Burpees and running (Read 2037 times)

ud32

I recently just heard about Burpee excercise - tried it at the gym - got through 15 and was gassed!! I'd like to incorpate them(and maybe sets of "mountain climbers") 2 or 3x a week into my training. Should I do them on my running days or rest days ? Before or after I run if on running day ? How many ?

Saw a routine online that suggested Burpees for 20 seconds, then 10 second rest - repeat.

Any suggestions let me know.

A Saucy Wench

Doesnt really matter.  They do kick your ass but I've never noticed them to really impact my running wherever I throw them in.   Well.  They might impact my running if I threw sets of them in the middle of my run. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

They hurt my feet.  I can't do them.   It's the pushing off that does it.   Ouch!  

I have to modify them a bit, so I'm not getting the same workout.  

BTW, burpees are a big hit in prisons. 

- Anya

I did a set of  3 X 12 a few weeks ago and could not run the next 4 days without my calves screaming in pain. May try them again just because I want to see if I get that pain again Smile

I love the workout you can get from burpies. if you want to make them even harder, rather than just coming up to a standing position, replace the slow up motion with a thrust jump as high as you can.  Then, you'll really be gassed. The are even more variations you can do to make them harder. 

They're great for over-all fitness, but don't expect them to help your running much.

to go one step further, when you jump at the end of the burpee, jump up & grab a bar & do a pull-up or chin-up & immediately go back to a burpee.  no rest between.  used to do 3-4 sets of these  within a strength training w/o & then quickly back to w/o.  killers.  of course don't anymore.  nowadays,  too much talk, not enough action.  maybe I will actually get to the gym today.  ha ha

seriously speaking,  like anything new that adds stress take it slow (meaning only throw in a few when just starting doing them) & slowly progress from there.  they will not directly help your running but over time will help with overall fitness.  so as long as they do not affect your running in a negative way (not hamper current or future training for running) they are great to do.

does not really matter when you do them, experiment & see how it works for you.  just begin easy.  maybe instead of 15 at a time, do 2 sets of 10 somewhere within your w/o.  switch it up

A Saucy Wench

I love the workout you can get from burpies. if you want to make them even harder, rather than just coming up to a standing position, replace the slow up motion with a thrust jump as high as you can.  Then, you'll really be gassed. The are even more variations you can do to make them harder. 

They're great for over-all fitness, but don't expect them to help your running much.

I thought the jump up WAS part of the standard burpee? 

I'm too short to try the pull up method...or the pull up bars in my gym are too high.  Even jumping as I high as I can no way can I grab the bar.  Not that I could do more than a couple pullups anyway.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I thought the jump up WAS part of the standard burpee? 

I'm too short to try the pull up method...or the pull up bars in my gym are too high.  Even jumping as I high as I can no way can I grab the bar.  Not that I could do more than a couple pullups anyway.

I think with most body weight exercises, there's variations for degrees of difficulty. Even on youtube, you can find umpteen different ways of doing burpies. For example, not all of them include a push up as part of it.

When we did these in HS wrestling, we didn't do the jump, but rather than going down in a controlled manner, we'd kick back our feet and land on our hands and toes with our feet all the way back, as if blocking a take down.   We'd do 50 to 100 -- yikes.

When we did these in HS wrestling, we didn't do the jump, but rather than going down in a controlled manner, we'd kick back our feet and land on our hands and toes with our feet all the way back, as if blocking a take down.   We'd do 50 to 100 -- yikes.

that's how I used to do them, add a push up & then  with the pull-up or chin-up added.   like I said how I "used" to do them, & even then no where near 50+     ha ha

ud32

seriously speaking,  like anything new that adds stress take it slow (meaning only throw in a few when just starting doing them) & slowly progress from there......

does not really matter when you do them, experiment & see how it works for you.  just begin easy.  maybe instead of 15 at a time, do 2 sets of 10 somewhere within your w/o.  switch it up

Sounds like a good plan. I'll try adding them once or twice a week. Sees like something that is this tough would be beneficial to add - slowly as suggested. Thanks

xor

What did we call these backintheday?  I don't remember, but I know it wasn't 'burpee'.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What did we call these backintheday?  I don't remember, but I know it wasn't 'burpee'.

We called 'em seeds.

We called it a Squat Thrust and I have never done one since elementary school.

xor

We called it a Squat Thrust and I have never done one since elementary school.

THATS IT!

Thanks

A Saucy Wench

Squat thrusts are usually not including the jump up part.  Or at least that is what we always called it if you just went squat to plank to squat to plank.