plan online. You fill out a lengthy questionnaire about your running history and preferences, and they design a plan for you. It was the next step up for me from using a canned plan out of one of the books, but not going so far as to actually get a coach. I plan to re-use that, with some adjustments based on races I may include or exclude vs. that cycle.

Dave

Joann Y

Heh, if only lack of time was the one thing preventing us from doing this.

For my BQ race, I bought a McMillan Custom Plan online. You fill out a lengthy questionnaire about your running history and preferences, and they design a plan for you. It was the next step up for me from using a canned plan out of one of the books, but not going so far as to actually get a coach. I plan to re-use that, with some adjustments based on races I may include or exclude vs. that cycle.

I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. How's everything holding up?

How's everything holding up?

So far, so good...had an unexpectedly great workout yesterday, so that's something.

Dave

So, out of curiosity, does anyone have corral time breakdowns from the 2018 race?

I see this on the wave cutoffs from the BAA site:

The break between Wave 1 (10:00 a.m. start time) and Wave 2 (10:25 a.m. start time) is 3:09:36.
                                The break between Wave 2 and Wave 3 (10:50 a.m. start time) is 3:28:48.
                                The break between Wave 3 and Wave 4 (11:15 a.m. start time) is 3:57:39.

Also found this for previous years, but nothing updated.

Dave