Marathon training or am I stupid (Read 163 times)

jharris344

OK. I fell on Halloween while mopping my floors. Found out a week later that I had ruptured two discs (one middle back, the second, L5, had the most damage). I had 10 days of excruciating pain managed via pain killers and anti-inflammatories but no surgery. I had one PT session in January of last year and was told to work on my core and stretch. I waited until February of this year to ease back into running (walk/run). I'm up to 3 miles without breaks and no pain during or after running.

Am I stupid to think about training for a marathon in late November? I've run 4 so far over the course of 3 years and was training for two more last year before the fall. I'm not cross training but I am working my core as well as my upper body. I have no pain and can only tell I've had an injury when I move a certain way or lift with my back instead of my knees. My doctor told me the running didn't cause the ruptures but said running won't help them any. I figure 8 months is enough time to get back into running shape and begin adding on the mileage necessary for a 26 mile race or two during the season.

So, am I stupid or just crazy?

an amazing likeness

False dichotomy.

If a qualified Doc says it wont do any harm to train, then it's a non-issue. If a qualified Doc says it will do harm, then it's an issue that only you can decide.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

BeeRunB

You can not marathon train and still be stupid... I suggest taking it slow from where you are through the summer, building just a little bit each week (5%) in duration of your runs (capping off at some point on easy days), staying easy and aerobic, and see where you are come August. Take recovery when you need it, don't push through. Just let your body get there in its time. Good luck! 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Assuming you don't have to register months in advance, why not just see how the training goes? At least hold off until near registration cutoff. Then, decide whether it's more prudent to do shorter distances and not be in a hurry for the long one.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+1 with everyone else. Peak marathon season can easily last until late Feb - early March in the southern USA.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/