Time loss... (Read 81 times)

Larrylafite

I am a 64-year-old guy who has been making steady progress over the last 18 months running up to 3 miles at roughly a 10 minute pace. Recently I lost about 40 seconds per mile on my time for no apparent reason and haven’t been able to get it back. Anybody have any issues like this?

GinnyinPA

Could be you aren't running enough miles each week to maintain your fitness. Could be you are more stiff for some reason and so your pace is shorter. Could be your cadence is slower. Could be heat/humidity. Could be iron/ferritin levels. Could be heart or breathing issues.

You don't really give enough information to know.  If you feel like running is more of an effort than it was, go to your doctor.

Larrylafite

Thanks for the reply. .. I have been seeing a cardiologist, and everything looks good on that front.

I have been running 3 to 4 times a week, 2 1/2 to 2 and three-quarter’s miles, plus one day of 1 mile at a faster pace… I had been continuing to make progress in lowering my time and extending my distance since I started about 18 months ago .

Then about six weeks ago, with no change in any medication, or any physical issues that I was aware of, I just hit a wall and it set me back approximately 40 seconds to 1 minute per mile slower…

I’ve had blood workouts,  and according to the doctors there is nothing out of the ordinary... I am just healthy… The strange thing was how I was making steady consistent progress and then hit this major Roadblock.

It has become a real struggle for me just to complete my distance now at a reasonable time…???

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

You could try slowly adding to the length of each run.

3 miles at 10 minute pace is good for 64.

But i would increase one run a week slowly up to 7-8 miles

You have made a lot of improvement on low miles.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Do you run any races? Assuming you have no health issues, maybe you just need some Magical Race Day Motivation to get you going.

Larrylafite

I was adding 1/4 mile every month or so...basically increase my distance while maintaining my pace (roughly 9 minute mile on flat ground)...then I just hit a wall where my time per mile degraded by 40 seconds or so...it was if I aged 5 years in a day running wise...I haven’t got close to my average “good” time

Larrylafite

I enjoyed the magical race day suggestion tho