Easy days? (Read 1037 times)

Ok so i have decided to start running but i dont have very much endurance yet. i have decided to take the alternating hard and easy every day approach. right now on my hard days i am running about 1/4 mile and walking about 1/4 mile and i alternate for 2 miles. thats a good workout for me right now. what should i do on my easy days? just walk? nothing?
    Goals: Run.
      Welcome to running! I think you should check out the Couch to 5K Program. A lot of us on here have found our way to running through this program.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Hawt and sexy

If you are just starting, you should probably do easy/easy and add hard days much later. It saves a ton of injuries later.

I'm touching your pants.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Welcome to running! I think you should check out the Couch to 5K Program. A lot of us on here have found our way to running through this program.
          Yep, as of sometime after noon on Oct. 5 I will be a marathoner who started with C25k about 2.5 years prior. Smile There is also a great C25k and One Hour Runner group here.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

C25K is the way to go. Personally, I've never used it-- I ran in high school and college and did my own version of a "comeback" 2 years ago. But since then, I've successfully trained my 12 year old daughter w/ C25K and am currently mid-way through training my wife the same way. For the beginner, I truly believe it's the ultimate thing to do. Good luck! Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Like many others I have never used the c25k program, but a lot of new runners in this web site have and they all rave about it.........Its a program designed by professionals to take people like you that have not been runners thru the beginning stages........all new runners in RA that have used it have really liked it......definately you should check it out...........and ask lots of question in here - the people here give great advice....

Champions are made when no one is watching

I am going to ... err third the suggestion for the C25K. I finished it at the end of June and I had great success with it. I'm not running laps around the moon at great speed or anything but I just ran a little over 5K today and it was pretty easy and I haven't been hurt in the process.
                The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                • Complete a 10K fun run
                  Confession: When I first read the C25K program I thought, OK the first 4 weeks are kind of wimpy (at the time I could run something similar to what you outlined, like quarter mile intervals). Then I got thinking and realized every time I attempted a running program on my own like that, I failed. So I started C25K, and you know what? It works. It eases you in so you don't get too burnt out. And before you know it, W5 comes along and suddenly you're running for 20 minutes straight. I had a few bumps along the way, a knee injury that set me out for about a week and recently my schedule has been hectic and it's taken me longer than a week to get through each program week, but overall it's been a success and I'm now running for longer than I ever have in my entire life (25 minutes last night, I'm in W7). It really is a good program for beginners.
                  2009 Goals:
                  PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                  Run a 10K
                  Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                  Complete my first Sprint Tri

TRIing to beat the heat!

I agree with all of the other posters who recommended that you take a good look at the C25K plan at CoolRunning.com Anything 'hard' should be saved for months and months down the road once you have established your running base. 'Hard' workouts right now (without any base) will set you up for injury... this I promise you. The C25K program is a great way to build your base properly... slowly. Good luck!

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Ditto on the C25K. It is a great program.

TRUST THE PROCESS

colinw

Another voice of support for C25K. It is awesome. I started on March 7th, and my longest run to date has been about 9k which I did comfortably. I also ran my first 5k in mid June in 26:27. When I started in March I could barely finish the first 60 sec runningi nterval. I tried many times in the past to run and would just go out and end up hating it because I didn't have a plan. C25K is amazing and everytime I think about it I am glad I did it and shocked I can actually run how I do now. Even better it is free - if I had to pay for it I would, that is how good it is. Good luck with your training, and at least give the program a look. I am sure there are other good ones out there, but that is the one that finally got me running.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

last year I tried to do too much. I was even doing some fartlek runs. I was out of shape and just getting back into running after 20+ years of falling farther and farther out of shape. As a former decent runner I fell into the trap of thinking I could do more than I really should have tried. this year... I do almost all easy runs. once in a while I run a 5k or tempo run but nothing crazy. I am doing much better and improving slowly. to run you need to improve a little at a time and don't overtax your body. If you go from 5 miles a week to 15 you probably will be risking injury. If you start trying to run sprints... you probably will be risking injury.

Just another comment about the C25K to build on something said above. My hubby felt the first few weeks were too easy as well. He was in better cardio shape than me and could run uninterrupted for more than the initial 60 seconds so he decided to skip some weeks early on. I've heard of others doing this too. Thing is, a couple weeks in and his knees were all messed up. He had to stop and now, months later he is back starting at the beginning. So even if your cardio is up to it, remember that there is heaps more to running than the cardio and bones and tendons take a long time to adjust to new loads. Even if you are running more now, if you are new to running why not just start at the beginning. I know that I wanted to jump ahead too but I'm so glad I didn't. Even if those first 4 weeks feel easy, remember that they are there to get your body ready for what happens in week 5 and beyond.
                            The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                            • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                            • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                            • Complete a 10K fun run

Hawt and sexy

If it's the same C25k on CR, I don't like it and never have. The only reason is that it has you run for x minutes and walk for x minutes for a total of say 20 minutes. While this if fine for someone doing intervals, it's not so great for a beginning runner that needs to go slow anyway. I understand it is a successful program, but generally the next thing we had to tell people that had completed the program was slow down since the program had no instruction as to what the correct speed was for a beginner. The old CR forums had tons of threads where the C25K grad would have all sorts of aches and pains but what to do next. We would just tell them all to slow down and keep running. Sometimes they even listened. i say slow down in the first place and just run for 20 minutes. My many seasons of starting over in the past tell me this is very possible. Just pick a pace where you are not breathing hard. That way, you are more likely to stick with running long term, if that is your goal. At first you will have running at an easy pace, that will be a 'hard' day. The easy day will be rest. It's very straight forward really. You are 16, join the cross country team at school. Tell the coach you are just running for fitness and not speed, and practice with the team. If you feel up to it, run in a couple of meets. You don't have to take the sport seriously to join a team. You also will probably help keep a cross country team from getting cut. Also, I see in the profile that running is something the OP wants to use to make them 'feel less guilty about eating.' You should feel the same amount of guilt over eating that you do over breathing. My point? You need to eat to live. If you feel guilt over eating, running will not help you. Seeing a doctor and discussing this problem you have with food with them might help you. Running might help control weight or it might send you to the hospital when combined with an extreme diet. Let's try to be healthy about food, excersize and our bodies. 5 foot 4 and 128 is not huge in anybody's book. Being 16 tells me you are still growing. Worry about eating later and concentrate on healthy food now. Never feel guilty about something you need to live.

I'm touching your pants.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, I understand what you're saying, Willamona, but if someone had told me two years ago, "Start out by running 20 minutes, very slowly," I never would have tried it. Way too intimidating. The ONLY reason I started running was my friend saying, "You don't have to go far - just run from one telephone pole to the next, and then walk to the one after that. I'll go with you, too." Of course, I was terribly out of shape and 30 pounds overweight, so I'm different from the OP! I'm just saying that C25K worked for me because it removed the fear factor. I should add that my friend DID tell me to go very slowly, and that was a new concept, also, after feeling bad for years about being the slowest kid in the entire 8th grade.