Elevation Question (Read 560 times)

I am going to Mammoth this weekend and am wondering what to expect in regards to elevation change. I live at about 600 above sea level and Mammoth is 7900. That seems like a HUGE change in elevation. Just wondering if you can give a newbie any ideas what to expect, and any tips for dealing with it. I am scheduled to run 4 or 4.5 mi. on Sat. and 3 on Mon. But factoring in the elevation I was thinking I would be happy with even 3 on both days. Does that sound reasonable??? Thanks for any insights!
    HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I train at ~ 7000 feet. The coaches up here have indicated a 5% difference in pace/mile (altitude versus sea). So for 8 min/mile would likely add 20-30 seconds to your pace for same level of exertion. My main recommendation is to just slow down when you are tired. If you have been running the difference will be noticeable but not to the extent to that you cannot have a good run.

• Black Canyon 100k
      • RRR
      • Zane Grey 100k
      • High Lonesome 100
      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
      • The Bear 100
      • Javelina Jundred (?)
        Another thing to be careful of is hydration. You are going to be 7000+ feet above sea level where the sun will be stronger and more likely than not, the humidity will be lower. Even though you may not feel like you are losing a lot of water you may be because in high and dry climates (like where I live) the sweat evaporates before it even gets a chance to form. Also, because you have less atmosphere between you and the sun, make sure you use sunscreen! Terie (Albuquerque, NM)
        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
          Thanks for the tips! I am just thrilled that I have found a passion for running that drives me to WANT to run in new places and on vacation! Big grin