Turkey trot on Thursday? What speed workout should I do today? (Read 442 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thinking about running a 5k this Thursday. My 5k PW will be in great jeopardy. Much like my college days, I will attempt to cram for the test. What speed workout should I do today in preparation for a Thursday race?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Scout7

None. Won't matter much at this point. If you feel the need, go do some 800s.

What Scout said. If you feel like you need to do stretch your legs out a bit, then just do a few half mile or 1000m repeats with equal or better rest. I wouldn't do more than 2 or 3 at the most at this point.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Why is it sideways?

I say 200's. 6 of them, starting at race pace and slowly getting faster. The benefit is purely psychological: to make race pace feel slow.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Thanks for the advice fellas. Well, I ended up doing 5x3 min with 3min recovery. So 800m repeats more or less (mostly less Blush ). The total distance of the workout ending up being almost exactly 5.50 miles, so that one was for Ryan Shay. R.I.P. As for the race, who knows if I'll do it. Between moving into a house, Turkey Day prep and the like, it's kinda doubtful, but if I do go, I'm pretty comfortable with my A Goal of being under 20:00. B Goal of 19:30 would be tough but possible. However, that C Goal of <19:00 to preserve my 5k pw of 18:59 would be really tough unless it's nice and cold and i remember how to htfu my way through the dry heave threshold. xx( jeff, i like the psychological 200m reps and will probably throw some into tues or wed's run as striders. to="" preserve="" my="" 5k="" pw="" of="" 18:59="" would="" be="" really="" tough="" unless="" it's="" nice="" and="" cold="" and="" i="" remember="" how="" to="" htfu="" my="" way="" through="" the="" dry="" heave="" threshold.="" xx(="" jeff,="" i="" like="" the="" psychological="" 200m="" reps="" and="" will="" probably="" throw="" some="" into="" tues="" or="" wed's="" run="" as=""></19:00 to preserve my 5k pw of 18:59 would be really tough unless it's nice and cold and i remember how to htfu my way through the dry heave threshold. xx( jeff, i like the psychological 200m reps and will probably throw some into tues or wed's run as striders.>

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.