Rest Days/Recovery (Read 900 times)

I've been running for about a year now, and I'm wondering what the best way to stay injury free is (since I always seem to have something or other bothering me). I'm still at pretty low mileage (15-20mpw), but I'd love to work up to double that if my legs would only cooperate with me a little more. So my question is: what is the best way to let your body recover and adjust to running? Full days off? Slow, short runs? Maybe low impact cross training? I'm an active person, so it bothers me to take a day or two completely off. Plus I don't get to put anything in the log (and the pace bunny is taunting me)!

The Greatest of All Time

The answer is going to depend completely on your body's ability to recover between runs. Of course longer runs or runs of high intensity need more recovery time than shorter or easier runs. Your age and body weight also enter into the calculus. Given your current weekly mileage try one day on, one day off and see how that works. If that works and you want to add more mileage take one of your rest days and do an easy (recovery) run in place of a rest day. As far as increasing weekly mileage goes, at your level try adding 2 miles per week and go from there unitl you get where you want to be. But as you add weekly mileage be willing to accept you might need more rest along the way. Just listen to your body because it never lies, we just tend to ignore it at our own peril sometimes.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      JakeKnight

I've been running for about a year now, and I'm wondering what the best way to stay injury free is (since I always seem to have something or other bothering me). I'm still at pretty low mileage (15-20mpw), but I'd love to work up to double that if my legs would only cooperate with me a little more. So my question is: what is the best way to let your body recover and adjust to running? Full days off? Slow, short runs? Maybe low impact cross training? I'm an active person, so it bothers me to take a day or two completely off. Plus I don't get to put anything in the log (and the pace bunny is taunting me)!
        I think this is one of those areas that are pretty personal and require a lot of experimentation over time. So my answer may or may not apply to you. But for me ... the single greatest improvement to my running - in all aspects - came when I eliminated days off completely. I still take days off, of course, but not on purpose; if I skip days, its because I was lazy or something in real life intruded. But I schedule no days off, especially as marathons are approaching. Instead of feeling weak, I feel much stronger. I'm climbing up through 60 miles per week now, and my legs feel fresher than ever. But there is definitely a specific point of diminishing returns. For me, at the moment, I think its close to 60 mpw. At 70, I'll likely feel a few aches and pains, and if I climb to 80 I'll be flirting with injury. This is actually one of the ways I've seen my condition improve. A year ago, 40-45 miles per week was that optimal amount of running for me - 60 would have hurt. Now it feels wonderful. Now the critical part: all of the above assumes that four days per week (at least) are truly slow, easy runs. Those easy days are as important, I think, as the hard days. Maybe more so. All that easy mileage has made me much better at handling hard days. Your mileage on all the above will definitely vary. Be careful. MTA: By the way, the first time somebody told me I should consider running 7 days a week, I thought it was literally the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. I was sure I'd be crippled. It's sure not the advice you get from Galloway or Higdon. So skepticism and caution are to be expected. But I was wrong ... it worked for me.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

So my question is: what is the best way to let your body recover and adjust to running? Full days off? Slow, short runs?
          Run Slowly most of the time. If you can't bring yourself to running 90 sec to 2 minutes a mile slower than you're capable of then take the rest days. I don't believe your runs have to be short if you run slowly.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Giff, I try to mix things up a bit to reduce repetitive stress. When I was having foot problems when I first started, my feet would swell on easy, flat stuff, so I tended to run 3 days / wk the eventually every other day. I almost always biked to work, so there was seldom a day of nothing. Now (retired) I'm generally 2 on / 1 "off", but the "off" might be xc skiing, mtn biking, trail work, or nada. My body still dislikes flat stuff, so for my easy days, I generally run some rolling hilly trails (if not icy like now). I very seldom go 2 days without running or at least doing something run-like, weight-bearing. The exception may be a major recovery week after a many hour race (38 mi) or after summer season (or winter season), in which case I may back off except for some walking for a couple days, which helps with recovery. My regular schedule (when I can run hills without snow and ice) has enough hills in it, that my body responds better to a "key" workout every 3 days - usually "key", easy, off, repeat - although I may switch things around. If I run the "off" day, I tend not to recover adequately. If I run really short (say 30 min), it's not worth the trouble for me and it does interfere with my recovery. That's not to say it'll be that way forever. Last year I struggled with this frequency. This year I'm doing it on snowshoes and usually can maintain the quality of runs (quality right now = not slogging, even in snow). If our snow were firm, I'd be running longer. It's something you'll have to figure as you go. Listen to your body.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            jeffdonahue

I know I had the same worries. I alwasy have some little tweak or twinge going on in my knees, ankles, shins, etc... and I used to think "How can people run 40, 50 100 miles a week without their knees just saying - Ummmm...no." Then I hired a coach this year and he has me up to 35-40 miles per week and I am surprised and how little the difference feels. Granted, you do need to build up to it at a moderate pace I think. I wouldnt jump from 20 to 40 but using the above advice of increasing a few miles per week I think you will be shocked at what your body can take.
              mikeymike

MTA: By the way, the first time somebody told me I should consider running 7 days a week, I thought it was literally the stupidest thing I'd ever heard.
                Are you sure you didn't use stronger language than that? I agree with JK, though. After an adjustment period you may find that you feel much better and recover faster doing short, very easy runs on your recovery days versus doing no running at all.

Runners run

JakeKnight

Are you sure you didn't use stronger language than that?
                  Did I call you a %(!@#$ing idiot at the time? Or was I just thinking it? I can't remember. Yup. You. And boy was I wrong on that one. Headed out right now for 17 miles after 8 straight days, one day off in the last 10, and my legs feel great. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has been of more benefit than just running every day.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Thanks for some great advice! Just a little more info about me: I'm 27, 5'9 and about 165-170. I do most of my runs at an easy 7:45 - 8:15 pace which is about 1:45-2:00/mile slower than 5k pace. I run a mix of road and treadmill for now, but as soon as the trails thaw that'll be about 60% road, 40% trail which should help my legs a bit. I really like the idea of running 6-7 days a week. I've tried every other day, and usually that works well for a month or two before something starts bothering me. So here goes... I did my first slow 2m run on an off day yesterday. My legs were achy, but after I iced I felt ok. We'll see how today goes (4-5m easy pace) - lucky me, I even have a snowstorm to run through! Jeff, I notice that I'm right around the corner from you in Somerville. If you don't mind me asking, where did you find your coach?
                    mikeymike

Giff if you're looking for a group to train with, check out THESE GUYS. Good group, fun loving and a range of abilities and competitive temperaments. They work out at Tufts. BTW, I'm a few miles up 93 in Reading.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nothing, and I mean nothing, has been of more benefit than just running every day.
                        Interesting that you say this. I've looked at a couple of intermediate marathon training plans (and have a couple of other books on their way from Amazon) and they both have 2 rest or cross train days. I'm kind of wondering if I might be further ahead to run at least 6 days/week, spreading the mileage out a bit or maybe even getting an extra 4-5 miles in/week. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

invisible

Don't be a mileage whore. Smile
                          90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't be a mileage whore. Smile
                            Hey, I've got shoes, gear, and gadgetry...mileage should be next on my list! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

invisible

It depends on what your current average weekly mileage is now. Be a quality whore. It even sounds right! Smile
                              90 percent of the game is not giving up.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Right now I am at ~30mpw. I will soon be training for a 25k in mid-May and plan to get close to 40mpw training for that. I'd like to be up to 50 before the marathon. Right now I'm planning on 5 days of training to get there (shorter easy runs, mid-length run, 20 miler, speed/hills), but I wonder if 6 days/week is going to benefit me more than 5. It wouldn't be difficult at all for me to add an extra day of running, especially as the days get longer.

~ Sarah Kay