Chiropractor, piriformis syndrome? (Read 130 times)

buck4life15

I started to feel the effects of an IT band and patella tendonitis in mid July.  Physical therapy seemed to relieve these symptoms.  In the process, I changed my gait a bit and ended up with piriformis syndrome.  I have been back in PT for this for the past 3 1/2 weeks.  Symptoms include pain in the glute, hamstring, lower leg and a tingling sensation along with pain down my thigh.  Haven't run more than 1/2 mile in past few weeks.  Stretching 3x day along with ice and heat.  I received a cortisone shot about a week ago.  Some relief but not great.  I am also getting a deep tissue massage once a week.  Does anyone have any experience working with a chiropractor when it comes to the piriformis?  Haven't been for a good, pain free run since July and it is driving me nuts!

JanaLamb

I haven't personally experience this,  but a friend of mine did. The chiropractor was able to recommend her stretches and exercises that can help her with the pain, without taking medications. You should also ask for advice.

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

I've been dealing with piriformis syndrome for close to a year now.  Years ago I came down with it and it was quickly relieved after visiting a physical therapist.   I visited a different physical therapist this Summer that did me absolutely no good.  I do all the stretches they taught me, you can find a million of them on the internet.  The best things that I found though to relieve it are a heating pad which I lay on right under my butt for 5 or 10 minutes before I go running.  And using a foam roller and a baseball to roll on work well for me.  I'd like to try something the size of a large softball too.  Other people use tennis balls.  I could be wrong but I think the hard ball works better.   Sometimes I might take one Aleve aka Naproxen before I go running too.  I'm quite happy with the job it does.  I don't want to over do it with Aleve though.  So the most I'll take is 1 a week.  In my case I take half an Aleve.  I do feel I'm making progress now at getting rid of the pain, although it's still with me.  Perhaps I might try a physical therapist again or chiropractor if I get real annoyed with it again.

Prince of Fatness

Lacrosse ball is what you want, Red Bird.

Not at it at all. 

I haven't personally experience this,  but a friend of mine did. The chiropractor was able to recommend her stretches and exercises that can help her with the pain, without taking medications. You should also ask for advice.

It is frustrating. There are stretches/exercises/foam rolling which helped me get through this without taking meds or going to a chiro or PT.  However, I have an incredible massage therapist who understood the problem. I was still able to run but took it easy on the intensity and hill repeats. Took rest days. There are plenty of suggestions on ways to relieve the discomfort on the internet.  Like any other injury, it takes time, patience and consistency.  Hope you get relief soon.

kilkee

runktrun

From research and personal experience, I think the other half of the solution is getting surrounding muscles not just strengthened, but firing properly.  Piriformis can get strained because it is picking up the slack for other muscles (glute med, eg). It is a medium sized external rotator, but may work to extend the hip when glute med and max have checked out of the equation (hammies can over work in this situation, as well).  Getting the glutes to fire can allow the piriformis spasming to calm down.  What worked for me was incorporating plyometrics into my strength/PT routine. Things like jump squats, jump lunges, single leg jumps, etc forced the gutes to fire and also helped with balance and proprioception.  Let me know if you want specific exercises.  The prehab/rehab of heating & massaging is important, too!  But I didn't get anywhere with that alone.  Let us know how you are progressing!

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

King of PhotoShop

What kilkee said.

kilkee

runktrun

Oh, and specifically relating to a chiropractor:  It is possible that your posterior chain is out of what because your SI joint slipped out of place.  Some people in the medical community are adamant that the SI joint is physically incapable of slipping/dislocating to any degree that would cause discomfort, but chiropractors and some PTs will tell you otherwise.  If you haven't tried a chiropractor yet, it might be worth finding one who is very familiar with runners and will listen to your complaints and assess your mechanics before cracking you. You should feel some immediate relief, but then will still have to work on strengthening your glutes and core to maintain those gains.  Don't feel pressured to let the chiro crack things that make you feel uncomfortable (like the neck!).  A good chiro should explain all the manipulation techniques.

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

What kilkee said.

Agreed. I'm still working a similar issue that seems to be helped temporarily (can get ready to run) with a stiff foam roller and seems to be improving overtime by doing squats. Good luck.

buck4life15

Really appreciate all of the advice and insight!  I've been rolling on a lacrosse ball at night. Ouch!  I'd love to work on some things that would get my glutes firing but, unfortunately, squats and jumps seem to really irritate the IT band/runner's knee.  PT hasn't really seemed to do very much to help any of my issues.  In fact, I am beginning to think that some of the exercises that I've been doing might be irritating things.  I got fed up the day after Thanksgiving and went for a two mile run.  Took it easy as a slow pace.  I actually felt much better for a few days before returning to the PT earlier this week.  I am scheduled to see someone for acupuncture next week.  Willing to try anything at this point!

kilkee

runktrun

This will isolate your glutes and minimize hamstring involvement:  http://www.restorept.com/DELETED%20PICTURES%20FILES/HEP%20Tr6.gif

Even put your hand on your butt and feel those glutes go!

Maybe try 2 x 10 reps of jump squats and just work though the knee pain.  The ITB/knee problems could also be related to your glutes/hips... Just a suggestion.  Obv stop if you really feel like you're doing more damage.

Prince of Fatness

This will isolate your glutes and minimize hamstring involvement:  http://www.restorept.com/DELETED%20PICTURES%20FILES/HEP%20Tr6.gif

I have added this to my core routine.  Thanks for posting it.

Not at it at all. 

kilkee

runktrun

That's a good one.  Just play around with different combinations of glute and core exercises and record what you did and how you felt the following day.  Most of the simple isometric PT exercises did nothing for me, but plyometrics gave me a 50% improvement within a week.  Everyone is different.  My best advice would be to research various glute & posterior chain maladies, scrutinize anatomical diagrams, and understand your own body.  Everyone is different. Smile