Grandmas Marathon 2006 (Read 794 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

My top 10 Grandma's Marathon excuses- 10. It was more uncomfortable than the hottest marathon I have run, with 100% humidity and fog and sun, all at the same time 9. There were no Moon Pies or RC Cola at the end, so why hurry 8. The 3:40 pace group leader went out at 8:10s 7. Their sports drink is Ultima 6. My Garmin lost signal at mile 22 5. The 3:50 pace group passed me at mile 18 4. I like anagrams, and 3:40 is an anagram of 4:03 3. If I finished too fast, I might have made other runners feel bad 2. I forgot to drink a beer at mile 21, right before Lemondrop Hill 1. 4:03 is still better than last year's time by more than 1 m/m Grandma's Marathon is a great race, and the whole region, it seems, comes out to support the runners. The course is usually very scenic (when you could see it through the fog, that is). Every fluid stop has water, ice, Ultima (yum!) and every one after mile 11 also has ice cold sponges. As you approach the finish, the crowds grow, really escalating from mile 17 on in. The food in the finishers' area is fantastic, fruit, cookies, sandwitches, ice cream, smoothies, juices, beer, etc. And the medals were great this year. Shirts to finishers only. However, this year was hot and very humid. It was about 85 degrees much of the way, with a low lying fog providing 100% humidity, and a hot sun shining through. There was very little breeze. And I just never felt good, despite having done everything right (tapering, carb loading, sleeping, taking my fluids and lytes). I guess you just can't control everything. Anyhow, I am just delighted to have finished. I was shooting for an comfortable 3:40, and am delighted with my 4:03. Just about everybody I know who ran did worse than their goal, and a lot of people looked to be suffering with me. Misery and company, I have heard.
      I'd say well done in far less than ideal conditions. How many runners were there? Any idea on the average finish time? In Salt Lake a couple of weeks ago, the avg finish, due to the heat, was 4:38. A large number of runners finished in over 6 hours. The heat can just suck the energy right out of you, especially in the last 6 miles. I do like your excuses, though, and may use them in the future. Thanks for the report.
      My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I really enjoyed those, Trent! Congrats on your sub-5 finish! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks all!!
          I'd say well done in far less than ideal conditions. How many runners were there? Any idea on the average finish time? In Salt Lake a couple of weeks ago, the avg finish, due to the heat, was 4:38. A large number of runners finished in over 6 hours. The heat can just suck the energy right out of you, especially in the last 6 miles. I do like your excuses, though, and may use them in the future. Thanks for the report.
          From the GM website: number of finishers: 6909 number of females: 2606 number of males: 4303 average time: 04:30:25 I walked by the course at about 6 hours, and there were lots of people still out walking; their numbers I believe are not included in these stats. Somebody on another message board commented that the heat can suck the energy out of you fast, and I responded that, in this case, it took a full 4 hours to do so Big grin.
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

From the Grandmas Marathon race info:
            SAFETY FIRST:Grandma's Marathon has traditionally been cool, but there is always a chance the weather could be reversed. If it is warm or humid on race day, please take special precautions to avoid over-extending your limitations. We are not responsible for race-related injuries, and runners will be responsible for any medical expense they may incur. Grandma’s Marathon follows the American College of Sports Medicine color-coded flag system to let you know the risk level for cold or heat stress. Please familiarize yourself with these flag colors; they will be posted at the starting line as well as miles 9, 13, 17 and 22. BLACK FLAG (Extremely High Risk): All runners should slow their pace, drink extra fluids and those with previous heat stress problems or heat stress problems or heat disease should consider not running. RED FLAG (High Risk): All runners should slow their pace and those with previous heat stress problems or heart disease should consider not running. YELLOW FLAG (Moderate Risk): Heat stress is less, but one must be cautious as the level of stress will most likely increase during a morning race. GREEN FLAG (Low Risk): Risk is low, but once again you should be careful of symptoms of heat stress. You also need to be cautious of changing weather conditions. WHITE FLAG (Risk of Hypothermia): The risk of hypothermia is very low, but still exists especially in slow runners or in wet and windy conditions.
            Yesterday, apparently, was the first time they have ever used the Black Flag. Nice.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ouch, Trent...that sounds miserable! My hat is off to marathoners even under ideal circumstances. I'm glad you finished OK. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I especially like #4! Cool Grandma's marathon sounds like a great race (on a cool day at least)! I'm beginning to realize what a huge variable the weather (particularly the heat) can be! Great job pulling through the tough conditions and CONGRATS on finishing! Big grin
                  Trent, Congratulations on a great race. I also ran Grandma's. My goal was 3:30 and I was happy with my 3:48. Tough race with the conditions, I think my training run at the Mad City Marathon helped me a great deal. I took the advice of several and tried the Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes and I think it helped me prolong the cramping. I still had some leg cramping but not until the 23rd mile. That's were I started to fade a bit. Congratulations, again on a great time!!
                  Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Trent, Those are excellent reasons! I liked them so much that I might use some of them for my next marathon Tongue Good job on finishing in such difficult conditions. It's not fun, but you did it, and that's all that matters.

Was it all a dream?

Congrats Trent and Mike on surviving Grandma's. I also took place in that ridiculously humid race. Somehow, I was able to PR (2:44), although all I really remember from the last 10k is feeling very very thirsty. However, I don't know if I'm ever thirsty enough to drink ultima again. Saturday was the first and hopefully the last time I have to deal with that stuff. I should stop complaining, though, as the fans, race organization, and post race food made for a great experience. Again congrats.